Questions for those who started their own system/ style

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by chrissyp, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Oh be quiet, you do realise no ones taking your nonsense seriously right now?

2. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

To clarify, i was not asking the differences between the purpose of shaolin kempo and shotokan karate. I wanted to know what YOUR (as an individual) objective is to learning martial arts, and i will share my own (as an individual) objective so we can compare. Identifying what my arts objective is only tells you what the founder of the art cared about, and honestly i cant stand the founder of SKK (@Buka want to go on a villari rant?)

Ive no clue what flinching comment youre referring to. I probably havent read that thread and your getting my comment confused with someone else...or just lumping all the forum posters together.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ShotoNoob

ShotoNoob Master Black Belt

Of course not, 'cause you're right you said so.:asshat:

4. ShotoNoob

Well, for one, I suspect the "realness" of some of the posters here. When I recount examples clearly specified by, most definately contained in the traditional karate curriculum of the 20th Century let's say, and comments come back as incredulous, well....

This is why I typically get along with karate instructors. I'm open to what they have to say, but I always relate how I practice and what I believe back to the curriculum. And can provide a coherent explanation. I also got thrown out of a karate dojo by a woman black-belt instructor who didn't want to hear anything I had to say. OTOH, I'm usually more compatible with woman instructors than men. Most karate instructors in my area will listen and discuss. It's typically the more sport-competitor ones who believe they know it all, are so good in there own mind. And like the 2nd degree Isshin ryu black-belt, they can be very, very good fighters.

What I did was walk into TMA schools and learn what the curriculum was about. Followed the curriculum as taught by various instructors. Listened to what they said. Followed along and practiced what they taught. Got a hold of manuals and compared and studied them.

Like many people, I was interested in self defense. I was also interested in winning at kumite competition because then this was a test. So that's a start.

I have no interest in creating my own martial art. Zero. Within that, there are some areas of my own karate style which I diverge or depart from the strict curriculum. Instructors will tell you some dumb stuff along the way because we are all flawed. So I ignore what I have come to understand as dumb or wrong. But this is ok because I'm always using traditional karate or TMA principles.

I'm tying subject areas together. This was in response to kumite tournament trouble Simon was recounting, and a thread was just started. And having no idea is a standard reply here.

So, what's motivating your participation in martial arts?:watching:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  5. ShotoNoob

Bruce Lee was of course an inspiration to me. An inspiration, not an idol. He once quoted the traditional karates as a "classical mess." IMO this is true. Yet it is an incomplete truth; therefore false as a principle truth.

This BUKA you say have founded SKK, which I take it is some kenpo karate style. People founding their own arts, and like GPS, presume the TAM models, like Bruce advocated, were somehow broken or seriously impaired.

My presumption, based upon my personal training experience, is that I DO NOT know more than the masters, in principle. There is all kinds of trouble, etc. with karate styles, we can criticize like Bruce Lee. Yet that overlooks the bigger picture of why the masters proposed what they did and why this is common, why these commonalities are spread across all the traditional karate styles which sprang up all over asia, the TMA model.

6. kempodisciple

To clarify, fred villari is the one that founded skk (shaolin kempo karate). Buka just happens to share my immense dislike for the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kempodisciple

Regarding realness: you think theyre the same person in multiple accounts, or you think they dont practice anything?

To make sure i understand: your initial purpose for training was self defense and kumite/sparring? Is that still your goal or has it changed? From your posta ive gathered its more along the self-enlightenment route, although i could be wrong.

For me, my reason for training is that it is something I can focus on, and takes me out of whatever is happening in my life. Its something where i can see consistent improvement, and the dojo is a place of peace. I also learned a lot on how to handle anger and aggression through martial arts, qnd going back to class can help me with continue my own anger management. The fighting and stuff is very much secondary for me, at least currently.

Regarding the tournament, i think i read the first page or two, then stopped. So youre probably getting me confused with someone else.

8. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I'm sorry, bro, I'm slow on the uptake sometimes. I don't understand. Please be patient explaining.

9. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Yes. Yes, you have. And you've been wrong every time you've said it. But what do such details matter, when you can't fill in the bigger concepts of your own posts?

10. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    His description of the places he goes to - and his disparagement of his "current" school - remind me of another poster who complained about his school and talked about how good he was in spite of it.

11. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Stuff and nonsense. You use so many words, and actually say so very little. No real substance, in spite of all that effort. Effort, it seems, put into avoiding saying anything really important.

12. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    You seem quite keen on claiming to have done so quite a lot since then. Where did you lose your way?

13. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Hmm...two interesting points here.
    1. You appear to have been in and out of a lot of schools. Yet you take every opportunity to claim some sort of style purity when someone shares that they've gained experience in more than one styles (going so far as to castigate one person who had experience in ::gasp:: 3 styles). Hypocrisy, anyone?
    2. You really think studying a manual really lets you learn much about an art?
    It's pretty clear your "more than a decade" of experience isn't really that, at all. You've dabbled for more than a decade. You haven't really been listening to instructors, from what you've said. So you dabble. And, apparently, get in a lot of challenge fights, initiated by instructors. And win them all. Including one that apparently happened early on at your first TMA school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Nice attempt to sound wise, while actually saying absolutely nothing. Well done!

You should actually read what you're replying to.

Yet, you clearly presume to know more than everyone in this forum (regardless of their experience) and your stories show you believe yourself superior to every instructor you've ever had, as well. The only advantage those masters have, in principle, is you've not met them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    If you had taken the time to read the first paragraph, you would have understood it was focused on MMA. Even when you are spoon fed the answer, you get it wrong.

The definition of evolution - "the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form."
    I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Model? For certain. I am guessing your model is make with match sticks or tinker toys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Was that the kick boxer who said how bad kickboxing is and how boxing would destroy any kickboxer....that guy was funny

17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Jeezuz. The self-delusion on display in this thread is truly...Trumpian...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I was thinking of the TKD guy. But that one works for the example, too.

19. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

May hVe been taekwondo as well I dunno. I lose track of all the trolls we get here

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ShotoNoob

Why don't you care for Fred Villari?