Realistic Training !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All right. How about this - you might want to try out a number of other instructors, just for the sake of experience.

No thanks.
The last bujinkan instructor I trained under was not effective (IMO). My training with this instructor has been PROVEN* to be effective. If had enough martial arts training "for the sake of experience" to last me a life time. What I do now is for fitness and enjoyment and I respect my sensei enough that I now consider him a very good friend.

But I appreciate the suggestion

(*As tested against practitioners of other styles and BJK students of other schools)

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I got a bad karma for the comment I made about making fun of others. I wasn't fun of others, I was stating a fact this is a sad pissing match.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus when you state 12 in 9 years of study. Does this mean there are that many Sensei in the one dojo, you have moved that much or you have left that many dojo. That may not be considered spoiled. I am just trying to wrap my head around it. I've been at it for about 14. I have had 2 Sensei in the Bujinkan and 1 indie. Yes I went that way for a while.
However I have had many influences in the Bujinkan and extended seminar time with some Shihan. I took Ed Martin out for breakie once and we sat up late chatting do I consider him a teacher?

So I was wondering here is definition.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have trained for quite a while in the Bujinkan and while I am not a Budo Taijutsu only type of practitioner I can certainly see the benefits of training exactly the way Soke is teaching in Japan.

Do you really mean that? I find that the way Soke teaches to be a HORRIBLE way to learn the art.

-DW

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you aware that this section is about discussions about an art as it is practiced in Japan

No. No - it's not.

This section is about discussion of a Japanese Art that is practiced ALL AROUND THE WORLD.

If you want a forum for just you guys in Japan -- get another one.

-DW

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you really mean that? I find that the way Soke teaches to be a HORRIBLE way to learn the art.

-DW

Yet Daniel, I have met more than a few Budo Taijutsu practitioners specifically taught by Hatsumi Soke (with his methods) who have simply awesome skills.

So yes I meant exactly what I said.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nimravus when you state 12 in 9 years of study. Does this mean there are that many Sensei in the one dojo, you have moved that much or you have left that many dojo.

The only dojo I've left was my first, and that was because it closed down. There were two instructors there I trained with at the time, only one of them is still training (though not at my dojo). My second, current main dojo initially had three instructors who held the training at different days of the week. Whilst training there I've also guest-trained at two other dojos, in one of them throughout the summer and autumn of 2003 and the summer of 2005, as well as attending seminars over the course of those two years. I like the people in that dojo and consider their head instructor to be a large influence on my understanding of taijutsu (and several other things related to my job and similar stuff).

Then there's that other dojo which I visited several times during the late autumn of 2003, throughout the summer of 2004, autumn of 2005 and the early part of 2006. Two of the instructors there I've also trained with enough for me to consider them influential.

In the autumn of 2003 our dojo was taken over by several yudansha because our previous Shidoshi chose to lay off taijutsu in favour of other endeavors, six people all in all (not counting one who left the country). Four of these, including one Judan, have held regular training sessions at our place since then. Currently, we have three different instructors teaching on tuesdays and two on thursdays (if you count the beginners's instructor) and another on sundays, with one acting as a backup in case someone gets sick.

Does that answer your question?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No thanks.
The last bujinkan instructor I trained under was not effective (IMO). My training with this instructor has been PROVEN* to be effective. If had enough martial arts training "for the sake of experience" to last me a life time. What I do now is for fitness and enjoyment and I respect my sensei enough that I now consider him a very good friend.

But I appreciate the suggestion

And you don't consider this to be at least a little biased?

You'd be amazed at the stuff you may pick up "away from home"...

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yet Daniel, I have met more than a few Budo Taijutsu practitioners specifically taught by Hatsumi Soke (with his methods) who have simply awesome skills.

So yes I meant exactly what I said.

Ok. Was just curious.

I still stand by my observation as well.

;-)

-DW

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And you don't consider this to be at least a little biased?

Biased against what?

You'd be amazed at the stuff you may pick up "away from home"...

I'm amazed at the stuff I'm picking up "at home" and am yet to feel a need to seek another taijutsu instructor to fill any gaps. If I felt the training to be lacking, I'd move, sure. (I have already done this once) But that is yet to be the case with my current dojo.

"Away from home" I get amazed by learning things I don't learn in taijutsu - like triangles, flying armbars (trying anyway), omoplatas, sprawling, jamming, shoots, breaking guard etc... things that I don't see every day at normal training that helps me see my taijutsu from different angles.

Cheers

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Was just curious.

I still stand by my observation as well.

;-)

-DW

Dan you probably just need to get hooked up with some people that I know. You seem very level headed and I am confident that when you meet the right people your perception may shift slightly.
icon10.gif

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Biased against what?

Well, you don't know what's out there until you've looked, right?

"Away from home" I get amazed by learning things I don't learn in taijutsu - like triangles, flying armbars (trying anyway), omoplatas, sprawling, jamming, shoots, breaking guard etc... things that I don't see every day at normal training that helps me see my taijutsu from different angles.

*cough cough*

Like I said, you don't know what's out there (yes, *WITHIN THE BUJINKAN*) until you've looked.

If I felt the training to be lacking, I'd move, sure. (I have already done this once) But that is yet to be the case with my current dojo.

I didn't realize my training was lacking in certain aspects until I looked to others.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus,

What exactly are you trying to get out?
That rubber tanto has the opinions he has, only because he has not directly experienced the totality of the BJK ?

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dan you probably just need to get hooked up with some people that I know. You seem very level headed and I am confident that when you meet the right people your perception may shift slightly.
icon10.gif

PM me with the people... I will see if I know them already.

-DW

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is a possibility.

LOL...that sounds like a comment made by someone who has stepped very little outside the realms of his own style.

But I ask you this. Why do you suggest that?
So far I have not seen you post one argument that makes any sense. People have come on here talking about ways to train realistically.

You seem to have a problem with that. Fair enough. But this is a thread about realistic training and thats what I am talking about here. MY dojo trys to train realistically. We have pressure testing. We have randori. We are not afraid to roll with people outside of our system to put our training to the test. I have and I have found that my training is not lacking.

So to counter all this you a) call fellow practitioners "children" by what you "ASSUME" to know of them, their training and their abilities. b) You suggest that I should try other BJK instructors (but if you say that randori and pressure testing is not the norm...and it is what I enjoy...so then why would I do that?

Is that the best debate you can put forward?

Okay then. Working with that...My opinion that randori and pressure testing is beneficial will change when I go to another sensei who just trains kata because....

Innuendo and implied knowledge is worthless. Give me some facts.

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus,

What exactly are you trying to get out?
That rubber tanto has the opinions he has, only because he has not directly experienced the totality of the BJK ?

So in Nimravus's professional opinion as a member of the BJK...is he saying that one BJK sensei is not sufficiently adequate to instruct one martial artist in the ability to defend himself? But in fact one needs 12 BJK godans to show you something before you can know if what you are learning is at a level of quality that can be taken seriously?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread...I'm just following the path Nim's been taking this thread on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions