RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi RRouuselot.

1)You have to admit, the movie was pretty good. Yes/no?:idunno:

Hi Flatlander,

It, being the continual carrying on about someone because he will not return phone calls. Sometimes it is the way it is. I have no personall knowledge in this.

Students are being made aware, maybe that is the best thing from this posting, and others will know more about the person, his lineage etc.

What I have read, makes me think the thread should have just disappeared, but it has not happened. At one point I thought it was over, but was revieved. :whip:

2)I figure I don't want to irritate Robert, he is like a Pitbull going for the throat.:uhyeah:

Regards, Gary

1) Actually I thought the movie was crap. One I don’t really care for MA movies as a whole (except Jackie Chan’s…the guy cracks me up), and two, Vandam is a moron AND a bad actor.
2) Is there any other spot to go for….. :ultracool

What is wrong with asking questions, getting clarification? Nothing.
If you truly want to understand where someone is coming from you may have to ask a question or two to get the whole picture. When that person ignores the question or gives you vague ½ answers that aren’t even really answers you have to wonder “why?”.
If you ask again for clarification and the same thing happens again it makes you less curious and more suspicious.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Ok, devils advocate here....

Why should Rick Tew sign up?
This is obviously a hostile enviroment.
He would say 1 thing, only to have sharks and pirahna circle and attack before he got the first post up.
He has 2 students here.

Why spend the effort here, where he can go where there are larger concentrations and where he isn't taken to task over everything he does?

Simply put - Why should he?

"To prove he isn't a fraud".

No amount of proof will satisfy some people.

Now, based on the questions asked, and the answers given, my personal opinion is that Rick Tews "Ninjitsu" is primarily modified hapkido (TKD flavored) with some other stuff grafted in. He has no legit traditional training in ninjutsu (as dux is deemed a fraud, and bussey is questionable at best.), and he is quite young to be a "founder".
He "poo-poos" tradition, teaches a korean-hybrid art, misuses japanese terms, and seems to be more about marketing than quality.

My opinion, based on the information available.

I agree that no one needs to sign up on an internet forum to defend themselves. Especially if one has a public persona. That being said, I have a very small public persona (very small) yet, I enjoy talking on forums. However, I only spend significant time on forums where I like the people. MT is my favorite and I think Bob has the best run forum out there, so I am happy to be here. I like Datu Kelly Wordens Modern Arnis Coalition forum (I mostly read and don't post) because it keeps me up to date with what is going on in the West Coast for Modern Arnis and FMA, and I like the people there as well. I like Sharp Phil's forum when I want info or opinions on firearms/shooting and gadgets. Those are the only forums I go to and post on enough to say that I go there. My point is, I am not on forums to defend myself, promote myself, or whatever; I am there because I enjoy being there. If someone wants to question my credability on another forum that I don't go to, I am not going to rush right over there and sign up to get into flame wars with people. My Website is very clear about my background, and my e-mail and ph# is available; people can get a hold of me if they need to ask me questions on my credability without difficulty.

So, I don't fault Tew for not chasing critics on talk forums.

What I fault him on is his cult-marketing tactics, and his lack of clarity on his background. If you are selling a product (and in this case the product is a martial art) then it is only fair to have information on that product readily available for your clients and prospective clients. In martial arts, part of that product information is the background of the instructor. I am not a strict traditionalist when it comes to lineage, but it is only fair to expect an instructor to be upfront and straight-forward when it comes to their background. Having an underling give vague answers, and attempting to get inquirerers to "join us" rather then give any real answers to legitimate questions is just bad business.

I would recommend against training with anyone who runs their business in this manner.

Paul

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Ok, devils advocate here....

Why should Rick Tew sign up?
This is obviously a hostile enviroment.
He would say 1 thing, only to have sharks and pirahna circle and attack before he got the first post up.
He has 2 students here.

Why spend the effort here, where he can go where there are larger concentrations and where he isn't taken to task over everything he does?

Simply put - Why should he?

"To prove he isn't a fraud".

No amount of proof will satisfy some people.

Now, based on the questions asked, and the answers given, my personal opinion is that Rick Tews "Ninjitsu" is primarily modified hapkido (TKD flavored) with some other stuff grafted in. He has no legit traditional training in ninjutsu (as dux is deemed a fraud, and bussey is questionable at best.), and he is quite young to be a "founder".
He "poo-poos" tradition, teaches a korean-hybrid art, misuses japanese terms, and seems to be more about marketing than quality.

My opinion, based on the information available.
you know its like beating a dead horse... there is a question... you give an answer... you get the same question fromt he same person... you give an answer... then the person with the same question whines on how they never got an answer.

i have never seen sensei mis use japanese terms. in fact rtms are all about quality then marketing. marketing would be i learned from so and so and so and so and now learn from me. like that makes them good. so i think you might be turned around on you desicions. anyway...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
you know its like beating a dead horse... there is a question... you give an answer... you get the same question fromt he same person... you give an answer... then the person with the same question whines on how they never got an answer.
I don't believe Robert Rousselot ever did get a thorough answer to his questions, actually. Your sensei is a public figure, like it or not, and should expect potential students (the ones who do their homework anyway) to ask questions, let alone the skeptics who find his claims a bit sketchy...

Jeff

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On his website he referes to himself as "Sensei", as do you. "Sensei" is a Japanese term, translates to "One who went before", and is used for almost all levels of 'teaching'. But he is not Japanese, and is not teaching a Japanese art to Japanese. Therefore the use of "Sensei" is not appropriate.

Refering to himself as "Master", "GrandMaster", etc. while seeming a bit "arrogant" might be more appropriate, given the generic nature of both the terms, and his approach.

An excellent (IMHO) article on that term is at: http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue6/sensei.html

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
On his website he referes to himself as "Sensei", as do you. "Sensei" is a Japanese term, translates to "One who went before", and is used for almost all levels of 'teaching'. But he is not Japanese, and is not teaching a Japanese art to Japanese. Therefore the use of "Sensei" is not appropriate.

Refering to himself as "Master", "GrandMaster", etc. while seeming a bit "arrogant" might be more appropriate, given the generic nature of both the terms, and his approach.

An excellent (IMHO) article on that term is at: http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue6/sensei.html
there are some terms that sensei uses that are japanese... "the one who went before" would cualify him as sensei then. like a mentioned before he doesn't like to be called sensei but will tolerate it. he also goes by the term "founder, master instructor". i think sensei is a generic term anyway. if he couldn't use the word "sensei" then you can't use the word taco because its a spanish word.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I don't believe Robert Rousselot ever did get a thorough answer to his questions, actually. Your sensei is a public figure, like it or not, and should expect potential students (the ones who do their homework anyway) to ask questions, let alone the skeptics who find his claims a bit sketchy...

Jeff
well i would consider this an answer...
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306219&postcount=4

maybe not everything he wanted but then again...

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
there are some terms that sensei uses that are japanese... "the one who went before" would cualify him as sensei then.

Whether he is "qualified" for the term, or if the term would be applied to him in another school, does not mean that he should use it, especially if his background, training, and current teaching methodology eschew the use of non-English, style/culture-specific terms.

If he is going to teach in English, using English terms for techniques, then "sensei" doesn't really fit in the overall logic of his approach, does it?

like a mentioned before he doesn't like to be called sensei but will tolerate it.

That's awfully nice of him... :rolleyes:

he also goes by the term "founder, master instructor".

So, what, you walk into the school and say "Good afternoon Founder Master Instructor Tews?" Quite the mouthful, that... Why can't he just use "Mister?" Why use a title of any kind, for that matter?

i think sensei is a generic term anyway. if he couldn't use the word "sensei" then you can't use the word taco because its a spanish word.

And here your thinking errs terribly... When I say "taco" you and anyone else familiar with the term will conjure in their mind's eye an image of a kind of food consisting of, but not limited to, a hard or soft tortilla outer shell with meat, cheese, lettuce and other ingredients contained inside. When I say "sensei," the concept brought to mind with anyone familiar with the term is that of a martial arts teacher from a Japanese martial art. Not from a Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian, Russian, Korean or Greek martial art, mind you, but from a Japanese martial art.

This is a symptom of an ongoing erroneous method of thinking that is very peculiar to American martial arts... The use of foreign language terms with no recognition nor acknowledgement of the term's actual meaning and appropriate use. American martial artists, most often from "homegrown" and/or questionable origins, feel that they can use whatever terms they like in order to associate their actions with something reputable and recognizable (thereby increasing their student enrollment).

You can't just pick and choose what terms you use and don't use, nor can you pick and choose what they mean for you. They come from living, active languages, spoken by real people in the modern age, and therefore if you are going to use them you should use them correctly or not at all. All it does is make you look like an idiot for their misuse, and encourage the same ignorance to be perpetuated by your students. This is a disservice to the entire body of martial arts. It is selfish and arrogant for one teacher, student, or style to propagate misinformation solely to define thier autonomy.

Oh yeah, it makes you look like a fake to people who know better, and that does little to further your goals. It degrades your legitimacy in the eyes of your peers and the martial arts community at large, and in the long run will assist in the decline of your art, ensuring its ultimate demise (regardless of its usefulness).

Just a thought.

:asian:

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Whether he is "qualified" for the term, or if the term would be applied to him in another school, does not mean that he should use it, especially if his background, training, and current teaching methodology eschew the use of non-English, style/culture-specific terms.
as you might have noticed we are a non japanese style that is derived from a japanese concept. might help you for the future.

If he is going to teach in English, using English terms for techniques, then "sensei" doesn't really fit in the overall logic of his approach, does it?
i'll make sure he knows you think so:rolleyes:

That's awfully nice of him... :rolleyes:
thanks?

So, what, you walk into the school and say "Good afternoon Founder Master Instructor Tews?" Quite the mouthful, that... Why can't he just use "Mister?" Why use a title of any kind, for that matter?
no not really... but although hayes's students use the word an-shu which pretty much means founder. the word "founder" doesn't sound as cool though does it?:rolleyes:

And here your thinking errs terribly...
awe man!
When I say "taco" you and anyone else familiar with the term will conjure in their mind's eye an image of a kind of food consisting of, but not limited to, a hard or soft tortilla outer shell with meat, cheese, lettuce and other ingredients contained inside
not necessarily... that is a version of a taco... it also depends on where you are from.
When I say "sensei," the concept brought to mind with anyone familiar with the term is that of a martial arts teacher from a Japanese martial art. Not from a Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian, Russian, Korean or Greek martial art, mind you, but from a Japanese martial art.
okay.

You can't just pick and choose what terms you use and don't use, nor can you pick and choose what they mean for you. They come from living, active languages, spoken by real people in the modern age, and therefore if you are going to use them you should use them correctly or not at all. All it does is make you look like an idiot for their misuse, and encourage the same ignorance to be perpetuated by your students.
well even though you are against it... people can do whatever they want. and again its all on how your art is based. you might not like it but...

Oh yeah, it makes you look like a fake to people who know better, and that does little to further your goals. It degrades your legitimacy in the eyes of your peers and the martial arts community at large, and in the long run will assist in the decline of your art, ensuring its ultimate demise (regardless of its usefulness).
not really... why would someone have to rename everything they do? because you say so? i don't think so. "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" should SENSEI TEW have to rename the katana blade too?:rolleyes:

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
1) you know its like beating a dead horse... there is a question... you give an answer... you get the same question fromt he same person... you give an answer... then the person with the same question whines on how they never got an answer.

i have never seen sensei mis use japanese terms. in fact rtms are all about quality then marketing. marketing would be i learned from so and so and so and so and now learn from me. like that makes them good. so i think you might be turned around on you desicions. anyway...

1) Really? For a guy that supposedly “serves God” you sure are deceptive and bend the truth to fit your own agenda. See URL:
http://www.selmacommunitychurch.org/pastoralstaff.htm

I still haven’t gotten any clear answer to the following original questions I asked.

1- How old is he? =I think the answer was 30s or 40s…..hmmm about 10 years to play with. Next time I’m asked my age I’ll use you type of answering method. “Well I’m older than a carrot and younger than a rock”

2- What arts did he study?= Well for this one we found out that he studied 1 possibly fake art for sure, but it was said that he studied several arts…..which several? Out of the literally 1,000s of MA in the world could you pin it down for us?

2A - How long did he study each art?= Never even came close to answer on that one.
2B - What ranks did he reach in those arts?= got a seriously vague answer on this one. I was has the highest rank under Bussey….you never said exactly what rank and in which arts.
2C - Who did he study under or with?= You said several arts but only mentioned one name. Again….vauge.

3- How old was he when he founded his RTMS?= Didn’t even come close to answer n this one

4- What is the difference between Rick Tew's Martial Science and Tew Ryu Ninjitsu?= I did get an answer on this! …..I was told they were “the same”.
So if they are the same why then do they have different names?
And if you claim you don’t want or have no connection to Japan then why call it Ninjutsu? Doesn’t make any sense.
I think I will call my new great art the “Puerto Rico Dogsled Style”……I have never trained in Puerto Rico, can’t speak the language, never even seen a dogsled, but hey screw it I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!

Actually I have one more question……often do you actually train “hands on” with Tew? ...or do you train with him via video tape?

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
1)there are some terms that sensei uses that are japanese... "the one who went before" would cualify him as sensei then. 2) like a mentioned before he doesn't like to be called sensei but will tolerate it. he also goes by the term "founder, master instructor". 3) i think sensei is a generic term anyway. 4) if he couldn't use the word "sensei" then you can't use the word taco because its a spanish word.

1) What do he "go before".....
2) If he doesn't like it why doesn't he ask you to call him something else.....God forbid we use something boring like the English word ....... "teacher"
But I guess that wouldn't be "exotic" enough
3) Generic for those that do a Japanese art it is…..which disqualifies Tew.
4) I wouldn’t use the word taco if I were referring to a hamburger or vise versa. Would you call a taco a “Mexican Hamburger”….I doubt it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enson said:

Actually, I'll agree again with Robert...the answers provided are vauge at best.

Mike

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
this is what i wrote:

1. ?? in his late 30's early 40's

2. sensei studied a few arts. the most well known arts he studied were as follows:
growing up he studied "the controvesial" dux ryu. he as the youngest black belt and was the fastest to get promoted in the dux ryu's history. becoming disillusioned with dux's illusions(hee hee! that one made me laugh:D) he went on to look for another more effective art. he moved to europe and began to train under dr. roy martina tja kai martial science system. after recieving his ranking there... he went on to go earn his dan's in hapkido. After his stay in europe sensei came back to the states and moved to texas where he became a student of robert bussey's. he became an insturctor under rbwi and then went off to create RTMS.
RTMS has not been around as long as other arts but continues to grow and add to itself to abstain from becoming stagnant (sp?).

3. that i'm not sure of but refer to question 4 for more details why.

4. there is no difference in rtms and tew ryu ninjutsu. tew ryu was a name he gave at the beginning when he first started to develop his art. as the style evolved he got tired of the confusion of many (the whole traditional and modern arguement of the ages) and decided to change the style name to rtms. tew ryu is now what we call the students. we are the ryu... school. a network of students from around the globe. that is why we don't associate ourselves with iga or koga... we are tew ryu.

hope this answers questions for the future.
peace
just in case you forgot.

now about "serves God"... is that what we've come to now... and they say you only want to find the truth... right.:rolleyes: i'm bending the truth now? maybe "you can't handle the truth" (jack nickolson ((sP?)) "a few good men"):rofl: just be nice. i'm not trying to argue with you... just trying to show you a whole different world.
check out the website though. its good. we even have video clips. thats just the webmaster in me promotin it though. hee hee!!

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
well i would consider this an answer...
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306219&postcount=4

maybe not everything he wanted but then again...

Ok, let's consider it........

Enson said:
since you don't want to search, and this might be good for newbies i thought i would answer your questions.
1) sensei doesn't really talk about his x-instructors much because he doesn't want to use them as his credentials. he wants be be judged for how he does things not how many certificates he can get on the wall. that is why it is hard to find this information on the web. he doesn't like to use that to market himself.
2) 1. ?? in his late 30's early 40's

3) 2. sensei studied a few arts. the most well known arts he studied were as follows:
growing up he studied "the controvesial" dux ryu. he as the youngest black belt and was the fastest to get promoted in the dux ryu's history. becoming disillusioned with dux's illusions(hee hee! that one made me laugh ) he went on to look for another more effective art. he moved to europe and began to train under dr. roy martina tja kai martial science system. after recieving his ranking there... he went on to go earn his dan's in hapkido. After his stay in europe sensei came back to the states and moved to texas where he became a student of robert bussey's. he became an insturctor under rbwi and then went off to create RTMS.
RTMS has not been around as long as other arts but continues to grow and add to itself to abstain from becoming stagnant (sp?).

4) 3. that i'm not sure of but refer to question 4 for more details why.

5) 4. there is no difference in rtms and tew ryu ninjutsu. tew ryu was a name he gave at the beginning when he first started to develop his art. as the style evolved he got tired of the confusion of many (the whole traditional and modern arguement of the ages) and decided to change the style name to rtms. tew ryu is now what we call the students. 6) we are the ryu... school. a network of students from around the globe. that is why we don't associate ourselves with iga or koga... we are tew ryu.

1) So what does he use as credentials to qualify him calling his style “Ninjutsu”?
2) Could you be anymore vague?
3) Ok, there is one fake style he studied…..and what the hell is tja kai?
4) I guess nobody is allowed to ask?????
5) If they aren’t different then why the need to use 2 names. Why not just make a clean break.
6) Again, an appalling misuse of Japanese. Students are not a ryuha….

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
this is what i wrote:

just in case you forgot.

now about "serves God"... is that what we've come to now... 1) and they say you only want to find the truth... right.:rolleyes: i'm bending the truth now? 2) maybe "you can't handle the truth" (jack nickolson ((sP?)) "a few good men"):rofl: just be nice. i'm not trying to argue with you...3) just trying to show you a whole different world.
check out the website though. its good. we even have video clips. thats just the webmaster in me promotin it though. hee hee!!

1) yup!
2) Fire away...I'll take my chances.
3) And which world would that be??? How to not answer a question.??

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
1) as you might have noticed we are a non japanese style that is derived from a japanese concept. might help you for the future.

i'll make sure he knows you think so:rolleyes:

thanks?

2) no not really... but although hayes's students use the word an-shu which pretty much means founder. the word "founder" doesn't sound as cool though does it?:rolleyes:

3) well even though you are against it... people can do whatever they want. and again its all on how your art is based. you might not like it but...

4) not really... why would someone have to rename everything they do? because you say so? i don't think so. "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" should SENSEI TEW have to rename the katana blade too?:rolleyes:

1) I like putting rocks in funny shapes….I think I’ll call myself a Druid. :rolleyes: I am also into ancient Swedish swords…..I think I will call myself a Viking as well….yes that’s it! I will call my style the “Druid Viking Puerto Rican Dogsled” style…Because I’m a “total warrior” not to be confused with a ½ warrior or even a ¼ warrior…and if anyone asks for information on my training I will tell them "I don't really like to talk about my past or my x-teachers" then proceed to try and sell them on some video classes……
2) Probably why Tew uses Ninjutsu for whatever it is that he does…..like I said before it’s a marketing tool to get people that have no clue to come and join his school.
3) Ah….and this has been the point of all my questions….what is his art based on?
4) Uhhhh because they can prove no basis or connection for calling it by the name they are using

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1) I like putting rocks in funny shapes….I think I’ll call myself a Druid. :rolleyes: I am also into ancient Swedish swords…..I think I will call myself a Viking as well….yes that’s it! I will call my style the “Druid Viking Puerto Rican Dogsled” style…Because I’m a “total warrior” not to be confused with a ½ warrior or even a ¼ warrior…and if anyone asks for information on my training I will tell them "I don't really like to talk about my past or my x-teachers" then proceed to try and sell them on some video classes……
2) Probably why Tew uses Ninjutsu for whatever it is that he does…..like I said before it’s a marketing tool to get people that have no clue to come and join his school.
3) Ah….and this has been the point of all my questions….what is his art based on?
4) Uhhhh because they can prove no basis or connection for calling it by the name they are using
now wouldn't this be considered "sniping"? well there you go...

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
now wouldn't this be considered "sniping"? well there you go...

Actually no........1) is a joke, 2) is a conclusion as to why Tew uses Ninjutsu, 3) & 4) are just plain old boring replies

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw #1 in a sarcastic vein and was quietly happy he didn't call it "inu yoshiki".

(which is very probably very wrong, but .....) :D

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I saw #1 in a sarcastic vein and was quietly happy he didn't call it "inu yoshiki".

(which is very probably very wrong, but .....) :D

:)
Not bad.... I have to remember that!