Quitting smoking=weight gain. WHY?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did a search, but didn't come up with much.

I'd heard it's because of the "hand to mouth" habit, but have known people that quit and dieted at the same time, only to still gain weight. So I then assumed (because cigs are a stimulant) that it had to do with ones matabolism slowing down. Not sure if that's true or not.

Anyone know?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would imagine it's a matter of having something to do with one's hands. It's probably more nibbling than eating more.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, the oral fixation was a lot of the response. however, the feeling of my tummy having something in it was comforting in the face of something so nerve-jangling as quitting smoking.

Nicotine as a stimulant? I dunno about that affect. Smoking seems to have some stimulant-esque effects, though; it constricts the blood vessels, increasing BP and HR. Smoke actually robs the body of O2; so, stopping increased my serum O2 and I felt more energized. It constricts the blood vessels, increasing BP and HR. Smoking may seem to slow down metabolism because of the reduced O2 available.

Whatever the metabolic or habitual reason, I stuffed myself with homemade breads, butter and honey and bloated up 30 lbs.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct about all factors. It is a combination of hand to mouth habit and the metabolism slowing down, and don't forget when you quit smoking food starts to taste better so you're more likely to overeat.

When I quit smoking 16 years ago, I simultaneously began cardiovascular excercising daily. I didn't do much, worked only 30 minutes a day but my stamina quickly improved. It helped me have an overall health conscious attitude and I didn't gain any weight at all by quitting. I attitribute that to beginning an excercise program at the same time as quitting.

I am sure I would have gained weight otherwise. I don't believe the slow down of metabolism alone counts for substantial weight gain, but when you combine the minor slow down with increased eating you see more substantial weight gain. I have been excercising 3-6 days a week since I started that habit all those years ago. I have been able to maintain my weight through smoking cessation and having 2 children.

Even if you quit and diet at the same time you will probably gain a little due to the metabolism change, but that factor alone shouldn't cause excessive weight gain. I find even in non-smokers who diet, daily caloric intake is often underestimated and we are consuming many more calories than we think.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I know it's time to get at it, but I REFUSE to gain weight. If it comes down to one or the other, I know which direction I'll take, so I don't want to go there. I figure knowing all the angles up front gives me my best shot. I do everything else the same way, why not this.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gaining weight when I quit was actually welcomed in my case so I'm not very informed on the issue but I know there are a lot of articles there on the subject and the feeling I got was the weight gain could be avoided. You've got to understand that it will take some time for your body to adjust to a life without nicotine. I couldn't believe how much my Cola intake dropped when I quit but this site taught me that a nicotine addicts body consumes caffine at twice the rate as a normal person so it made since that my Cola drinking was much less after quitting. Good luck! Please do read there, read about the Freedom club and try and join if you like. I could of never quit without thier help and support and I still go there every few days to offer my support to the newbies.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority in that I want/need to quit but I don’t mind if I put on 15-20 lbs as long as it’s not 15lbs of mush. I started smoking about 16 years ago and I was forced to quit once for six weeks. (Boot camp) I guess it really was not quitting more of a six week break. As soon as I got a town pass I smoked until I was sick about 3 cigarettes. Now I know if I don’t quit I am going to have serous medical problems too many things run in my family. And the thought of a surgeon taking a skill saw to my chest scares the crap out of me.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
And the thought of a surgeon taking a skill saw to my chest scares the crap out of me.

Well, there's always that....

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thought of getting lung cancer scared the **** out of me. I smoked for 10 years and was up to 2 packs a day for the last few years before I quit. It was starting to make me feel pretty crappy and I kept picturing myself at the stage of life I'm in now, stuck in a hospital bed hooked up to an iron lung. I knew I had to quit.

I had tried quitting several times before coming to that "I will do it" attitude. I will tell you, trying to cut back didn't work for me.
It was cold turkey. I believe that is the most effective way to stop smoking. Nicotine is completely out of your system in 3 days. After that, all your cravings are psychological.

I threw out every single piece of smoking paraphenalia I had. All cigarettes were thrown out. All the ashtrays, matches, and lighters were thrown out. All the trash cans were emptied so there was not a single remnant of smoking in the house. I bought hard candy and gum and started exercising. I won't lie to you. It was hell. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and if I hadn't gotten rid of everything in the house I wouldn't have made it. I remember searching through the laundry room trash hoping to find a butt in there. No luck. And I refused to go out and buy more cigarettes.

Day by day it got better. Now here I am, 16 years later, studying martial arts and in great shape. I have a deep suspicion that if I hadn't quit when I did, my life today would be in a much sadder place.

There is a book that has come out since I quit that I have heard rave reviews from ex-smokers and wish it had been available when I quit. It's called "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Here is an overview:

Book Description
A new edition of the revolutionary bestseller, with four million copies in print. Allen Carr’s innovative Easyway method—which he discovered after his own 100-cigarette-a-day habit nearly drove him to despair—has helped millions kick smoking without feeling anxious and deprived. That’s because he helps smokers discover the psychological reasons behind their dependency, explains in detail how to handle the withdrawal symptoms, shows them how to avoid situations when temptation might become too strong, and enables them to stay smoke-free. Carr discusses such issues as nicotine addiction; the social “brainwashing” that encourages smoking; the false belief that a cigarette relieves stress; the role boredom plays in sabotaging efforts to stop; and the main reasons for failure. With this proven program, smokers will be throwing away their packs for good.

Find it here.

I used to LOVE smoking. I only quit because I was becoming scared for my health. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Good Luck. It's worth it and you can do it.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was one of those casual smokers in my younger years. Went out partying, had a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Nursing school came along. Many pictures of cancerous lungs, jars filled with them too. Saw patients die of it, including my own Grandmother. I quit 19 years ago. Haven't looked back. I am lucky in that I seem somewhat allergic to smoke now and the smell really turns me off.

Good Luck Gemini in your quest. The fact that you are aware of the weight gain problem and are doing some research to combat the issue that will arise gives you a head start in not allowing that to happen.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes prepping myself so difficult is the fact that I'm already in such good shape. I don't run out of gas, I don't show any signs of illness and I'm not afraid of what it will eventually do to me. Well, okay, I don't spend alot of time focusing on it either. In other words, I've probably got the best case of denial I've ever seen.
The only part that I haven't made a great excuse for yet is my kids. I want to watch them grow up. I think I'd like to stick around for that. As much as they drive me nuts, I kinda like 'em.
The reason for the thread and weight gain is because of my back. My doc has already told me that my spine can't handle the extra weight. #4 & 5 are already pretty much trashed and all that's left to help them is the knife. I can do all those fancy flying kicks TKD is known for but I can't gain weight. Go figure.

So, *sigh*. It's time to call the ball....

Thanks all for the input. I'll probably run this thread while I try. If I succeed, maybe it will become of some value to the next smoker.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The #1 secret to success in smoking cessation is you have to really want to do it. If your heart is not in it 100%, your chances of quitting are slim.

But it's ok to work up to it. The acknowledgement that you should quit is a step in the right direction even if you haven't totally committed to doing it. Just keep talking about it, or thinking about it, or even giving it a half-hearted try.

Maybe see if you can cutback first. The point is even if it doesn't happen right away, you will be on the path to reaching a point of commitment to quitting. No doubt, it's hard, and denial is a strong thing. It make take several attempts before you take the plunge. We're here for you though. :asian:

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don’t me to cut it but this is something I am going through as well. I am in good shape and face the same situation in not seeing a real benefit in the short term. Well other than the financial aspect of quitting. But the long term affects do scare me and on top of all the very important reasons like my kids, wife, and the fact that I will live longer by quitting I know at some point smoking will affect me as a martial artist.

My major problem in quitting seems to be I always find a good (well sounds good anyway) excuse to wait. I’m going to hold off till after my belt test or things are stressful at work right now. I’ll quit right after the holidays, or next time I get strep throat that’s it I’ll quit. Then I find myself six months down the road and still smoking. I guess I just need to put them down then, suck it up and press on

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another really really really important thing to remember is don't quit quiting. If you fail try again and again and again. My mom is a heavy smoker, on and off. She quits does really well and then falls back into it. I keep encouraging her by telling her that those 6 months or 3 months she quit did her body a lot of good and that it is important that she keep trying.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I don’t me to cut it but this is something I am going through as well. I am in good shape and face the same situation in not seeing a real benefit in the short term. Well other than the financial aspect of quitting. But the long term affects do scare me and on top of all the very important reasons like my kids, wife, and the fact that I will live longer by quitting I know at some point smoking will affect me as a martial artist.

My major problem in quitting seems to be I always find a good (well sounds good anyway) excuse to wait. I’m going to hold off till after my belt test or things are stressful at work right now. I’ll quit right after the holidays, or next time I get strep throat that’s it I’ll quit. Then I find myself six months down the road and still smoking. I guess I just need to put them down then, suck it up and press on

You're not cutting in. There are alot of people in the same boat as you and Gemini. Hopefully threads like these can be an encouragement to ANYONE contemplating giving up the habit. I think the thoughts and feelings you and Gemini have at this point are common among smokers in the first stages of quitting. There will probably never be a "perfect" time to quit as far as life circumstances are concerned. The perfect time will be when you make up your mind to become adamant about it. Good luck! :asian:

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely 2004hemi, the thread isn't only for just me. We should celebrate. This is probably the first time a Ford guy and a Mopar guy have shared anything. :) So cut away.

SLT & Lisa, My Mother-in-law said the same thing. If you try and fail, you can't beat yourself up over it. Don't look at it as failing, just sliding back a little. Then get back into it. Just keep at it.

My first discovery. (yes, I have cut back considerably already) My car stinks!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
My first discovery. (yes, I have cut back considerably already) My car stinks!

LOL! I know what you mean. I find myself very sensitive to the smell.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It takes the average smoker 5 attempts before they successfully quit. So don't give up just because you tried before.

BTW, Zyban/Wellbutrin doubles the chances of quitting.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
What makes prepping myself so difficult is the fact that I'm already in such good shape. I don't run out of gas, I don't show any signs of illness and I'm not afraid of what it will eventually do to me. Well, okay, I don't spend alot of time focusing on it either. In other words, I've probably got the best case of denial I've ever seen.
The only part that I haven't made a great excuse for yet is my kids. I want to watch them grow up. I think I'd like to stick around for that. As much as they drive me nuts, I kinda like 'em.
The reason for the thread and weight gain is because of my back. My doc has already told me that my spine can't handle the extra weight. #4 & 5 are already pretty much trashed and all that's left to help them is the knife. I can do all those fancy flying kicks TKD is known for but I can't gain weight. Go figure.

So, *sigh*. It's time to call the ball....

Thanks all for the input. I'll probably run this thread while I try. If I succeed, maybe it will become of some value to the next smoker.

I was in the same boat about 6 years ago. When I smoked I was in good shape, had good endurance, and over pretty good health. Then I quit cold turkey and gained seventy pounds. I had withdrawl symptoms like headaches, chest pains, jitters, etc..., but it was worth it. After watching my father die 45 from esophageal(sp) cancer, which was brought on by smoking, I'll take the weight gain. Fat can be lost.

HKF

Latest Discussions