Post your lineage to GM Hwang Kee

Discussion in 'Tang Soo Do' started by TSDTexan, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Drew Ahn-Kim

Drew Ahn-Kim Yellow Belt

thanks TSD, glad I found this forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush Master of Arts

Do you know if the above mentioned "Jong Soo Hong" is the same person listed as Chong Soo HONG, one of the Moo Duk Kwan three senior ranks who led the support of the unification process in 1965?

3. reeskm

reeskm Green Belt

I sincerely hope Drew will be able to confirm this for us - but I am quite suire it is one and the same. "Jong" and "Chong" should be for the same hangul. Jong is probably newer romanization.

And Drew - is your grandfather Kyongwon Ahn? Wow, now that is something pretty special. Is he still well? I hope so.

4. reeskm

reeskm Green Belt

For years I've grappled with the subject of where MDK techniques came from. I am not yet willing to believe that Hwang Kee learned it from a specific person.

TSDTexan, I agree with you that there is a very definite Shudokan similarity. I have long ago rejected the idea that there is only a Shotokan connection. It is way more complex than that.

However, I am fairly certain that the link between Hwang and Yamaguchi was completely without merit and discredited. AFAIK - the only link was that they met when they both joined the AKF/FAJKO movement in the 60's (which deepened when it morphed into the WUKO charter in 1970).

My current theory is that it is more plausible that Hwang learned karate from someone in Seoul pre-1945 or from someone in Manchuria while he was with the railway. Possible people on my list to look into that were in Manchuria with the SMR currently include Hiroshi Kinjo and Kori Hisataka aka Seiki Kudaka.

5. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master Black Belt

The mystery is deep and great. And the 1950s (and forward) anti Japanese sentiment has done much to destroy history as anything. We won't have facts of any sort that are pure and held without being scornfully suspect.

We will have half prices and conjecture.

6. SahBumNimRush

I suspected as much.

Drew did state that Kyongwon AHN is his grandfather. An impressive lineage, indeed! My KJN and GM AHN were childhood friends, and it was that relationship that landed my KJN in WV (not far away from GM AHN in Cincinatti, OH).

• Like Like x 1
  7. SahBumNimRush

I suspected as much.

Drew did state that Kyongwon AHN is his grandfather. My KJN and GM AHN were childhood friends. It was that relationship that brought my KJN to WV (not far away from GM AHN in Cincinatti, OH).

• Like Like x 1
  8. reeskm

reeskm Green Belt

Yeah, I know. :( But sooner or later, someone is bound to understand why all of us are so interested. I still hold out hope that there is possibility of getting somewhere! In the end, understanding this is not a matter of whether Japanese, Okinawan or Korean martial arts is better than the other but instead to understand who we all are as martial artists, and to understand history and all the postiive and negative that goes with it. :shamefullyembarrased:

9. reeve87

reeve87 White Belt

Hwang kee
    sarbonnim hedges (head of uk mdk)
    master salter
    peter reeve (me) Dan bon 48870
    cant remember hedges or salters Dan bon off the top of my head