Puzzle tiles.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't. They are awful and are injuries waiting to happen. Just don't. It's like drugs. Just say no.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is talking about the mats. Probably lost a little toe. Most people do at one point.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is talking about the mats. Probably lost a little toe. Most people do at one point.

Lucky for me I didn't lose it completely, just the toe nail got torn off. I'm assuming something similar has happened to you since you were right on the money.

Any elaboration? What is your issue with them, and why are you posting about it?

Getting thrown and throwing people onto them isn't very ideal because how thin they are. They don't provide a lot of cushion.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gathered that is what he was talking about, just wondering the issue as the school I used to go to had used them for about 15 years, and I never heard of someone getting injured by them.
What do you mean by lost a toe?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I gathered that is what he was talking about, just wondering the issue as the school I used to go to had used them for about 15 years, and I never heard of someone getting injured by them.
What do you mean by lost a toe?

Sometimes the puzzles ride up and pieces stick out, and then dumb things happen.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting, I feel like that would at most make you lost a nail, or break a toe, but can't see it happening all that often.

As for them not providing cushion, it makes sense, but that would be an issue for places that do a lot of throwing. The dojo I went to that had them was primarily striking, but I never felt as if there wasn't enough cushion during the times we did throw. May be different if you're being thrown a hundred times a practice though, I suppose.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's interesting, I feel like that would at most make you lost a nail, or break a toe, but can't see it happening all that often.

As for them not providing cushion, it makes sense, but that would be an issue for places that do a lot of throwing. The dojo I went to that had them was primarily striking, but I never felt as if there wasn't enough cushion during the times we did throw. May be different if you're being thrown a hundred times a practice though, I suppose.

That's what I'm saying. It's better to able to practice something many times instead of only a few times. That's why in my opinion it is better to have some form of thick matt.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. It's better to able to practice something many times instead of only a few times. That's why in my opinion it is better to have some form of thick matt.
I absolutely agree with that, it's just not something that I've ever thought about before.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with that, it's just not something that I've ever thought about before.

I never really thought about it either. To be honest I've been very spoiled because the places I've been to have all been placed with thick mats.

Just until recently we removed the mat to place a new one, the new one isn't there yet and for the time being we have puzzle tiles. Those throws hurt very much now lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting thrown and throwing people onto them isn't very ideal because how thin they are. They don't provide a lot of cushion.
That depends which ones you have. I've seen some that are comparable to other mats. I'd consider them for areas where full throws won't happen, with some mat tape to cover the connections.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That depends which ones you have. I've seen some that are comparable to other mats. I'd consider them for areas where full throws won't happen, with some mat tape to cover the connections.

The ones at the YMCA around here have something similar to that. The tape I mean, the tiles are pretty soft but the problem is the floor under them. They are soft but not thick.

I volunteered a little there and was honestly surprised they let me, I wasn't teaching anything but more like assisting. I may do it again to be honest because it was fun, it really depends on what my schedule is like.

People really and a look on their face when they got the floor though. Especially the larger people.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please don't. They are awful and are injuries waiting to happen. Just don't. It's like drugs. Just say no.
Yeah--the thin cheap puzzle mats tend to catch toes.
I've a 30 x 30 training area with 1.25 inch 1 meter x 1 meter Great Mats for about 6 years and have had no problems. I have more problems in our main training area with full 1 meter x 2 meter Zebra mats having the seams opening. We are constantly having to tighten or loosen the mats due to them expanding or contracting with the weather temps.
Been on several 3/4 and 1 inch 2x2 puzzle mats and have had problems catching toes in the seams. If on those type mats I always ask if I can wear mat shoes.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some for my home gym... but I don't do anymore than some stretching on them so all is good.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have some for my home gym... but I don't do anymore than some stretching on them so all is good.

You have a home gym? That's so awesome, some day I plan having one of those too. Maybe a gym home instead, it will be mostly gym with the bare minimum to qualify it as a home.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
puzzle mats are better than wrestling mats. When I started, our school had a giant wrestling mat that was too soft. My poor toes are like little vienna sausages they've been broken so many times. :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have a home gym? That's so awesome, some day I plan having one of those too. Maybe a gym home instead, it will be mostly gym with the bare minimum to qualify it as a home.

It's my garage. I have a bench, half rack w/pulley system, and a kettle bell in there. As a family man, it's difficult to have both gym and martial arts time. I can just slip into my garage for 45 min and be done.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones at the YMCA around here have something similar to that. The tape I mean, the tiles are pretty soft but the problem is the floor under them. They are soft but not thick.

I volunteered a little there and was honestly surprised they let me, I wasn't teaching anything but more like assisting. I may do it again to be honest because it was fun, it really depends on what my schedule is like.

People really and a look on their face when they got the floor though. Especially the larger people.
Yes, a too-soft mat feels really nice until you compress it with a fall!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
puzzle mats are better than wrestling mats. When I started, our school had a giant wrestling mat that was too soft. My poor toes are like little vienna sausages they've been broken so many times. :)

Agreed. We've got some thick (1.5 or 1.75") puzzle mats and love them. They're thick enough to do throws and takedowns, but thin enough for standup.

Latest Discussions