Putting together a "coaching bag"

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Searched, didn't see anything. My apologies if this has been done.

I decided this week that I'd get a hockey bag and fill it with the things I want with me for competition training, and more specifically when cornering a fighter on competition day. Here's what I got so far:

-Kick shield (Mine is garbage, needs to be replaced)
-Kick paddles (4 KSD ones that are also garbage, 2 Adidas ones that I love)
-Spare chest protector
-iPod dock (Mainly so I can use my iPhone as a timer)

Anything else? I'm tempted to pick up some focus mitts. Does anyone else use those to train/warm up competitors?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything else?

Johnson and Johnson athletic tape. cold spray. mini first aid kit. water bottle. no kick shield. two hogus and two paddles is enough equipment. The hogus are less bulky and can serve as a shield. timer. whistle. maybe ladder and/or plastic cones for drills.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was actually hoping you'd post here Puunui, thank you

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "cold spray"?

I have a first aid kit as well as water etc., forgot to mention that

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "cold spray"?

Cold spray is an aerosol can of, I guess, cold. It is for an athlete who is injured and you don't have ice available. It is basically a substitute for ice.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, I have never seen that...Going to have to go find some! Thanks.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you`re adding taping supplies I`d throw in some under-wrap if your fighters don`t shave their legs. An Ace bandage or two is always good to hold an ice bag in place. A couple zip-lock bags (either use `em for ice or to throw your garbage from the first aid kit into.) Scissors if there aren`t any in the first aid kit.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was competing I'd have the above as well as Tiger Balm. It helps keep you from getting too stiff on the drive home. Especially helpful for us older than young guys :)

You might also pack a couple of power bars.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My little training group meets outdoors so In mine I carry instant ice packs, ibuprofen, extra water, athletic tape, a first aid kit (usually kept in the car) and some food -- usually protein bars and Power Bar Energy Blasts, which are these overpriced packages of processed glucose and caffeine. Of these, the Advil, extra water and Energy Blasts have been used the most...not just by me but by my training partners as well. Its good to get out and play hard, but its also important to be alert and safe behind the wheel when driving back.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of also keeping vitamin C around in either lozenge form or those little water-soluable EmergenC packets, as well as a vial of Montana Arnica pellets. Arnica reduces swelling really well and keeps you from stiffening up after an injury or strain, 5 pellets under the tongue for quick absorbtion.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I end up with snacks and water, but the core of my bag is:

instant ice pack
cold spray
2 rolls athletic tape
tiger balm
1 adidas paddle (athletes also carry them)
first aid for cuts

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:eek:

That's spartanic....

Ok, so I am an incouragable mother hen, I tend to bring everything, just short of the kitchen sink....

Not sure how protein bars work in the middle of a workout/tourney, I pack granola bars. Plenty of liquids (after a while plain water does not work anymore, so maybe some electrolytes)

Ditto on the bandages and tape (and the underlayer, waxing is painful!)
Disposable instant ice packs, had actually use for them, and we don't hit hard.

I'd also throw in a spare (cheap) mouth piece or two, as well as some mouth wash to rinse one should it fall on the floor.

Some Ibuprofen or Aleve or tylenol.

As for the coaching, maybe an energy drink or caffeine boost to stay alert.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:eek:

That's spartanic....

Ok, so I am an incouragable mother hen, I tend to bring everything, just short of the kitchen sink....

Not sure how protein bars work in the middle of a workout/tourney, I pack granola bars. Plenty of liquids (after a while plain water does not work anymore, so maybe some electrolytes)

Ditto on the bandages and tape (and the underlayer, waxing is painful!)

I'd also throw in a spare (cheap) mouth piece or two, as well as some mouth wash to rinse one should it fall on the floor.

Some Ibuprofen or Aleve or tylenol.

As for the coaching, maybe an energy drink or caffeine boost to stay alert.

For my bag, the protein bars are more like emergency provisions -- especially for refueling at the end. We all bring our own food/snacks/drinks/liquids -- the stuff in the gear bag is for more of a just-in-case scenario.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is this the kind where you smash them together and it becomes cold? I used to carry that but can't find them anymore. I was told by Trish Bare that we should never use those blue ice or reusable ice packs, because they get too cold and you can get frostbite from them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For my bag, the protein bars are more like emergency provisions -- especially for refueling at the end. We all bring our own food/snacks/drinks/liquids -- the stuff in the gear bag is for more of a just-in-case scenario.

Yep, just in case ^_^

Is this the kind where you smash them together and it becomes cold? I used to carry that but can't find them anymore. I was told by Trish Bare that we should never use those blue ice or reusable ice packs, because they get too cold and you can get frostbite from them.

Yes, those ice packs. I had not looked for them in three years or so, eventually I used the last one up.

I had some luck at the closeout store locally.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One last question,

What's in your first aid kits? I have med tape, band aids, alcohol swabs, ace bandage, knife, CPR mask, gloves. Anything else I should go get?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's in your first aid kits? I have med tape, band aids, alcohol swabs, ace bandage, knife, CPR mask, gloves. Anything else I should go get?

I have never used them, but in addition to all the other suggestions, you might want to have some of those ammonia inhalers for knockouts or near knockouts.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One last question,

Add a triple-antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin and some hand sanitizer. I also have instant ice packs in mine. Because we are outdoors, I also keep AfterBite, calamine lotion and benadryl tablets.

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One last question,

A bottle of Jameson and some duct tape(name brand)

Latest Discussions