Plyometrics

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm considering adding plyometrics to my workout routine, but don't have a set routine for it. I don't want to attempt making my own, since it is high-impact and I don't like risking my body (or knees) pointlessly. Does anyone have a plyometric workout they follow/used to follow that works/worked well?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem putting one together for you, done a lot of plyometric training over the years. And a lot of it doesn't necessarily have to be high-impact.

Any particular goals in mind?

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Primarily increase explosive leg strength. I had a really fast in step and footwork in general as a result of fencing 10-20 hours a week for 4 years, but finding now that a year later a lot of that speed it gone, so trying to find a way to get it back.

Thanks!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is part of ours.

30 punches.
Two frog jumps
Two tuck jumps
Sprint to the end of the room.

Bear crawl back.

Hopping
One hop.
One stomp.
One tuck jump hop.

One leg up.
The other leg beck.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is part of ours.

30 punches.
Two frog jumps
Two tuck jumps
Sprint to the end of the room.

Bear crawl back.

Hopping
One hop.
One stomp.
One tuck jump hop.

One leg up.
The other leg beck.
Thanks! I will do this for now.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kempodisciple, how are your knees?
What kind of shape is your core in? What core exercises do you already do?
What's your age?
How many days a week do you train?

It's always best to be honestly realistic when discussing what kind of shape particular parts of the body are in, because, as I'm sure you know, most Martial Artists are nuts.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My knees are not in the best shape. Specifically my left one has been giving me issues lately. If I have to bend it to fast I can feel some sort of 'pop'
My core is decent. I currently do a light (10-15 minute) core workout each day that involves leg lifts/circles, planking, crunches and twists with a 12 pound medicine ball. However, I likely should up that since haven't really been feeling much from it lately.
I am 22.
I train MA 3 times a week. I do the light core workout I mentioned every day when I get up, and work out 3 days a week for an hour (the 3 days besides sunday I don't go to the dojo). Don't have high explosive strength though, as most of my workout is focused around stamina/cardio.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eagerly awaiting Buka's reply as I would like to do some more plyometrics and have a bummy left knee as well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kempodesciple and Flatfish, you really shouldn't be adding anything to your work load with a less than healthy knee. Especially any pylometric exercises.

And you should take some steps to find out exactly what's going on with your knees. Being sore is one thing, being injured is completely different. Do you guys have any insurance, can you get them examined by a doctor, get an MRI or go see a Physical Therapist? There's a lot of help out there if you know what you're doing, or know someone you trust who can guide you in your area.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kempodesciple and Flatfish, you really shouldn't be adding anything to your work load with a less than healthy knee. Especially any pylometric exercises.

And you should take some steps to find out exactly what's going on with your knees. Being sore is one thing, being injured is completely different. Do you guys have any insurance, can you get them examined by a doctor, get an MRI or go see a Physical Therapist? There's a lot of help out there if you know what you're doing, or know someone you trust who can guide you in your area.
I am aware of the issue with my knee and have already got it examined. It is a result of lunging improperly with my left side for a year before knowing my form was off. I did go to a PT and for the most part it does not effect me, except for when I do squats too quickly, or kick too quickly without chambering correctly.

Would there be something else that you would suggest besides plyometrics that I could do to improve explosive leg strength, without weights?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
PT said there's nothing wrong with the joint itself. My muscles and ligaments and whatever other bits are getting too tight and that puts pressure on the joint and causes pain. I have learned how to control it with lots of stretching, foam rolling, massage etc but there are some activities that I have learned to avoid. Thankfully that includes running :) but I also had to give up heavy squats and am generally careful with leg exercises.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recommend some good ole fashion stance training for those knees. You don't need to have a super low stance to get those tendons and ligaments in your knee in shape. I used to have really bad knees. One of the students in my Tai Chi class back then is Indian Doctor and he was able to fix my knees. I forgot what medicine he practices but it's a traditional medicine and not modern. He told me that my muscle tendon was out of place which was why my knees were hurting so bad. It took him a little more than 10 minutes to move the tendon back where it was supposed to be and my knees have been excellent every since then. I was so glad it didn't require surgery.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recommend some good ole fashion stance training for those knees. You don't need to have a super low stance to get those tendons and ligaments in your knee in shape. I used to have really bad knees. One of the students in my Tai Chi class back then is Indian Doctor and he was able to fix my knees. I forgot what medicine he practices but it's a traditional medicine and not modern. He told me that my muscle tendon was out of place which was why my knees were hurting so bad. It took him a little more than 10 minutes to move the tendon back where it was supposed to be and my knees have been excellent every since then. I was so glad it didn't require surgery.

Hmmm, if he ever intends to travel to NC, let me know and I'll send you my phone number. I'm working quite a bit on my knee according to what my PT folks told me. Like I said I have it under control most of the time but my knee does flare up depending on what I ask of it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am aware of the issue with my knee and have already got it examined. It is a result of lunging improperly with my left side for a year before knowing my form was off. I did go to a PT and for the most part it does not effect me, except for when I do squats too quickly, or kick too quickly without chambering correctly.

Would there be something else that you would suggest besides plyometrics that I could do to improve explosive leg strength, without weights?

Was the knee drifting inwards during the lunges?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
PT said there's nothing wrong with the joint itself. My muscles and ligaments and whatever other bits are getting too tight and that puts pressure on the joint and causes pain. I have learned how to control it with lots of stretching, foam rolling, massage etc but there are some activities that I have learned to avoid. Thankfully that includes running :) but I also had to give up heavy squats and am generally careful with leg exercises.

Has the knee significantly improved with no running and no heavy squats?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep your feet together back up and arms straight during the frog jumps.

Should ease the stress off the knees a bit.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
P90X has a good Plyometrics section.
I love the p90x plyo workouts. I think the first time I tried it I didn't even finish it. Now, if I haven't done it in awhile, I can't walk right for a day or two.

Other great plyo routines are burpees, double jump jump-rope, box jumps. These are specifically for legs. You can use the plyo concept for other workouts such as plyo push-ups.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has the knee significantly improved with no running and no heavy squats?

Yeah, so I stopped running and did my therapy thingy and it got a lot better, to the point where I felt it was almost back to normal. So I started squatting again. Front squats with moderate weight only and going real slow with adding more weight. Felt it getting a bit worse and then one day it started to hurt just as bad as before therapy. Stopped squatting and it took me about four weeks to get better. Been doing TKD all along the way though with brace support during sparring and bag work.

Latest Discussions