Practical approach to achieving splits

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for me the best way of achieving a split is to watch someone else do it smile, nod and walk away

At 20 it was n o problem at 40 it started to hurt at 60 it was not going to happen

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PNF is a great tool when applied correctly along with other stretching and strength building methods. Applied with passive knees as in the OP video, it's asking for a knee injury

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried it and you speak so harshly? And is thst the norm in your martial art gym to talk like that?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like Gnarlie, I'm not sure who the question was addressed to, nor how the term "harsh" applies. There was no offense meant, I'm sure. If it's in response to my use of the word "hogwash", perhaps there's some confusion.

Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation has been around since the 1940's. It's been used in fitness/sports training for many decades and is used in Physical Therapy regularly. I've been using it as one of many teaching tools concerning flexibility training in Martial Arts since the early eighties and also taught many aspects of it in a Physical Therapy Center. It works really well in the right circumstances.

But to allude to it in a "less than four months" time frame to achieve full splits is irresponsible at best. And if that time frame was used in my Martial Art Gym - yep, there would be cries of Hogwash, even from the peanut gallery. But the use of hogwash would be nonsensical, just as the time frame is. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
for me the best way of achieving a split is to watch someone else do it smile, nod and walk away

At 20 it was n o problem at 40 it started to hurt at 60 it was not going to happen

One thing no one told me, for those north of 40 is that there can be a calcification buildup or joint deterioration that limits range of motion. Attempting to increase the range only jams the surfaces of the bones harder together. Absent surgery this cannot be rectified, and often the surgery involves removing some parts and replacing with artificail ones that may have limitations although watching Bill Wallace, you know that great things can still be possible.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But to allude to it in a "less than four months" time frame to achieve full splits is irresponsible at best. And if that time frame was used in my Martial Art Gym - yep, there would be cries of Hogwash, even from the peanut gallery.

I think of the splits in the same light as bench pressing 250 pounds. Some can do it with no training, others will never be able to do it, and perhaps a good percentage could do it with months/years of training. But the "full splits in x days!" is selling a dream, IMO.

Scotty P

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been stretching regularly, pretty much every other day for a few years now with little gain and I'm frustrated. I'm 52 now so I'm sure age has something to do with it but I'm still determined to gain flexibility. I'm going to give this a shot and hope it helps.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think of the splits in the same light as bench pressing 250 pounds. Some can do it with no training, others will never be able to do it, and perhaps a good percentage could do it with months/years of training. But the "full splits in x days!" is selling a dream, IMO.

I agree. For those interested in PNF along with strength training Tom Kurz's 'Stretching Scientifically' and Sang Hanho Kim's 'Ultimate Flexibility' are a great start. Some of the advice in the OP video is potentially dangerous, and I would suggest doing your own research into balanced stretching and strength routines to prevent setting yourself back months in training through injury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I couldn't do the splits as a child never mind as an adult, my daughter just went down into splits easily as a child and can still do it at 29. I can't say it's ever hampered me not being to do the splits, I don't think about it until something like the OP.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't do the splits as a child never mind as an adult, my daughter just went down into splits easily as a child and can still do it at 29. I can't say it's ever hampered me not being to do the splits, I don't think about it until something like the OP.

Never knew why it mattered anyway. A gymnast yes :)

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok its like this i got the video off youtube and it seems to be a practical approach for flexibility. I have done the research and well aware that it works or will at least result in a significant improvement of flexibility, for results may actually vary from person to person. Now if you do not believe in it fine with me if not then fine with me too, but commenting that it is "hogwash" is disrespectful.

If you don't like it just say so, if you have something to add or have a concern just say so. Oh by the way this method is not recommended for those who are 15 years old below, and you must warm up at least 5 minutes before you do these. If it is your first time, do not contract or pinch the floor at maximum effort or do it for the whole 30 seconds, 10 seconds will do for starters, listen to your body. Best done on alternating days. This in itself is already a work out.

Thank you for the good comments and for the others thank you too.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok its like this i got the video off youtube and it seems to be a practical approach for flexibility. I have done the research and well aware that it works or will at least result in a significant improvement of flexibility, for results may actually vary from person to person. Now if you do not believe in it fine with me if not then fine with me too, but commenting that it is "hogwash" is disrespectful.

If you don't like it just say so, if you have something to add or have a concern just say so. Oh by the way this method is not recommended for those who are 15 years old below, and you must warm up at least 5 minutes before you do these. If it is your first time, do not contract or pinch the floor at maximum effort or do it for the whole 30 seconds, 10 seconds will do for starters, listen to your body. Best done on alternating days. This in itself is already a work out.

Thank you for the good comments and for the others thank you too.

You've tried this from the video not anything else and it works within the timeframe given?

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Way before this video i had a book and video about isometric stretching, still have it now, took me around three months following the method there. Full side and front splits then. When I saw this i just thought that this was a more practcal application of the same method:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way before this video i had a book and video about isometric stretching, still have it now, took me around three months following the method there. Full side and front splits then. When I saw this i just thought that this was a more practcal application of the same method:)

You may need to actually try it before recommending it though!

Latest Discussions