Power or agility

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not have both? Power dosnt mean slow.

OP
Lottatore italiano

Lottatore italiano

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, of course you both are right, he's powerful, too.

What I actually meant is that I didn't expect to see a slim man competing in a sumo tournament, and I didn't expect him to use such a technique. Usually I imagine sumo as a sport for “heavy-heavy weight” fighters. So before watching the video I thought the bigger, “sumo-sized” wrestler would push the “undersized” one out of the dojo; actually, he pushed himself out. I simply wanted to point out the strategic device used by the “little boy” to avoid the collision. And I have to say he achieved. Maybe bumping into the big rikishi wouldn't be so effective; the dodging action looks appropriate and unexpected, so it is amazing too.

I hope it's clearer now.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot more to sumo than many people realize... watch matches closely, and you'll recognize elements in common with judo, jujitsu, and striking styles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, of course you both are right, he's powerful, too.

What I actually meant is that I didn't expect to see a slim man competing in a sumo tournament, and I didn't expect him to use such a technique. Usually I imagine sumo as a sport for “heavy-heavy weight” fighters. So before watching the video I thought the bigger, “sumo-sized” wrestler would push the “undersized” one out of the dojo; actually, he pushed himself out. I simply wanted to point out the strategic device used by the “little boy” to avoid the collision. And I have to say he achieved. Maybe bumping into the big rikishi wouldn't be so effective; the dodging action looks appropriate and unexpected, so it is amazing too.

I hope it's clearer now.
His performance is one of "fighting smarter". Thanks for sharing the video. I never knew he existed so I gain something valuable to day as I'm a little less ignorant than I was the day before.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You need strength to move quickly and explosively, and you need speed and agility to bring strength to bear...

I'd say it's not even a question of "why not have both," but rather that you need one to have the other.

Latest Discussions