Plyometrics

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should check with your instructors, doctors, trainers and therapists before doing any of these. I know you guys know that. I mean, I can hear the conversation a month from now, "Why did you do those exercises?" Oh, some guy on the internet said they were okay!"
Some guy you don't know and never met. I could be a twelve year old fat girl for all you know.

I was a Psychomotor Skills Design Instructor for the state of Massachusetts for many years. What's that? Beats me, but that's what it says on the certificate, something about teaching exercise - in person, not from miles away. And that's according to me, some guy on the internet.

Anyway, most athletes, when thinking about Plyometrics, usually picture those big jumps off a high box and immediately springing skyward.
But we're not talking about the big, high impact movements here, but smaller ones that are easier on the body and still produce good results for explosive spring in the legs and work your core as well. They can also be used in a cardio sense when you're used to doing them with GOOD FORM and do them in one, two or three minute intervals. They can be just plain nasty at times.

What I suggest is to be warmed up, then doing some knee tightening exercises first - like hamstring curls on a physio ball (with good form, with a straight back) Then try the exercises a little at a time, checking form, always checking form. Poor form not only leads to injury, it takes away the benefits of the exercise. Good or poor technique in exercise is the same as good or poor technique in Martial Arts.
And, most important, pay attention to those parts of your body that are injured or prone to injury from your past experiences - like your knees.

These are what I'd start with.

Lunge Jumps - if you can do them without your knee going past your toe line and there's no pain. And do NOT jump too high. Front foot landing should land heel to toe. Make sure the knee doesn't drift inwards during the lunge. Might be easier to check while doing in front of a mirror.

Quick Feet - Looks easy, but it's great for building spring in the legs, for footwork and for quick feet. Keep your heels up.
Look at their form. Her feet are in the better position, straight ahead, BUT her knees, especially her left knee, is drifting inwards, that's not good.

At the 1:45 minute mark, Low Squat Foot Switch. Stay relaxed and keep your core from swaying side to side.

For the following, or anything that has to do with planks - you have to keep your back straight. When the body tires it wants to cheat, usually by sagging down. If your body has to cheat, do it with your butt up high, not sagging low. Protects the back. I'm not saying to let your body cheat, but if it does, well, you know.

Plank to Squat. Keep those knees behind your toe line. If there's any knee discomfort, stop. Make sure you sit way back on your butt to keep the knees behind the toe line. That pause at the top of the squat usually ensures this.

Plank Jacks - Keep the back straight. Great ab workout. Builds the legs photometrically for the end part of kicks for a nice oomph.

Side Plank Hops (these always killed me)
Side to Side Plank Hop

Low Squat foot hops. A one inch hop. Keep your form...and swear a lot.
Low Squat Foot Jump

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should check with your instructors, doctors, trainers and therapists before doing any of these. I know you guys know that. I mean, I can hear the conversation a month from now, "Why did you do those exercises?" Oh, some guy on the internet said they were okay!"
As a paranoid person, who has a cousin that is a physical therapist, I've been bothering her before I try new exercises to see if she has any issue with them ever since the whole fencing lunge issue. She makes fun of me for it but oh well

Some guy you don't know and never met. I could be a twelve year old fat girl for all you know.
Are you saying 12 year old fat girls aren't Psychomotor Skills Design Instructor's? Hm, learn something new every day.

Seriously though, thank you! These look exactly like what I wanted, and none of them seem like they should cause me issues :)

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those. I am familiar with plank jacks and know that they don't cause me any issues. We have also done jumping lunges with weights in the dojang (without switching feet though) and those are ok but I do have to watch out for the knee drifting inward....funny enough the knee that wants to drift is not my bum knee.

I'll try some of the other ones soon

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images

By the way. If you have access to one of these. You can do your plyometrics with less impact.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those. I am familiar with plank jacks and know that they don't cause me any issues. We have also done jumping lunges with weights in the dojang (without switching feet though) and those are ok but I do have to watch out for the knee drifting inward....funny enough the knee that wants to drift is not my bum knee.

I'll try some of the other ones soon

Watch that bad boy. But, you can usually train that out of you if you're patient. You can do it with lunges in the mirror, using your palm against the inside of the knee (to keep it in line) as you drop into the lunge. Eight or so weeks and you'll notice a pretty good difference.

If you teach, or if you are friends with any female athletes/martial artists, watch out for that in them as well. It's a common cause of non contact knee/ACL problems in females, especially adolescent females because of hip structure.