Planning a free webinar next week - Need time zones.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm planning a free webinar next week for a live discussion about the oblique kick in which I will be analyzing a video that I recently posted stating that the defense against this kick is not accurate to how this kick is actually used.

A number of people say that I'm saying the kicking mechanics are incorrect, but I more issues about the defense and deployment of the kick. A kung fu guy can get perfect mechanics on a technique and still do incorrect deployment of a technique.

i have about 20 virtual seats for this but some of the seats are reserved..

I would definitely like the following to be able to attend for selfish reasons. They are good with understanding what one person is saying, and rewording it, so that others can understand.
1. Gpseymour
2. Tony Dismukes
3. KungFu Wang

I'm also would like other people who think I'm talking about 2 different kicks to attend. Not because I want to turn this into a "Your Right, I'm wrong " debate. I rather not go through "debates for the sake of debates" during a live discussion. I want this to be learning experience.

Next week I have some time off work so I'll have about 3 days of being able to hold the webinar at odd hours. If I have to.schedule more than one.

Sow with all of that said. What time zone are you in and what time would be the best time for you to attend a free webinar?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long of a session are you thinking of?

I’m here in Eastern Standard Time, but my available hours vary according to my training schedule.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eastern standard time but my schedule changes each week. I would like a seat assuming it ends up working with my work schedule.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How long of a session are you thinking of?

I’m here in Eastern Standard Time, but my available hours vary according to my training schedule.
I want to keep it within an hour total. Any more than that would be too much detail to share. Anything over an hour would be like lectures you'll give to someone who is training how to use this kick. I don't want to get into that much detail. Here's what I'm looking at.

15 minutes (at the most) worth of video analysis of "shane's Oblique video" and the issues I see.. I've already made an analysis video of it and it was less than 3 minutes (2:24) but that's without people asking me questions. I think with people asking question it's only going to take 15 minutes. Especially if you watch the "mechanics" video covering the kick. That video will actually make it easier to see what I'm looking at when I see "shane's Oblique video". Then you can compare what I say in the "mechanics of the kick" video with what you see when you see Jon Jones do the kick.

For the rest of the time I rather spend on a free discussion about this specific kick and answer questions or listen to how other people use the kick. I really want to find a time were we can talk vs typing with you guys even if I have to do 2 webinars. The days that I plan on doing are days that I have Paid Time Off. That way I can be flexible enough to where you won't feel like you are trying to cram something into your schedule.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I forgot about this website that's all about times and date.. This table is based on business meetings times of when people are at work, so I'm thinking a Weekend date may give more opportunities provided that no one has work on the weekend. I'm on the East coast. Dates I'm looking at are Saturday and Sunday Nov 1 and Nov 2.
upload_2019-10-20_23-13-27.png

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you also kick with the inside foot edge as a sweep?
Not against a rooted leg. If I sweep someone like that then I don't want their leg to be rooted. I also change turn the sole of my foot towards the target which changes the structure of my leg, so instead of swinging the leg like a golf club, it's more of a pulling motion. This is another technique that is easier for me to show on video than to explain it without a visual. So in all the technique helps to prevent side to side stress on my need as our knees don't bind side to side.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this a trolling thread? This guy can't be serious.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is this a trolling thread? This guy can't be serious.
Am I serious? Yeah I'm serious. I've know many of the people here for a while now and would like a chance to talk as a group vs typing. It's easy for concepts, and understanding of techniques to become lost by just typing. Often times tone in writing is lost and that causes friction as well.

I remember one day Gpseymour stated that how something sounds in my head is not the same way that it sound when people read what I type. It's not uncommon for many of us to spend numerous posts debating on to say in the end. "Oh now I see what you mean " My hope is that this weiner will allow the participants to better communicate martial arts techniques and understanding better.

It's not unrealistic to want this. Have you tried to learn martial arts from a book? Why should we expect people to understand what we mean when we type out how a technique works or how to apply it. For my own selfish reasons there are a lot good guys and gals here. While we can't meet for a beer at the same time. Maybe we can meet online and have coversation.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would we need a microphone on the computer to participate? I don't think I have one for my desktop. I could use my iPad if that works with whatever webinar software system you'd be using.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would we need a microphone on the computer to participate? I don't think I have one for my desktop. I could use my iPad if that works with whatever webinar software system you'd be using.
I'll be using webex so any device should work. IPad will work. Cell phone will work. But wouldn't be good for seeing something like a person with their heel slightly off the ground. No need for a webcam. The audio is VOIP; so thw "call" is free as long as the "call" is on a device that's connected to the home Internet or free WiFi.

A Bluetooth ear piece may work if you have one that you use for your phone. The small earphones with a mic that come with phones should work too. I've done that before on a PC. I assume it would work on an Apple Product.

Headsets cost around $10 on the low end.

If you use you IPad then you would need the Webex app. The name of the app is Cisco Webex Meetings

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it'd be interesting, but there's a couple of issues...

1st and 2nd of November are Friday and Saturday (not Saturday and Sunday).

That weekend is the end of my kids school holiday, so I'm likely tied up with them.

I'm a minimum of 5 hours shifted from most of you.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I serious? Yeah I'm serious. I've know many of the people here for a while now and would like a chance to talk as a group vs typing. It's easy for concepts, and understanding of techniques to become lost by just typing. Often times tone in writing is lost and that causes friction as well.

I remember one day Gpseymour stated that how something sounds in my head is not the same way that it sound when people read what I type. It's not uncommon for many of us to spend numerous posts debating on to say in the end. "Oh now I see what you mean " My hope is that this weiner will allow the participants to better communicate martial arts techniques and understanding better.

It's not unrealistic to want this. Have you tried to learn martial arts from a book? Why should we expect people to understand what we mean when we type out how a technique works or how to apply it. For my own selfish reasons there are a lot good guys and gals here. While we can't meet for a beer at the same time. Maybe we can meet online and have coversation.
Nah man, I don't mean the idea of showing off moves on cam or voice chat isn't fun or a good idea, but the context is a little surreal.

You made a thread talking about how you just can't check or sidestep an oblique kick. When people rightly mentioned that they can and do, you insisted that your jowga version is uncheckable though, and show a few vids of you doing a fairly standard wing Chun style no chamber oblique kick..which you can see coming from Texas because there is no chamber to mask it. Then you make 2 more threads insisting how unblockable and undodgable it is, because you only throw it when your opponents weight is forward, because apperantly you can read everyone's movements all the time and never miss a beat.

Now here we are with you wanting to somehow prove it with a webcam where the fps will be too low to effectively see anything but blur anyway.

Meanwhile we keep sidestepping and checking these kicks in training every day, as impossible as that must be.

Honestly dude, and without malice, you seem to be sparring with dudes that really suck and drinking your own Kool aide.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Meanwhile we keep sidestepping and checking these kicks in training every day, as impossible as that must be.
Show me this, and I'll show you a person who isn't kicking the lead leg when it's weighted.. It has been stated multiple times that this kick requires that the majority of the weight is placed on the lead leg. If the weight is not on the front leg then this kick will not work. If you truly understand this then you would know that there is no need to kick at the leg unless it's weighted down.

As for the quality of sparring partners. I can land this kick on anyone regardless of skill level. It's not some magic kick. If you understand when this kick is successful then it's just a matter being able to time that weight distribution.

Like I said if you can side step this kick then show that in a sparring video and I'll show that the weight isn't on the front leg.

Here's the thing about my sparring.
1. I spar to learn and not to win, so you'll never see me trying to "out do" and "beat someone". What you will see is me working my techniques.
2. I've sparred against amateur fighters (MMA, Muay Thai, and Boxing). None of them think my skills are lacking.
3. I've sparred against Sanda practitioners and they train similar to how I train. They work their techniques vs trying to KO your sparring partners.

Honestly dude, and without malice, you seem to be sparring with dudes that really suck and drinking your own Kool aide.
Some of those "dudes" that I spar with are known for Knocking people out in competition.. I definitely wouldn't say that they suck.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it'd be interesting, but there's a couple of issues...

1st and 2nd of November are Friday and Saturday (not Saturday and Sunday).

That weekend is the end of my kids school holiday, so I'm likely tied up with them.

I'm a minimum of 5 hours shifted from most of you.
I'll try to record it for you. PM me some of the questions that you want me to address, or explain. Even if it's something like JowGa Wolf you are wrong. This is how you sidestep this kick. With things like that and if possible, see if you can show a video of it so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Show me this, and I'll show you a person who isn't kicking the lead leg when it's weighted.. It has been stated multiple times that this kick requires that the majority of the weight is placed on the lead leg. If the weight is not on the front leg then this kick will not work. If you truly understand this then you would know that there is no need to kick at the leg unless it's weighted down.

As for the quality of sparring partners. I can land this kick on anyone regardless of skill level. It's not some magic kick. If you understand when this kick is successful then it's just a matter being able to time that weight distribution.

Like I said if you can side step this kick then show that in a sparring video and I'll show that the weight isn't on the front leg.

Here's the thing about my sparring.
1. I spar to learn and not to win, so you'll never see me trying to "out do" and "beat someone". What you will see is me working my techniques.
2. I've sparred against amateur fighters (MMA, Muay Thai, and Boxing). None of them think my skills are lacking.
3. I've sparred against Sanda practitioners and they train similar to how I train. They work their techniques vs trying to KO your sparring partners.

Some of those "dudes" that I spar with are known for Knocking people out in competition.. I definitely wouldn't say that they suck.

LOL..I just can't anymore.

Your ego is next level.

Edit - there was more but not worth it. Best of luck with your training.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll try to record it for you. PM me some of the questions that you want me to address, or explain. Even if it's something like JowGa Wolf you are wrong. This is how you sidestep this kick. With things like that and if possible, see if you can show a video of it so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Recording would be good if possible - maybe also let me know if/when you get it arranged and I'll see if it's possible for me.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be using webex so any device should work. IPad will work. Cell phone will work. But wouldn't be good for seeing something like a person with their heel slightly off the ground. No need for a webcam. The audio is VOIP; so thw "call" is free as long as the "call" is on a device that's connected to the home Internet or free WiFi.

A Bluetooth ear piece may work if you have one that you use for your phone. The small earphones with a mic that come with phones should work too. I've done that before on a PC. I assume it would work on an Apple Product.

Headsets cost around $10 on the low end.

If you use you IPad then you would need the Webex app. The name of the app is Cisco Webex Meetings
I’ve downloaded the app. Looks like I have to sign up for their service, but they have a 30 day free trial. I’ll wait until closer to the date to sign up.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No
I’ve downloaded the app. Looks like I have to sign up for their service, but they have a 30 day free trial. I’ll wait until closer to the date to sign up.
No you shouldn't have to sign up for it. I'll download the app tonight so I can see what you are seeing.

Latest Discussions