Locks for SD?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a vid of someone defending himself with a wrist/arm lock and take down. Here is what the OP of this vid George Bell had to say about wrist and locks for SD.
Some people that are not informed about self defense or have a narrow concept of self defense think wrist locks do not work! But on the contrary, in what we call the pre-fight stage of a confrontation with Modern MooSaDo wrist locks are highly effective. This was executed very well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think people are claiming judo on that one.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I generally agree with what was said in the op, wrist locks are best applied to a prefight scenario and for LEOs and security personnel. Hunting for a wrist lock with punches coming at your face is a bad idea. I've successfully used a wrist lock before in a bar situation that got a little harry, it was also a prefight situation and it was probably the best solution for the situation I was in. If you're going for a wrist lock or standing grappling during a fight though, you'd better put it on hard and fast and use the element of surprise, I find they're hard to control an actively resisting or trained opponent with safely.

With the above being said about wrist locks. The quote in the op seems way off, and the video isn't evidence for the utility of wrist locks. The video appears to show a judo throw (although many arts use similiar throws) and the defender is controlling the aggressor's bicep/arm not the wrist.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a vid of someone defending himself with a wrist/arm lock and take down. Here is what the OP of this vid George Bell had to say about wrist and locks for SD.

"But on the contrary, in what we call the pre-fight stage of a confrontation with Modern MooSaDo wrist locks are highly effective."
"Pre-fight"??
The instant one has intercepted and applied preemption, as in this video example the wristlock, you are fighting. The pre-fight is what happen prior to that moment, the wrist lock is fighting. The fight may not last very long but it was in an instant a physical confrontation.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It certainly has the look of being staged, either that or the antagonist is a bit wimpy because that shoulder push was a bit wet. :)

It also seemed to be filmed from start to finish (rather than from the middle, as it might be in a real fight). Hard to tell. Either real or fake are both likely.

Latest Discussions