Practical approach to achieving splits

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok its like this i got the video off youtube and it seems to be a practical approach for flexibility. I have done the research and well aware that it works or will at least result in a significant improvement of flexibility, for results may actually vary from person to person. Now if you do not believe in it fine with me if not then fine with me too, but commenting that it is "hogwash" is disrespectful.

If you don't like it just say so, if you have something to add or have a concern just say so. Oh by the way this method is not recommended for those who are 15 years old below, and you must warm up at least 5 minutes before you do these. If it is your first time, do not contract or pinch the floor at maximum effort or do it for the whole 30 seconds, 10 seconds will do for starters, listen to your body. Best done on alternating days. This in itself is already a work out.

Thank you for the good comments and for the others thank you too.

Sincere apologies for any disrespect.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Apology accepted, the book is isometric srtretching by thomasz kurz, stadion enterprises.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. He has a number of books an blog posts on the topic. He is also frequently available online for Q and A sessions.

Just had a glance through, but will have a better look later. Seems like a bit of an evangelist on it as it were.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is. He has a number of books an blog posts on the topic. He is also frequently available online for Q and A sessions.
Just had a quick look and saw on the video "...whatever your age or flexibility level. In just a few weeks you'll perform splits..."

This is the type of "splits in x days" promises that I mentioned in a post above and disagree with.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He is a bit of an evangelist, he writes with the confidence of a much younger man, and his claims are somewhat misleading in my experience. Although his methods usually bring improvement, I agree with GLD that setting a time limit on it is nonsense because everyone is different.

Pavel Tsatsouline also has some great stuff on stretching.

My experience is, regardless of how much you research or read, there is nothing as effective as a regular daily routine and listening to what your body is telling you.

Also for higher kicking and deeper stances, understanding posture is just as important as great flexibility.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
+1 for Stretching Scientifically. A poster recommended it to me on another forum a few years ago and I have used it to build my own personal stretching schedule - which does involve some PNF.
I've always struggled a bit with my flexibility and it'll come as no surprise that I have to work pretty hard at it, consistently, to be able to kick at my head height in sparring. Problem is, my height is a little lower than average so I need to get more flexible in order to kick at their head height!

My stretching plan is as follows:

Dynamic Stretching twice per day (once in the morning and then again before training)

Relaxed stretching after training twice per week

PNF stretching after training twice per week

I'd recommend it, and I get some pretty good results for what I'm looking for but I'm not great to sticking to it every day for much longer than 2 - 3 weeks at a time. If I did that then I'd imagine the results would be better.

For kicks as good as you'd expect from a TKD practitioner, you'd probably want to work on some static-active stuff too.

They say that static flexibility isn't as important as dynamic flexibility for kicking, and whilst that may be true, I find my kicks are much better when I work on static stretches every week too.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did say listen to your body right? And their methods do work right? Nowhere did i say that you just sit there and magically you will be able to do it? Did i say anything like that? Oh yes the title of the book is stretching scientifically. Sorry that one i admit my mistake.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did say listen to your body right? And their methods do work right? Nowhere did i say that you just sit there and magically you will be able to do it? Did i say anything like that? Oh yes the title of the book is stretching scientifically. Sorry that one i admit my mistake.
You didn't say it, but the video implied it. We're offering constructive opinions on the video and other people's material on stretching. You seem a little defensive, nobody is attacking you here.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you had one Easter egg too many today?

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is why i clarfied my point. Anyway I said what wanted to say already.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons I think people should actually try what is in the videos they post is so they can tell people honestly that it works...or not. A personal recommendation helps people decide on the efficacy of what is being suggested. It gives the poster of the video credibility if he can say he's actually tried it. No one however is attacking you, comments are all on the video.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
And i hope before the next guy fires off any more comments is that they at least try it and then say what they want to say based on experience and not ignorance. Just saying.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay. Let's start again. Based on my forty+ years of experience in fighting arts, thirty+ years of experience in PNF stretching, five years experience in a Physical Therapy unit, and although not my main style, having earned a 4th Dan in Tae-kwon-do many years ago, I say HOGWASH - that comment, the dreaded H word, is directed explicitly towards the title of the video, not the forum thread, and in no way whatsoever is meant as a reflection of the knowledge, experience or intent of the person who posted it. (Thanks, by the way.)

And, bro, we're all on your side here. Honest. Just saying. ( I wanted to put a smiley face here, but figured if I did it might be misinterpreted, so......no smiley face. )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And i hope before the next guy fires off any more comments is that they at least try it and then say what they want to say based on experience and not ignorance. Just saying.

Did you actually try the stuff from the video? If so tell us how it works, if not you can't sound off at others.