Day 1 of My Martial Arts Return - Rehab 206 lbs

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took it easy. I need to lose 30 lbs and just need to get back into shape. Very low impact and slow movement "grand pa" speed.. I lasted 30 minutes before I could feel my back. My knees ache and I can hear the tendons and fluid move, when I did my high squats. History has taught me to take it easy, get the rehab in and don't rush. It's going to be slow until I knock off the rust.

Did plyometric exercises from an old P90x dvd that I have. I modified the exercises to for the purpose of:
1. matching my fitness level (lack of) and flexibility (lack of).
2. matching my injury (back)
3. matching my martial arts system and fighting style.

I broke a little sweat but more so because of the room keeping in some heat and restricted airflow. Not disappointed but satisfied because I'm on the path. I may have about 2 or 3 months of this if I do it only once a day. I may be able to decrease the estimated rehab time by doing it twice a day. We'll see how the body goes.

Opened the Dit Da Jow and put on my knees just in case.

Making the best of the situation
By the time it's over I should have a really good set of rehab, "Senior:, and beginner exercises for someone who is out of shape and over-weight. Oh I should also have a very good workout soundtrack. Normally I don't listen to music when I workout, but I'll make an exception for this one otherwise I know I'll get bored.

I weighed myself today before working out, before eating dinner and I"m at 206 lbs.

Currently my diet is crap so I'll have to change that starting tomorrow morning. I think I can reduce my drinks to 1 sugary drink a day and increase my water intake. My wife is happy I'm getting back into Martial arts. I'll see if I can post a video of the exercises I'm doing so you guys aren't just reading stuff.

Not sure what I'm going to do for cardio yet. Maybe just walk in the morning nothing to serious. Just a brisk walk for short distances.

Biggest challenge is going to be sleep and getting enough of it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sleep is a must. Walking is good, doesn't have to be TOO brisk, just put in the time.

We're with you, bro.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good start. Rehab is always harder to me than hard exercise - it just never feels like I"m accomplishing much, so I get bored and frustrated. Don't let that seduce you into overdoing it or not doing it.

You got this. Just remember, if you don't get yourself back in shape, you don't get to beat me up.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I took it easy. I need to lose 30 lbs and just need to get back into shape. Very low impact and slow movement "grand pa" speed.. I lasted 30 minutes before I could feel my back. My knees ache and I can hear the tendons and fluid move, when I did my high squats. History has taught me to take it easy, get the rehab in and don't rush. It's going to be slow until I knock off the rust.

Did plyometric exercises from an old P90x dvd that I have. I modified the exercises to for the purpose of:
1. matching my fitness level (lack of) and flexibility (lack of).
2. matching my injury (back)
3. matching my martial arts system and fighting style.

I broke a little sweat but more so because of the room keeping in some heat and restricted airflow. Not disappointed but satisfied because I'm on the path. I may have about 2 or 3 months of this if I do it only once a day. I may be able to decrease the estimated rehab time by doing it twice a day. We'll see how the body goes.

Opened the Dit Da Jow and put on my knees just in case.

Making the best of the situation
By the time it's over I should have a really good set of rehab, "Senior:, and beginner exercises for someone who is out of shape and over-weight. Oh I should also have a very good workout soundtrack. Normally I don't listen to music when I workout, but I'll make an exception for this one otherwise I know I'll get bored.

I weighed myself today before working out, before eating dinner and I"m at 206 lbs.

Currently my diet is crap so I'll have to change that starting tomorrow morning. I think I can reduce my drinks to 1 sugary drink a day and increase my water intake. My wife is happy I'm getting back into Martial arts. I'll see if I can post a video of the exercises I'm doing so you guys aren't just reading stuff.

Not sure what I'm going to do for cardio yet. Maybe just walk in the morning nothing to serious. Just a brisk walk for short distances.

Biggest challenge is going to be sleep and getting enough of it.

we're in the same boat, and we need to lose pretty much the same amount of weight, and I to am starting back. Trying to get the eating under control and working to get back to my mostly vegetarian ways. Cardio, wish I could help, but coming back from knee surgery with the opposite hip being rather arthritic, I'm struggling with that one too.

I am finding my biggest issue is motivation and tat what was once my greatest ally for taking a break, is now my greatest enemy. First time I have regretted buying that big leather recliner.

Also doing a lot of reading about working out when you're a geezer as posed to when you are not. There are differences. Strength training is 2, no more than 3 nights a week and it is better to work with muscle groups and not isolations. But I was never a big fan of isolations anyway.

Good luck on the rehab road, it is not always fun, but I guess we need to follow it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m sorry, may I ask what was your injury?
Lifting garden bags of soil incorrectly and a weak back. My arms around stronger than my back so I thought I was fine. First injury felt like I got punched in the kidney. Long story short. I tried to bounce back too soon. My body felt good and I thought the injury healed. But I was wrong. Lifted a smaller bag and injured it again.

I think my bed is responsible to since the last time I had problems like this was because of the matress.

I don't lift soil anymore or anything else until I can strengthen my core. But first rehab and some weight loss

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good start. Rehab is always harder to me than hard exercise - it just never feels like I"m accomplishing much, so I get bored and frustrated. Don't let that seduce you into overdoing it or not doing it.

You got this. Just remember, if you don't get yourself back in shape, you don't get to beat me up.
I'll enjoy the slow journey. I'll create some new training exercises. Maybe someone else can use them when they are going through rehab. Of course with doctor's permission

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll enjoy the slow journey. I'll create some new training exercises. Maybe someone else can use them when they are going through rehab. Of course with doctor's permission
Oh forgot to mention. Office chair at home is no good for my back and hip. My job has a lot of sitting so my back is getting punished. working on correcting that. I have some big but necessary purchases coming up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we're in the same boat, and we need to lose pretty much the same amount of weight, and I too am starting back. Trying to get the eating under control and working to get back to my mostly vegetarian ways....

What? How did we all get 30 lbs. overweight with bad backs? Not to mention the crappy diets.

BTW I found the easy solution to that last part. My wife has gone vegetarian and likes to cook. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What? How did we all get 30 lbs. overweight with bad backs? Not to mention the crappy diets.

BTW I found the easy solution to that last part. My wife has gone vegetarian and likes to cook. :)

HEY!!!!!! mine is hips and knees...not back :D

Vegetarian is a good way to get rid of it. When I was one, I was healthy

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great to hear from you. Not great to hear you are going through rehab. I am certain you have this.