Proper response when receiving new belt

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not jumping the gun and assuming I made orange belt after testing. If anything I should be demoted (no belt!) for how bad I did. Honestly I screwed up o goshi...

Anyway, when someone does get promoted, what is the typical response when you get called up to your sensei? We've only had a handful of promotions since I joined and I can't remember what they did.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not jumping the gun and assuming I made orange belt after testing. If anything I should be demoted (no belt!) for how bad I did. Honestly I screwed up o goshi...

Anyway, when someone does get promoted, what is the typical response when you get called up to your sensei? We've only had a handful of promotions since I joined and I can't remember what they did.
That may vary by school. Generally, something along the lines of, "Thank you, sensei." (Or the equivalent for your school.) Even at black belt, there's usually no expectation that you'll give a speech, bring the booze, or pay for the entertainment.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That may vary by school. Generally, something along the lines of, "Thank you, sensei." (Or the equivalent for your school.) Even at black belt, there's usually no expectation that you'll give a speech, bring the booze, or pay for the entertainment.

I hope I wouldn't be expected to bring booze, I'm only 19!

Now that I'm thinking this early in the morning I think my school just bows. I have to remember to bow to BOTH instructors, someone forgot once, not pretty.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now that I'm thinking this early in the morning I think my school just bows. I have to remember to bow to BOTH instructors, someone forgot once, not pretty.
NGA is semi-traditional, so I get confused when I go to schools that follow more strict traditions. I've been to some where students still aren't allowed to stand, except when performing techniques. Lots of knee-walking (shikkoo) onto and off of the mats, between techniques, etc.

Our sequence for a formal promotion:
  • Class lines up to bow in as usual (usually done at beginning of class) in a formal, kneeling bow.
  • Class stays kneeling, student(s) to be promoted move forward to kneel in front of instructor (who is also kneeling throughout).
  • Instructor gives some brief words about what the next rank's expectations are, hands over the belt and certificate.
  • Instructor and promoted students repeat formal bow.
  • Promoted students return to the line, kneel, put new stuff to their right.
  • (Some instructors do another formal bow here - I start getting impatient.)
  • Class moves to warm-ups (promoted students quickly change belts, put old belts and certificates with their clothes).
Most NGA dojos also use a nafuda (name board - place where all the students' names hang, showing rank/seniority). Student gets to move their name on the nafuda when they complete all the requirements (tests, etc.) for the next rank. If the school is part of an association (NGAA, NGAF, etc.), the certificate will take a couple of weeks to arrive. I don't do certificates (yet, might change my mind on that), so I don't have that delay (and don't have a nafuda - not my space).

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
NGA is semi-traditional, so I get confused when I go to schools that follow more strict traditions. I've been to some where students still aren't allowed to stand, except when performing techniques. Lots of knee-walking (shikkoo) onto and off of the mats, between techniques, etc.

Our sequence for a formal promotion:
  • Class lines up to bow in as usual (usually done at beginning of class) in a formal, kneeling bow.
  • Class stays kneeling, student(s) to be promoted move forward to kneel in front of instructor (who is also kneeling throughout).
  • Instructor gives some brief words about what the next rank's expectations are, hands over the belt and certificate.
  • Instructor and promoted students repeat formal bow.
  • Promoted students return to the line, kneel, put new stuff to their right.
  • (Some instructors do another formal bow here - I start getting impatient.)
  • Class moves to warm-ups (promoted students quickly change belts, put old belts and certificates with their clothes).
Most NGA dojos also use a nafuda (name board - place where all the students' names hang, showing rank/seniority). Student gets to move their name on the nafuda when they complete all the requirements (tests, etc.) for the next rank. If the school is part of an association (NGAA, NGAF, etc.), the certificate will take a couple of weeks to arrive. I don't do certificates (yet, might change my mind on that), so I don't have that delay (and don't have a nafuda - not my space).

Wow, you guys are strict.

I think I'm overthinking it because I was in the ROTC program in high school and of course it's a military program so there's formalities, following things to a T. Fast forward to judo and that high school mindset kicks in: do I speak? Do I bow a lot? Can I smile??

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are strict.

I think I'm overthinking it because I was in the ROTC program in high school and of course it's a military program so there's formalities, following things to a T. Fast forward to judo and that high school mindset kicks in: do I speak? Do I bow a lot? Can I smile??
It's not as bad as it seems. Remember this happens in the middle of a normal formal bow (and we get used to instructors taking a moment to ramble at that point, anyway). Basically, they go up to get their belts, hear a few words ("As an orange belt, I expect you to start developing an effective range to your responses."), bow, and get back in line with everyone else.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Put on the belt, bow, get to work.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Definitely varies by school. And in ours, if a person messes it up, it's no big deal; we fix it on the fly, no harm no foul. The important thing is to show respect. Do that and you're probably going to be fine.

In our school, when a student is called up for promotion, they typically step back from the kyu line (I am presuming they are kyu students and not udansha). They go to the end of the line, bow to Sensei, step forward and face Sensei, bow again. Not unlike the military 'front and center' command.

Then they either remain standing, or sit seiza, depending on Sensei's decisions that day.

The person being promoted is discussed by Sensei, and then the person is told to remove their belt. They are given the new belt by Sensei and told to tie it on. We help with the children if they haven't mastered tying on the obi yet.

Sensei and student then bow to each other. Student walks backwards to the spot they came in (to avoid turning their back on Sensei). They bow to Sensei once more and then take their place in the kyu line in accordance with their new rank.

Applause and handshakes come afterwards. If it's kids, there are usually photo ops after class with Sensei.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have definitely heard of Sensei throwing a belt at a student and saying "Put this on, I'm sick of looking at the other one."

Funny story here. Speaking of having a belt for too long, I put off testing too much for sensei's liking. Coaches agreed that I was testing next opportunity, and me being stubborn me I emailed our head sensei the night before with a fair list of excuses (back, knee issues, school work) of why I couldn't test.

Around 3 in the morning I got a text from the other sensei (who was in Europe at the time) telling me to stop being a baby and test. Nothing like a bright screen in the wee hours of the morning to make you change your mind (that and sensei using my first name in his response email, THAT is a sign to cut the crap).

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny story here. Speaking of having a belt for too long, I put off testing too much for sensei's liking. Coaches agreed that I was testing next opportunity, and me being stubborn me I emailed our head sensei the night before with a fair list of excuses (back, knee issues, school work) of why I couldn't test.

Around 3 in the morning I got a text from the other sensei (who was in Europe at the time) telling me to stop being a baby and test. Nothing like a bright screen in the wee hours of the morning to make you change your mind (that and sensei using my first name in his response email, THAT is a sign to cut the crap).

At least in our dojo, testing is an ongoing process. Sensei might call a student up and ask them to do a given kata or do some light sparring or what-have-you, but in general he tells people to take their written test when he thinks they are ready. When they turn it in and pass, then they're on the short list and promotion could happen at any time - or not. It's really not that much up to the student themselves. I've seen a few intentionally not turn in their written test, but eventually Sensei tells them to get it done and that's the end of that nonsense.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At least in our dojo, testing is an ongoing process. Sensei might call a student up and ask them to do a given kata or do some light sparring or what-have-you, but in general he tells people to take their written test when he thinks they are ready. When they turn it in and pass, then they're on the short list and promotion could happen at any time - or not. It's really not that much up to the student themselves. I've seen a few intentionally not turn in their written test, but eventually Sensei tells them to get it done and that's the end of that nonsense.

I guess the voice of god is used in all dojos, huh?

Since we're a college club sensei understands if we can't make certain commitments so we have some say. However if we have none at the time of testing we better be there. Typically he'll drop hints like "some of you need to get some color around your waist" to everyone while in seiza when it's really a hint hint wink wink kind of thing towards a particular student (a la me) and then when we get closer to the testing date he'll point to students and "ask" if they're testing.

I put ask in quotes because if we say no he'll ask why we said no if we're testing. Reverse psychology kind of.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shame you aren't in UK, legal drinking age is 18!

Whenever I've graded all we've done is when we line up at the beginning of class is be called forward be given your new belt, put it on and carry on training. We often went out for a drink after class anyway so you could buy a round but while it was good to pass a grading it wasn't treated as anything very special.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched a video of a BJJ instructor pin a girl in side control, remove her white belt, and replace it with a blue without her knowing because he had her cross-faced. That's how it's done, haha. For mine, we just rolled for 90 mins, got called up to sit next to the instructor where he one by one removed our belts and put on the new one. We each gave like 10 second speeches. Then we ran the gauntlet. Good times.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a video of a BJJ instructor pin a girl in side control, remove her white belt, and replace it with a blue without her knowing because he had her cross-faced. That's how it's done, haha. For mine, we just rolled for 90 mins, got called up to sit next to the instructor where he one by one removed our belts and put on the new one. We each gave like 10 second speeches. Then we ran the gauntlet. Good times.
I told my wife I wanted to have the promoted student attack with a weapon, use the belt in my defense, and just drop it on them after they hit the ground. "Nice attack. Now go change your belt." She was not amused.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I told my wife I wanted to have the promoted student attack with a weapon, use the belt in my defense, and just drop it on them after they hit the ground. "Nice attack. Now go change your belt." She was not amused.

Don't listen to her! That would be awesome!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to her! That would be awesome!
That's what I thought. Now the dilemma: stay close to the tradition of the art (which I actually like), or stray even further from the formality I trained in. Tough choice for me.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest i don't it hugely matters I mean yes you can smile well I hope so if you get in trouble for smiling then that's just wrong. I mean see what the others do around you but as long as when your name gets called you don't do something like "WOOO thanks bro bout time you gave me this belt" I think you'll be alright

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest i don't it hugely matters I mean yes you can smile well I hope so if you get in trouble for smiling then that's just wrong. I mean see what the others do around you but as long as when your name gets called you don't do something like "WOOO thanks bro bout time you gave me this belt" I think you'll be alright
Man, I hope none of my students read this forum. They might do that just to see what I say. Did I mention my classes are kind of informal?

Latest Discussions