Remember the 2 TKD TMAs bashers. This is how one of them fights

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagreed because these individuals do more than simply just talk **** about other arts. One of them "started" their own "federation" which in the very name art bashes, FTF "Functional Tae Kwon Do Federation", implying all the other takes on Tae Kwon do are not functional.

This idiot is in no position to teach anybody anything and literally has a place rented out in Toronto where he teaches his nonsense. It is one to talk **** about other martial arts but it's a whole different situation when you go teaching others how do be crap whilst having the biggest chip on your shoulder.

So no, it doesn't effect you at all but my point here is it is more than just some morons running their mouths.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagreed because these individuals do more than simply just talk **** about other arts. One of them "started" their own "federation" which in the very name art bashes, FTF "Functional Tae Kwon Do Federation", implying all the other takes on Tae Kwon do are not functional.

This idiot is in no position to teach anybody anything and literally has a place rented out in Toronto where he teaches his nonsense. It is one to talk **** about other martial arts but it's a whole different situation when you go teaching others how do be crap whilst having the biggest chip on your shoulder.

So no, it doesn't effect you at all but my point here is it is more than just some morons running their mouths.
So what why does it upset you so much. There's a lot worse things happening in the world then that

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So what why does it upset you so much. There's a lot worse things happening in the world then that

It's annoying because this negatively impacts other people, people who are naive and will think "oh this guy is so cool and experienced." When in reality he isn't, he has been caught in several lies before and when it comes time to back them up, he performs like poop.

Again performing like poop is ok, I myself am not the greatest ever and don't always do well but even then, I don't act like I am some hot shot and go open my own place. I have the understanding that I am in no right to teach anything yet.

Not only does this, give people bad instruction for their money, but his attitude will also turn naive newcomers in martial arts away from other fighting arts they may very well enjoy. The guy literally says all martial arts besides boxing, muay thai, bjj, and wrestling are useless. Keep in mind that this very statement doesn't make any damn sense, considering he is teaching TKD or at least his bastardized version of it.

He released a book called "ways to spot a mcdojo" or something like that, he himself fits like half the bill... It urks me because there is just so much irony here.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He was the guy in the black shorts, from what I see the match was basically decided due to his larger size, and longer limbs. As much as I dislike the ******* he did well here, but I doubt the result would have been the same against someone his own weight class lol.
The guy that he was fighting didn't understand how to fight someone with a longer reach. He stayed on the outside too much and should have been working on closing that distance and staying within his power range which is shorter than someone who is taller. The result would have been different if he understood this and had a strategy for fighting someone who is taller.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's annoying because this negatively impacts other people, people who are naive and will think "oh this guy is so cool and experienced." When in reality he isn't, he has been caught in several lies before and when it comes time to back them up, he performs like poop.

Again performing like poop is ok, I myself am not the greatest ever and don't always do well but even then, I don't act like I am some hot shot and go open my own place. I have the understanding that I am in no right to teach anything yet.

Not only does this, give people bad instruction for their money, but his attitude will also turn naive newcomers in martial arts away from other fighting arts they may very well enjoy. The guy literally says all martial arts besides boxing, muay thai, bjj, and wrestling are useless. Keep in mind that this very statement doesn't make any damn sense, considering he is teaching TKD or at least his bastardized version of it.

He released a book called "ways to spot a mcdojo" or something like that, he himself fits like half the bill... It urks me because there is just so much irony here.
You must have read some of the youtube comments about the video.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy that he was fighting didn't understand how to fight someone with a longer reach. He stayed on the outside too much and should have been working on closing that distance and staying within his power range which is shorter than someone who is taller. The result would have been different if he understood this and had a strategy for fighting someone who is taller.

Back up, back up, then shoot forward. The problem was also he was at least 15 kg heavier too though.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem was also he was at least 15 kg heavier too though.
This is a fundamental principle of war: Fight the fight you can win. :) But that weight difference should not be allowed. Or should it?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a fundamental principle of war: Fight the fight you can win. :) But that weight difference should not be allowed. Or should it?

That all depends on the sport and training. For self defense training I say yes, the majority of the people who will @#$& with you are going to be bigger people.

But for sport I think it is very important to go by weight classes.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back up, back up, then shoot forward. The problem was also he was at least 15 kg heavier too though.
Size isn't as big of a handicap as people present it. If you understand what you are doing then you can beat someone bigger, taller, stronger, heavier. Here's a few examples. Real fights of untrained people. One bigger the other smaller.

I train with a self-defense focus, so my training takes into consideration there will be a size, weight, height, age, and strength disadvantages for me. Granted that I way 200lbs now at 5'9. It doesn't mean that someone who weighs 160 at 5'9 can't beat me. In self-defense you have to have strategies for these type of scenarios.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Size matters, at least for similar skill. This is way weight classes exist. Miocic touch me once and I am death. Another guy of the same level but 50 kg touch me a couple of times and probably I will still be there fighting.

For self-defence, yeah we may have other tricks not allowed in competition. As well as the opponent. Such as weapons or a backup team. Training is fun. Results in real life are quite random... as well as the situations we may find.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Size matters, at least for similar skill.
There are too many videos out that shows otherwise. Even in life with animals you can find small animals beating or standing their ground against larger animals. I don't know why people are so scared of size like that where size is not the determining factor of a win. There are other factors that are more reliable on determining who will win other than size. Even when they are of the same skill level.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For self-defence, yeah we may have other tricks not allowed in competition. As well as the opponent. Such as weapons or a backup team.
I don't need a weapon to beat someone who is taller, bigger, or stronger than me. The only thing I need is a strategy that works well against someone who is taller or someone who is bigger or someone who is stronger. The taller person may not be as coordinated as I am. The bigger person may not have the same cardio that I do because he has to carry the extra weight. The stronger person may be stronger in a limited way meaning that it may not be functional strength. Maybe the stronger person can't take a punch. Having muscles and being conditioned against punches aren't the same thing. Maybe the stronger person has ROM issues due to how he built muscles.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
here is what people think of when they say that size matters

If the small guy tries to wrestle the big guy the same way as he does little guys, then yes it matters. But this thinking is flawed in sport and fighting because why would try to take the same solution to wrestling a small guy and try to apply it to someone bigger? One can clearly see that a new plan or approach is needed, so it only makes sense that the smaller person's strategy and approach has to be different.
Royce Gracie proves my point. Notice that his approach for the big isn't the same as his approach for someone his size

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Size matters, at least for similar skill. This is way weight classes exist. Miocic touch me once and I am death. Another guy of the same level but 50 kg touch me a couple of times and probably I will still be there fighting.

For self-defence, yeah we may have other tricks not allowed in competition. As well as the opponent. Such as weapons or a backup team. Training is fun. Results in real life are quite random... as well as the situations we may find.

I don't win if I get out of the cage in the UFC; I do however "win" if I get out of the cage in real SD. That's the fundamental difference between when SD gets physical and sport fighting.

IMO weight, size and strength differences are far more likely to favor someone in sport fighting than in SD. In SD, when you're outsized, outweighed, etc. all you need to do is stun them for just long enough to get away. Far easier said than done though. In competition, you've got to beat your opponent. That size, weight, and strength advantage works more and more in their favor the longer the fight goes.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO weight, size and strength differences are far more likely to favor someone in sport fighting than in SD. In SD, when you're outsized, outweighed, etc. all you need to do is stun them for just long enough to get away. Far easier said than done though.
Good point. We read all the time how women beat a larger and stronger person long enough to get away. Even little girls that kick and scream are able to win. Also like you stated in self-defense a win doesn't always mean a fight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Size isn't as big of a handicap as people present it. If you understand what you are doing then you can beat someone bigger, taller, stronger, heavier. Here's a few examples. Real fights of untrained people. One bigger the other smaller.

I train with a self-defense focus, so my training takes into consideration there will be a size, weight, height, age, and strength disadvantages for me. Granted that I way 200lbs now at 5'9. It doesn't mean that someone who weighs 160 at 5'9 can't beat me. In self-defense you have to have strategies for these type of scenarios.

When you compete you are matched up with similar ability.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
here is what people think of when they say that size matters

If the small guy tries to wrestle the big guy the same way as he does little guys, then yes it matters. But this thinking is flawed in sport and fighting because why would try to take the same solution to wrestling a small guy and try to apply it to someone bigger? One can clearly see that a new plan or approach is needed, so it only makes sense that the smaller person's strategy and approach has to be different.
Royce Gracie proves my point. Notice that his approach for the big isn't the same as his approach for someone his size

I think size 100% matters that's why there's weight classes in sport. Even jiu jitsu where they say size is no factor...well okay fine but then why do jiu jitsu tournaments have weight divisions. If Royce Gracie was fighting a 300 pound jiu jitsu black belt he'd lose most likely

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It isn't the end all be all, but it is an advantage, this is why weight classes exist.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even jiu jitsu where they say size is no factor...well okay fine but then why do jiu jitsu tournaments have weight divisions.
To be honest I don't know why they have weight classes. UFC didn't have one when it first started.

BJJ has open weight competitions

Sumo wrestling (not sure if they are considered the same weight class)

Karate has open weight

Latest Discussions