Quitting smoking=weight gain. WHY?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
It takes the average smoker 5 attempts before they successfully quit. So don't give up just because you tried before.

BTW, Zyban/Wellbutrin doubles the chances of quitting.

I forgot about Zyban. That really helps alot of people too. Ask your doc about it. (Except you cannot drink while taking it. HIGH risk of seizures). But you only take it short term. It eliminates the craving for a cigarette.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I forgot about Zyban. That really helps alot of people too. Ask your doc about it. (Except you cannot drink while taking it. HIGH risk of seizures). But you only take it short term. It eliminates the craving for a cigarette.

Not so much eliminates the craving as it does reduce the anxiety associated with quitting. Wellbutrin/Zyban is an anti-depressant agent whose exact mechanism is unknown (I love that phrase. It's everywhere in pharmacology). It needs to build to a therapeutic level in the bloodstream. Typically, it's taken for several days before it is effective in reducing the withdrawl symptoms; so, wait to stop smoking until that time.

For me, with the chemistry of an ADHD brain, it nearly drove me mad taking it. It actually caused me more anxiety. Speak extensively with your doctor first.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quit for 2 years and put on 60 lbs..My doctor said that the cigatettes were supporting my metabolism and when I took them away it was forced to function unsupported..i had struggled with a slight weight problem in my teens and was too well disciplined to stuff my face insted of lighting up so that crap about over eating doesn't apply to me..

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don’t have anything against Ferd LOL. I had an F350 4x4 powerstroke and loved it, I just didn’t love the payments.

I used Wellbutrin/Zyban a few years ago but I think I used it wrong. It was given to me by a friend and I had no directions so I just started taking the pills and not smoking. It didn’t work but that is most likely due to the fact I did not let it build up in my system. I used the patch once and well that was not good I smoked a few with the patch on and it made my arm very red at the sight of the patch. Also my heart rate went crazy. My mom is bugging me about getting hypnotized she said my ant quit cold turkey after she was hypnotized and she smoked for 30 years

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Not so much eliminates the craving as it does reduce the anxiety associated with quitting. Wellbutrin/Zyban is an anti-depressant agent whose exact mechanism is unknown (I love that phrase. It's everywhere in pharmacology). It needs to build to a therapeutic level in the bloodstream. Typically, it's taken for several days before it is effective in reducing the withdrawl symptoms; so, wait to stop smoking until that time.

For me, with the chemistry of an ADHD brain, it nearly drove me mad taking it. It actually caused me more anxiety. Speak extensively with your doctor first.

Yeah, I've taken it too. Hated it. But alot of smokers who started taking Wellbutrin for depression (without any desire to quite smoking) also stopped smoking. They said they just didn't want a cigarette while they were taking it.

Here is some information on Zyban:

Zyban is a drug marketed by Glaxo-Wellcome and has been used, very successfully, to treat nicotine addiction directly. In this case it is different to the way other anti-smoking agents work, such as nicotine gum and patches, since these simply supply an alternative source of nicotine other than cigarettes. Zyban works at the neurological level, reducing the craving for nicotine in any form. It is potentially extremely important, as this discovery could open the door to finding similar molecules for treating much more serious addiction problems, such as cocaine and heroin, etc.

And information on the treatment process:

The recommended and maximum dose of Zyban is 300 mg/day given as 150 mg tablets, twice daily. Treatment is usually initiated while the patient is still smoking and the target date for smoking cessation is normally within the first two weeks of Zyban treatment. Zyban therapy then continues for 7 to 12 weeks, depending on the effect of the therapy. If the patient has not reduced smoking by the seventh week of Zyban therapy, it is unlikely that he/she will quit during that attempt and Zyban therapy is normally discontinued.

Hope it helps.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hemi:

All other advice aside, when I quit, I was ready to quit. That is the single most important aspect: the appropriate level of desire. After that, it was simply a matter of your sig line.

The second most important aspect is, of course, to never pick up another smoke once you're stopped. Quitting again, after an extended period of not smoking, is considerably MORE difficult.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
After watching my father die 45 from esophageal(sp) cancer, which was brought on by smoking, I'll take the weight gain. Fat can be lost.

That must have been very difficult.

The weight gain is indeed a problem, but one battle at a time maybe...

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
That must have been very difficult.

The weight gain is indeed a problem, but one battle at a time maybe...

That's the catch. For me, unlike some others, it's not an option. It's got to be more than picking where I want my scalpel, front or back.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's tough. What you really need is a few months off so you can significantly up the exercise while you quit, and get to a stable spot. In Europe you could could probably get that--in the Scandinavian countries they're very good about it, I believe. But here...I dunno.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
That's tough. What you really need is a few months off so you can significantly up the exercise while you quit, and get to a stable spot. In Europe you could could probably get that--in the Scandinavian countries they're very good about it, I believe. But here...I dunno.

Not a chance, but I've already informed my wife that if I'm to have any chance at all, I'll be at the dojang nightly. At least for a while.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started smoking when i was 18. everyone in my family smoked except for my mother.
I quit when i was 25, cold turkey, for 4 years, i had never felt better. i had a stressful period (divorce) and started smoking again......big mistake.
so im gearing up to quit again.....im trying to find that place i was in when i did it the first time.......it's not easy.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure it's never easy, but don't you find some comfort in the fact that you've already done it? Having accomplished what so many have said to be so difficult must be a huge confidence booster, no?

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can find out just about anything you want to know about quitting smoking at http://whyquit.com/

I've been quit ten months and it's only cause I spent over a year reading at this site.

Wow, I typed this in Dec of 05' and I'd been quit for ten months. I felt great! I was getting up and running two sometimes three days a week. I was sparring six rounds one night a week. I was proud and happy.

It's April of '07 and I can hardly remember what it felt like to be clear headed ten months. I'm back to smoking two packs some days. I'm back to feeling like I'm not in control of myself and it sucks. I've only had one today at noon after lunch. My plan is to get through the rest of this day and get home and then it'll be easy to get through the night, plenty other things to do there.

Wish me luck. I know exactly what I'm in for I just hope I'm smart enough this time to not forget and have to go through it again.

For those of you who have never felt physically addicted to cigarettes and can puff or quit as you please, I'm jealous. I'd love to just have a cople smokes a day and feel like I really enjoyed them but the truth is I just can't. It starts like that, one after a few beers, one before bed. The next thing I know I'm back to where I'm at now. I'm back to two packs a day and not even tasting them, or anything else really. I'm back to blowing my nose every hour and waking up dragging myself out of bed feeling horrible and immediately lighting one up. I'm back to being short of breath after taking a cople flight of stairs or wrestleing with my nephew for thirty seconds. It sucks! I hope I can one day truely wise up and just leave the darn things alone.:barf:

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only part that I haven't made a great excuse for yet is my kids. I want to watch them grow up. I think I'd like to stick around for that. As much as they drive me nuts, I kinda like 'em.

My God, if your kids aren't grown that's the best reason right there. Do you want them to be smokers? Chances are if you are, they will be. It seems like you're looking for excuses not to stop when you know of so many reasons why you should.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My God, if your kids aren't grown that's the best reason right there. Do you want them to be smokers? Chances are if you are, they will be. It seems like you're looking for excuses not to stop when you know of so many reasons why you should.

Yep. You're 100% correct. That's why after 36 continuous years, I went cold turkey and am now on day 48. Excuses are over. It's a wild ride too, let me tell ya...:)

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You're not cutting in. There are alot of people in the same boat as you and Gemini. Hopefully threads like these can be an encouragement to ANYONE contemplating giving up the habit. I think the thoughts and feelings you and Gemini have at this point are common among smokers in the first stages of quitting. There will probably never be a "perfect" time to quit as far as life circumstances are concerned. The perfect time will be when you make up your mind to become adamant about it. Good luck! :asian:

Well it took me a long while to actually make myself quit. But I can honestly say I am a non smoker. I have put them down and it’s been 6 days, not that long but a huge mile stone for me. I couldn’t go 2 hours with out needing a fix, not I am totally away from the habit. It’s funny how fast things change after I quit, I can now taste things I never noticed when I smoked. I can tell who smokes and who don’t in a crowd now. I just feel a lot better, and I am still looking in to wellness supplements so any info there would be helpful

Latest Discussions