Promotions!!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't pass, Tell BH that I will personally come over and Kick his gimpy A.. LOL

Do your best!!!! The worst is you'll learn something...... (like not eat 15 bean burritos before the test) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

DDo your best!!!! The worst is you'll learn something...... (like not eat 15 bean burritos before the test)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
One of your less appetizing quotes, sir
:eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
T

tonbo

William, I'd wish you good luck, but I don't think you'll need it. Rely on your skill instead. If you weren't ready, they wouldn't have sent you to the test....:)

Think of it as just another class. That oughta lessen the tension a bit. At least that's what they used to tell me, and I never listened. I panicked every time, but went through every time..:)

Anyway, I agree with a lot of what William had said about the testing procedures. At my school, you are not sent to the tests if you are not ready. Sometimes, you decide you are ready to test, and sometimes, the instructors decide it for you. Mostly, it is the latter, although some people think it's the former...;)

Seriously, though. The way I have heard it described (and described it to students) is this way: the evaluations (pre-test qualifications) are to see how you perform under pressure, and what you need to work on. The tests are more of a show for parents and friends, as well as a ceremonial application.

As an instructor, I can see where students are each time they are in class. I know basically what they are capable of, and how they are doing. Same with my being evaluated--my instructor knows my karate pros and cons better than I do. He can judge my progress much better than I can.

I don't want to ramble again, so I'll just leave it at that.

Parting word of pretend wisdom, William:

Think of a song that makes you happy. Listen to that song before your test and keep it in your head. When the test starts, take a deep breath. Relax, breathe, and listen to the music. Have fun. You are at the test, which means it is now time just to show what you know. The instructors have faith in you, so show them *why*..:)

Peace--

OP
R

RCastillo

I'm still waiting to get my promotion from Lord Gou Ronin!:soapbox:

OP
W

warriorsage

I'm always nervous before a test, much like I was always nervous before a football or basketball game. I've never tested without being 100 percent sure I knew all the material. The nervousness came from all the pressure I was putting on myself to be operating at maximum potential, and wanting my instructors to be proud of my efforts.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I am just trying to get rank here so positng ;~)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
The way I do it, testing is a formality, if I think they cannot pass, I tell them not to test. So far I have been wrong once. I had a student that wanted to test, I told him I did not think he should because I honestly felt he could not pass. I told him that I would not even sign him uyp for it. He came in to "help" with the testing and I let him go through the whole test.....He got promoted the following week. I learned a lesson there.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I survived!!! Dennis Conatser was the first person I called when I got home, and he was pleased with the results. Yep, that's right I was promoted to 3rd Degree Brown tonight! But, boy was it an experience!!! (The pain... oh... the pain...)

For those of you whom don't know me this has been 3 years, 10 months, and 7 days in the making. That's right... I was a green belt for over three years, and although I was rather fond of my old tattered green belt, THE WHITE GI HAD TO GO!!! (I hate the way that arm pit stains mess up my clean white gi's.)

The test took almost 2 1/2 hours! The thing is... there were more black belts on the panel then there were students testing. I am going to tell you right now... that made for a very unpleasant experience, followed by a well deserved reward for everyone who stuck it out. The thing I learned is that when alot of people are testing it gives you a little bit of time to recooperate between excercises, but when there are only four people testing... BE PREPARED FOR UN-INTERUPTED HELL!!!

Now I have to admit that I am not in the best physical condition, but I have been making alot of progress toward my desired weight... I started at Mr. Hawkins Studio about two months ago, (switching to him from Ed Parker's Karate Studio in Pasadena, due to some personal conflicts... nothing more) and I have gone from 265 lbs. to 240 lbs. in that time. I have 35 more pounds to go before I ever consider testing again. (Sucking wind is not all it's cracked up to be)... BTW according to United States military standards I should weigh 197 lbs. (I'm 5'11" if your curious).

Well... that's my horror story for the night... Thanks for all the support guys. It really meant alot to me.

Respectfully,
Billy Lear :asian:

P.S. Mr. Hawkins didn't kick me, Wes Idol did. His foot bounced off my spine! Oh whatta feeeling! :eek:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to go Billy!!! Glad you made it, score one for the big guys in the world. Keep training hard and I know you'll make that weight goal.

:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Congratulations Billy!!!

So I guess the next question is, now that you have the brown and can almost taste the black, has it renewed your enthusiasm?

Again my friend congratualtions.

OP
G

GouRonin

Way to go pudding face!

Your friend, "Lord" Gou Ronin...

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Billy

I remember my brown 3 test. I couldn't sleep for a week. After I finished the test (over 2 hours, pain, exhaustion, ya the usual), I felt relief and true sense of accomplishment. That is until one sadistic Black Blet came over and told me, "Hey, your half way there. Now it really gets tough.":shrug:

Yup, it didn't bother me....seriously it didn't....no really it's true....no, who am I kidding.:waah:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Oh where oh where could he be... ?

Lord Gou? Where did that come from? The last time I heard a title in front of your name, it was buck-private butt licker... and now you are a "Lord"? Who promoted you? Who was it?! Was it that Ricardo guy in Texas? You know... the Master of the Partial Arts Ricardo "The Armadillo" Castillo. :lol: (I think it was! He's the only one that I know of that ranks his students with Pink Belts.) I'M JEALOUS!!! I WANNA FLAMING PINK BELT TOO!!! I WANNA BE LIKE GOU!!! I CAN BARK LIKE A DOG, AND PEE ON TELEPHONE POLES TOO!!! :drink2tha

On a serious note: Thanks!!! Everyone!!! I'm glad I stuck it out!!! And to answer Rob Broad... Can't taste it, but I'm hungry again!

Take Care,
Billy Lear

P.S. Gou, has anyone ever called you a dog before? :rofl:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Don't cry dude... I feel your pain... Trust me... (oh the pain... cramping muscles... I even went into class today... ouch time!)

Take Care,
Billy Lear

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Oh where oh where could he be... ?

Lord Gou? Where did that come from? The last time I heard a title in front of your name, it was buck-private butt licker... and now you are a "Lord"? Who promoted you? Who was it?! Was it that Ricardo guy in Texas? You know... the Master of the Partial Arts Ricardo "The Armadillo" Castillo. :lol: (I think it was! He's the only one that I know of that ranks his students with Pink Belts.) I'M JEALOUS!!! I WANNA FLAMING PINK BELT TOO!!! I WANNA BE LIKE GOU!!! I CAN BARK LIKE A DOG, AND PEE ON TELEPHONE POLES TOO!!! :drink2tha

On a serious note: Thanks!!! Everyone!!! I'm glad I stuck it out!!! And to answer Rob Broad... Can't taste it, but I'm hungry again!

P.S. Gou, has anyone ever called you a dog before? :rofl:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Before I forget, Congrats Billy, on your new promotion. And now, on to.............

Lord Gou has rightly earned that title as "Top Kenpo Man" in Canada!

He has taken on all comers, and his record stands unblemished. he will put his title on the line, anywhere, anytime, and even for no purse either!

Texas backs our Canadian allies!

:mad:

Latest Discussions