Promoted himself to black belt.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had a guy come in yesterday and buy a black belt. He watched classes for awhile and my wife casually asked him if he was a black belt, and where he trained.

He said he and his buddy made up their own style...and said "So I guess I'm a black belt."

Sigh.

I think I'll go bang my head against a wall. It is, after all, worthy of my moniker.

Regards,

Steve

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So that's how you do it.

Heck, now I don't have to goto class anymore, I can just wack some trees and buy a belt.

Wait! I have black dye, and a white belt! YES!
I now don my black belt on Scooby Do ryu Kung Pow.

:)

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
So that's how you do it.

Heck, now I don't have to goto class anymore, I can just wack some trees and buy a belt.

Wait! I have black dye, and a white belt! YES!
I now don my black belt on Scooby Do ryu Kung Pow.

:)

Do you do any Scooby forms

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
But why was the guy watching the class? Wannabe but can't act on it? Trying to pickup some moves to fake it? And when he does put on that belt who's he trying to impress especially if he can't even tie it right to begin with? Then I know of a husband (not mine) who puts down his wife and says she is buying her belt when in actuality is working very hard, he just never bothers to ever come and see. Alot of people are living in their own world. TW

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Then I know of a husband (not mine) who puts down his wife and says she is buying her belt when in actuality is working very hard, he just never bothers to ever come and see. Alot of people are living in their own world. TW

I see it also, I HAD a student who came to class feeling defeated as soon as she came throught he door.

The class would work on various scenarios and she's feeling great, then the next class walking in with her head down again. At this point I know it's the hubby at home, so I say to the class (all women) is it possible for your husbands or boy friends to make to class so they can see what your training is and how to help you train at home.

I got some good feedback from most except her, in front of everyone she says my husband said this stuff is a waste of time and if I ever get attacked I'm dead anyway (he always says this as she leaves the house for class)

This didn't shock me I figured this might be the case, but I was hoping he would at least show up to find out. I saw him in the parking lot one day and I let him know he was invited, he began to say how great an idea that was and how good this was for his wife and all the other women in class.

We shook hands said see ya later and I went back into class, that was her last day at my school.

Was I surprised no, did it bother me, a little. The real problem is no matter her training , if you believe the moment your attcked that your going to die , then I belive you will.

Back to that self promoted Black Belt, he won't last long and hopefuly he dosen't do much harm before he's exposed, That's about all you can hope for.

Unless he starts a Women's self-defense class and they kick the crap out of him, I'd be ok with that. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, occasionally some self-defense classes pop up around here usually for one class. :( For the most part it is just a foray to see if a new school would have support and are by reputable black belts from other towns. But then some aren't ... maybe I should start going to those for the reason you mentioned. :D TW

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much does this bother you, Steve? Would you be prepared to seek him out, and check out a couple of his classes - perhaps discouraging him from duping unsuspecting students by shaming him through demonstrating his lack of abilities? I know, it's harsh, but geez. This is the kind of stuff that damages the credibility of all legitimate instructors, and could feasibly hurt your reputation. All he needs to say is "I recieved my black belt from Steve Scott", and suddenly your reputation is involved.

What a fubar.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
How much does this bother you, Steve? Would you be prepared to seek him out, and check out a couple of his classes - perhaps discouraging him from duping unsuspecting students by shaming him through demonstrating his lack of abilities? I know, it's harsh, but geez. This is the kind of stuff that damages the credibility of all legitimate instructors, and could feasibly hurt your reputation. All he needs to say is "I recieved my black belt from Steve Scott", and suddenly your reputation is involved.

What a fubar.
You know Steve, Dan has a point! Why didn't he just go to a supply store or get one on the internet. No - he came to you - so now he can say - "oh I received my black belt from Steve". Man this really urks me! What a booger!

Donna :ultracool

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if Steve gives out fancy embroidered ones with his school name on it and the name of the holder that would differentiate it. But to the general unknowing public, its a belt and its black-wow. But, a fake wouldn't last long in a class/school situation if word of mouth gets around like it does in our town.

And also nowhere is it mentioned that that guy has a class, just probaby boxes in the garage with a buddy--his style. Who knows? But definitely something to keep ears open to...any new classes starting in town. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's people like that in which gives martial arts a bad name. It'll only be a matter of time before he gets students that will figure him out. Most likely after they watch a class that someone else teaches that legitly got their belts with old fashioned hard work.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
But why was the guy watching the class? Wannabe but can't act on it? Trying to pickup some moves to fake it? And when he does put on that belt who's he trying to impress especially if he can't even tie it right to begin with? Then I know of a husband (not mine) who puts down his wife and says she is buying her belt when in actuality is working very hard, he just never bothers to ever come and see. Alot of people are living in their own world. TW

His buddy was taking our judo class. I'm going to have to mention it to the instructor...see what he says. The one watching says he never took any formal classes.

That wife you mentioned needs to reach out and grab her hubbies testes and squeeeeeeeeeeze. Slowly at first, so as to get a whimpering plea for mercy and wheedling negotiation. Then harder so as to settle the issue with his gurgling and breathless pants of desperation.

Geez. He needs Doctor Phil.

Regards,

Steve

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or she could say, honey, I bought you a black belt, now that we're equal, I can show you some of my skills... it won't hurt too much. :D TW

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
D_Brady said:
I see it also, I HAD a student who came to class feeling defeated as soon as she came throught he door.

The class would work on various scenarios and she's feeling great, then the next class walking in with her head down again. At this point I know it's the hubby at home, so I say to the class (all women) is it possible for your husbands or boy friends to make to class so they can see what your training is and how to help you train at home.

I got some good feedback from most except her, in front of everyone she says my husband said this stuff is a waste of time and if I ever get attacked I'm dead anyway (he always says this as she leaves the house for class)

This didn't shock me I figured this might be the case, but I was hoping he would at least show up to find out. I saw him in the parking lot one day and I let him know he was invited, he began to say how great an idea that was and how good this was for his wife and all the other women in class.

We shook hands said see ya later and I went back into class, that was her last day at my school.

Was I surprised no, did it bother me, a little. The real problem is no matter her training , if you believe the moment your attcked that your going to die , then I belive you will.

Back to that self promoted Black Belt, he won't last long and hopefuly he dosen't do much harm before he's exposed, That's about all you can hope for.

Unless he starts a Women's self-defense class and they kick the crap out of him, I'd be ok with that. :)
Sounds like she had to put up with a lot of verbal abuse at home, and then was no longer allowed to come to class.

I'd like to kick the (blank blank) out of that guy.

Or a slow choke. Either way.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Sounds like she had to put up with a lot of verbal abuse at home, and then was no longer allowed to come to class.

I'd like to kick the (blank blank) out of that guy.

Or a slow choke. Either way.

Are suggesting slowly choking as you do the Riverdance on his groin.

(ouch)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Feisty, let's tag-team him. One of us can put the choke on until he starts to pass out, then revive him long enough for us to Riverdance on his groin (as D_Brady so fondly suggested), then put the choke on again, etc. etc. etc.

I got a few hours to kill, you?

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
oh can i join ya... i dont know much yet ...but im sure i can come up with something fun :btg:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now Now ladies, thats not why you learn martial arts...

Latest Discussions