Preventing Burn-Out

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoTess

Oh Man.. I deny all hahaaa.. sure I'll feed you.. but you guys are doing KP duty.. *whistling under my breath*..

Well, let's see, Kirk is the lowest ranked, so.......:rofl:

R

Rob_Broad

I think they have your number Kirk. West Virginia just might be a state you will want to avoid for a few more years. So that makes 3 states you don't want to visit and 11 that you are not allowed back into if my math is correct.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I think they have your number Kirk. West Virginia just might be a state you will want to avoid for a few more years. So that makes 3 states you don't want to visit and 11 that you are not allowed back into if my math is correct.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ROFL! But my numbers are still better than SOME people here ;)

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Kirk

ROFL! But my numbers are still better than SOME people here ;)
Be thankful I didn't mention the number of states you are "Wanted" in. I seem to recall 3 of them were dead or alive (preferrably dead)

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

FOOD!?!

PLEASE bring out a plate for Seig, Dennis. and me!

Thanks!:boing2:

Oh, and turn on the tube, and hide the kids, and the dogs!

Actually,

I'm surprised she didn't ask you what's wrong your hands and feet...you can make your own plate. Also your a pretty picky house guest (but hey my grandpa was the same way, viejo) ... :rofl:

As far as Kirk doing the dishes, skip West VA and we'll just stay here in good ole Tejas and have some TexMex over on Babcock and get served...

jb:asian:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Our school is open 5 nights a week.. 3 nights for kids class ontop of the adults.. I'm seeing some burn-out going on and I want to nip it in the bud if possible. There needs to be something to spur these students on. We do Tecs usually Mondays and Wednesday's. Sparring on Tuesdays and Thursdays. and Friday is Instructors choice. Alot of the students don't bother coming on sparring nights for whatever reason.. Aside from breaking up the weeks curriculum what kind of ideas do you have to keep the spark going. There's so much information per belt and whenever the upper belts have to take time and teach the lower belts something it takes time away from their own tecs etc.
Warmups generally last 15-20 minutes of the hour and they are getting repetitious to say the least.. even though we try to change things day to day.. keeping the base warmups where they are needed.
Tecs, Forms etc all need to be learned and Maybe it's just too much material all at once..
Help~!!! input is appreciated~!!

Thanks
Tess

Spontaneity drills and Kenpo twister pick it up in our Sat. class down in Pasadena for alot of our students. We don't spar on a particular day, any ole time is good, and it gets those in that don't want to come in on a regular day for it. Are you teaching private lessons at all, that really helps for retention as well? Spice up the sparring with some music, it helped my class when I had a studio. I've found that never knowing what the people are going to be doing in a particular class always keeps the surprise a great retention tool as well so I changed it up everyday for my students.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Klondike93

How do you play kenpo twister?

:asian:

Kinda hard to describe but it's the ultimate Gaseous Expansion drill you can do. All the Brown and BB's down here in Pasadena love it at our studio. Dave Thompson showed it to me many years ago when he came to visit my studio and I've been stuck on it ever since. It's just that damn cool.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde:cool: :cool:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The variable expansion twister may be the rythme sparring I have been talking about. Got it from Dave Thompson in the mid 90's and loved it. Is it the alternating partners with multiple strikes, gets to be a larger and larger number as belt ranks get higher???? Then it really gets interesting with multiple attackers - or allowing the opponent to initiate the attack before you counter and expand.

We also did an expansion drill where in a technique line the first person intitiated a move, second person had to do first person's move + one of their own; then 3rd person repeats first and second man's moves and adds yet another. I was in a line with Bob Liles, Dave Thompson and some others, and we were rockin' and rollin'. Great fun.

Please share as it might spark some instructors to inspire their classes.

Thanks,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

K

Kirk

I believe that in my school if people didn't want to do something
the instructor felt was important ... he'd make you do it on a belt
test. Maybe not for pass or fail, but you'd still do it. He's made
threats! heheheh

K

Kirk

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Actually,

I'm surprised she didn't ask you what's wrong your hands and feet...you can make your own plate. Also your a pretty picky house guest (but hey my grandpa was the same way, viejo) ... :rofl:

As far as Kirk doing the dishes, skip West VA and we'll just stay here in good ole Tejas and have some TexMex over on Babcock and get served...

jb:asian:

You got that right! :)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks all for replying..

There's some good ideas in here and I appreciate all.. the Games are good for breaking up monotony.. we have fridays as our 'fun' night.. one friday we went nuts and broke out the bubbles.. the kids had a great time as the floor fan blew the bubbles all over and they could only use kicks to break them, then tecs were brought into play.. kinda messy but it dried fast: just had to be careful not to get too many around and have people slip.

doing pyramid pushups is also good.. when we have a guest instructor come in, I like it when they lead warmups.. we get a good taste of how things are done elsewhere in other styles.

Before we went to AK we were pretty much all working on the same material and I think some miss that.. now it's broken down to belt level and the students are clustered with their own ranks.
Which tends to segregate all. I would like to find a way around that.

Tess

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is so much material to go over that you can still keep organization of the class yet on a daily basis vary the material, including basic warm ups and basic movements.

I think this keeps the class from monotony and alive. If you get too redundant it is not good.

There are various ways of going over material such as for power some nights or just perfect form on others....... yet others jump around with formats..... have fun and keep it alive.

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Thanks all for replying..

There's some good ideas in here and I appreciate all.. the Games are good for breaking up monotony.. we have fridays as our 'fun' night.. one friday we went nuts and broke out the bubbles.. the kids had a great time as the floor fan blew the bubbles all over and they could only use kicks to break them, then tecs were brought into play.. kinda messy but it dried fast: just had to be careful not to get too many around and have people slip.

doing pyramid pushups is also good.. when we have a guest instructor come in, I like it when they lead warmups.. we get a good taste of how things are done elsewhere in other styles.

Before we went to AK we were pretty much all working on the same material and I think some miss that.. now it's broken down to belt level and the students are clustered with their own ranks.
Which tends to segregate all. I would like to find a way around that.

Tess

I don't want thanks,I want dinner! Like NOW!:soapbox:

S

Stick Dummy

Mistah Castillo After Tessmania reads that one, it'll be a WV "applesauce" diet methinks........:rofl:

O'Course the buffet meals at Seigs school begins with a lesson in how to use "chopsticks"

Have a greeaaaaaaaaaat day

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Mistah Castillo After Tessmania reads that one, it'll be a WV "applesauce" diet methinks........:rofl:

O'Course the buffet meals at Seigs school begins with a lesson in how to use "chopsticks"

Have a greeaaaaaaaaaat day

Chopsticks with applesauce? If I can accomplish that, then I deserve the title of Master Rank!:D

Latest Discussions