Praise your art here!

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let this thread be the one place where you can talk about how awesome your martial art is!

Me, I praise Judo! I've never studied it formally YET, but I've applied it in real life.

One time, a younger punk tried to fight me, but I used my Judo knowledge to stop the fight before it even happened. What happened was, he puffed up his chest and stepped forward, to where his face was an inch away from mine. He was taller and heavier too.

An impulsive pugilist would've thrown a hook unto the vulnerable jaw, but with legal repercussions. But my natural impulse, instead of punching, was to throw him off balance. So I pushed him away and he was thrown away for ten feet. Mission success! I defended myself yet no one get hurt. True self-defense!

Yet, you can't deny the combat-effectiveness of Judo considering how it was derived from Samurai warriors. Chokes and joint-locks can truly hurt, even kill, an opponent!

And my favorite part about it is the fact that it's incredibly complementary to strong people like me. Strong people find it easier to disrupt the enemy's center of gravity by simply forcing it away. It takes a well-trained grappler to resist a stronger opponent.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Er… huh? How can you "praise" an art you've never trained in? Actually, scratch that… how on earth can you USE an art you've never studied??? Of course, there's a lot of misunderstanding in your post about what Judo actually is, for the record…

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An impulsive pugilist would've thrown a hook unto the vulnerable jaw, but with legal repercussions.
Perhaps in your country there would have been legal repercussion, but not in mine.

You have to be careful saying things like that as you can falsely give people the impression the law does not allow them to strike pre-emptively, meaning they will wait until they are in greater danger before they act for fear of legal reprisals.

Perhaps the law in your area doe not allow you to strike pre-emptively, which is fine, but bear in mind different coutures have different laws. So it wound be prudent to be aware of that, and make the distinction when you post, before you make sweeping blanket statements about the law.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An impulsive pugilist would've thrown a hook unto the vulnerable jaw, but with legal repercussions. But my natural impulse, instead of punching, was to throw him off balance. So I pushed him away and he was thrown away for ten feet. Mission success! I defended myself yet no one get hurt. True self-defense!

Lucky. If the fella had landed badly, you could have been in serious doo doo.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A heavy jab more like. I do agree though, a impulsive person is not really going to be perturbed by the law, because what you have posted sounds like a glory shot type thing.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let this thread be the one place where you can talk about how awesome your martial art is!

Me, I praise Judo! I've never studied it formally YET, but I've applied it in real life.

One time, a younger punk tried to fight me, but I used my Judo knowledge to stop the fight before it even happened. What happened was, he puffed up his chest and stepped forward, to where his face was an inch away from mine. He was taller and heavier too.

Yet, you can't deny the combat-effectiveness of Judo considering how it was derived from Samurai warriors. Chokes and joint-locks can truly hurt, even kill, an opponent!

And my favorite part about it is the fact that it's incredibly complementary to strong people like me. Strong people find it easier to disrupt the enemy's center of gravity by simply forcing it away. It takes a well-trained grappler to resist a stronger opponent.

Thanks, great post!! Has had me laughing most of the morning and really cheered up my day. Total madness.

But you are of course right, a strong guy who is able to push people away from him can only be defeated by trained grapplers of the highest level (only grapplers mind, bjj guys won't be able to handle this kind of defence unless they too are incredibly strong). I trained in judo for several years but unfortunately never got to that level where the art focuses on the samurai techniques of simply shoving people out of the way.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So ... some guy got up in your face and you shoved him away?

I'm glad you avoided a fight, but that really doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with judo.

OP
B

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So ... some guy got up in your face and you shoved him away?

I'm glad you avoided a fight, but that really doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with judo.

Yes it does. It's called somethingsomething Waza. It's about unbalancing an opponent.

Like, I'd push him, and if he decided to be aggressive and charge, he'll be more vulnerable to throws.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin was help to mend a mill
In time o'need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckles as wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
His nieve a nit;
Thro' blody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, wing chun-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll mak it whissle;
An' legs an' arms, an' hands will sned,
Like taps o' trissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
Gie her a wing chun!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it does. It's called somethingsomething Waza. It's about unbalancing an opponent.

Like, I'd push him, and if he decided to be aggressive and charge, he'll be more vulnerable to throws.

No, it doesn't. Piece of friendly advice here, don't argue with people who actually know what they're talking about… nothing you've described is really anything to do with judo at all.

As far as your claim, waza simply means "technique", so for something to be "something something waza" doesn't really mean anything… and the way the term is used in judo is for groupings of like techniques (te-waza for techniques focusing on using the hands, ashi-waza for those focusing on the feet, and so on). Unbalancing an opponent is called kuzushi, and is simply one of the four major components of any throw… but is really not what you did, or anything like what you've described. When judo does use a "push" action to create an opening for a throw, it's done from a kumi-uchi close grip, not an open handed shove (which removes the ability for you to actually apply judo methodology).

In other words… no. Nothing you've said, shown, or done has anything to do with judo at all… hence my earlier post.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing you've said, shown, or done has anything to do with judo at all… hence my earlier post.

Well at least he mentions Judo even if he's got it wrong, I'm not at all sure how we got to haggis! Burns Night was a couple of weeks ago! :confused:

Latest Discussions