Preventing Burn-Out

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Rats.. Ok Forfeits my race car to the Master.. Guess I have no choice.. *snickers with a respectful smirk* heheeee

No, you do....... I'll bring my custom '57 Chevy monopoly piece for me.:) :D :rofl:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
with children in class ....... we are developing a new Kenpo Kids game........

Whistling with hands behind back while rubbing foot around ground.......

:)

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Sigung86
Further ... You will never see the Goochie-Goochie in any manual. It was invented by Dennis Conatser, and Frank Trejo one night in front of an EZ Mart. It was used to fight off a hoarde of nekkid dancing girls. Both Dennis, and Frank, at the time, knew that their strength was the strength of twenty because their hearts were pure.

That reminds me of the old cartoon of Hercules. The guy with the strength of 10 ordinary men. I was always wondering why didn't 11 guys get together and beat the cr@p out of him?

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
The reason the set night was initiall established was because I forsee myself missing classes in the near future. I wanted my upper belts to be able to step into fill the void. I usually do not have the class spar the entire hour. There are only a few of us that can go like that, the rest start to drop after about 40 minutes. The Kenpo Dodge ball seems to be working, time to come up with something else. I'm thinking Kenpo Chess or Checkers next.
I do try and break up the classes somewhat, but with the amount of material we are trying to get across, I don't want to take away from that either.

S

Stick Dummy

Tess,

Glad you and the class enjoyed the latest "technique"/concept introduction. You gots da power, my arms still hurts, now for finess in delivering it.

Did Seig try it on you during class????????

I saw BillyStang & Chronus getting kinda "blurred" across the floor by Seig using it in practical application.

Chronus ALMOST has the DiGiorno Stuffed Crust shuffle down as good as 'Stangboy does :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: look our for those two guys once its mastered.

Monopoly????? with full size cars?? bevies of gals :ladysman:

GD7 you're nuts, and they're talking about your rapping/rhyming/crooning ability even in the darkest corners of By-Gawd West Virginny!!

and no Goochies Goochies were shown............

K

Kirk

Do any of you ever get where you don't WANT to go train on a
specific day, yet when you get there, and start doing it, you're
motivated just as hard as the first day you walked on to the mat?

I think I've made it obvious here that I'm overweight. Now I can
make a million excuses as to WHY it happened, but I wont bore
you. Bottom line, I'm trying HARD to change it. Yet on training
days at my school, I drag my *** in there, the first day, in a bit
of a protest (after taking the weekend off) .. but after that day,
I'm all fired up for the week. PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in this.

W

Wertle

I sometimes suffer from that. After work, I have to do everything in my power to keep from taking a nap, else I'll sleep right through class. Even if I feel bad, once I actually get into class, I cheer right up. Then *after* class I have ten times the energy, and I have to make an effort to calm down for the night's sleep ^_^

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is pretty common to have a hard day at work or school then drag yourself to class ... as a student. This does not change when you are an instructor, but you have to generate the right energy for the class.

Sports psychologist say that students remember what it feels like at the end of class. If this is worn out, dog tired, or hurt ... that is what they feel and associate with the workout, regardless of what other good stuff you did prior to this. The intellect knows better, but the "feeling" or kinesthetic experience is what the body "remembers".

Try something a little different: Start out warming up, semi-aerobic to full aerobic (trainer phase), taper off during the "teaching phase" of the class doing techniques, forms, sets, weapons, etc. , then pick the pace up again just the last 5 minutes of class. Kicking shield drills with knees and elbows, just a couple of times across the room. Or maybe a real intense 5 minuted drill of "ripping" off techniques. Push a specific set, right side, left side, right side, left side aerobically.

Just so you realize whatever they feel at the end of class is what they walk away with. They remember the intensity at the end of class. Do this a couple of times a week and see if there are any comments about how good a class it was ... even if it was so-so, the end often matters more to the students than we, as instructors, are aware of. We also feel better after those kind of workouts.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

R

RCastillo

Our school is open 5 nights a week.. 3 nights for kids class ontop of the adults.. I'm seeing some burn-out going on and I want to nip it in the bud if possible. There needs to be something to spur these students on. We do Tecs usually Mondays and Wednesday's. Sparring on Tuesdays and Thursdays. and Friday is Instructors choice. Alot of the students don't bother coming on sparring nights for whatever reason.. Aside from breaking up the weeks curriculum what kind of ideas do you have to keep the spark going. There's so much information per belt and whenever the upper belts have to take time and teach the lower belts something it takes time away from their own tecs etc.
Warmups generally last 15-20 minutes of the hour and they are getting repetitious to say the least.. even though we try to change things day to day.. keeping the base warmups where they are needed.
Tecs, Forms etc all need to be learned and Maybe it's just too much material all at once..
Help~!!! input is appreciated~!!

Thanks
Tess

Might I suggest, if no one else has: An inner school tournament?

It could be soley based on kata, or sparring, best self defense routine, even breaking. Offer small trophies, gift certificates!(Small entrance fee)

The catch is, Can you get Seig to get a crowbar to open that wallet of his?:rofl:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Might I suggest, if no one else has: An inner school tournament?

It could be soley based on kata, or sparring, best self defense routine, even breaking. Offer small trophies, gift certificates!(Small entrance fee)

The catch is, Can you get Seig to get a crowbar to open that wallet of his?:rofl:

Inner school tournie.. now that sounds interesting.. *thinking this through.. sounds like something we could pull off Ricardo..
Seig has no problems getting the wallet open... It's pretty flat anyway.. We need a rich sponser.. *grins*

R

RCastillo

Inner school tournie.. now that sounds interesting.. *thinking this through.. sounds like something we could pull off Ricardo..
Seig has no problems getting the wallet open... It's pretty flat anyway.. We need a rich sponser.. *grins*

Hey, I finally made an honest to goodness contirbution here!:boing2:

R

RCastillo

Yes you did~!! *pins a medal on your Ghi* least the thread hasn't deteriorated to food.. *not holding breath though~!

FOOD!?!

PLEASE bring out a plate for Seig, Dennis. and me!

Thanks!:boing2:

Oh, and turn on the tube, and hide the kids, and the dogs!

Latest Discussions