Free Webinar - Date and Time

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update. I'm a little late with this information. I had to cancel my time off this week so I really don't have much time to set things up the way that I want to. But I do have a date nailed down for this Webinar.

Date and time:
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Saturday, Nov 2 2019 (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Topic:
Live discussion about the oblique kick in which I will be analyzing a video that I recently posted stating that the defense against this kick is not accurate to how this kick is actually used. General discussion about the kick. Questions and Answers. I will be using sharing my knowledge of what I know about this kick and how I use the kick. I'll also share my observations with this kick based on what I've seen happen while I was an instructor. The last half of the webinar will be for open discussion for others to share their experience with this kick as well. Any Debate will be kept to a minimum as it sides track people from the original discussion and focus. Which will be 1 hour all about the oblique kick. I look forward to not having to type everything.

Webinar Link
Cisco Webex Meetings

Meeting Number: Depending on how you access the meeting call via phone or use audio from computer (VOIP). You may be asked to enter a meeting number. That number is below.
624 733 842

You should be able to access the meeting without a password. Webcams aren't necessary. I won't be using one. Depending on your internet connections, webcams may cause breaks in audio.

You will need to download the webex app if you plan on calling through a mobile device. You'll be able to access the Webminar 15 minutes before it starts so that you can get settled.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you plan on dialing in on the phone. I have the phone number that you would call if you are dialing in. I can sent that to you in PM. Using a computer or mobile device to listen to audio or to talk is free, so long as you are connected to the Internet.

I will try to record the webinar but I can't make any promises at this point on the quality of it.

I think that's it. I don't think I left anything out..

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, the whole point of this is to prove some point about how you are right and everyone else is wrong, and you aren't even going to demonstrate on cam?

Ok then lol.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait, the whole point of this is to prove some point about how you are right and everyone else is wrong, and you aren't even going to demonstrate on cam?

Ok then lol.

I'm using the video to cover the technique. That is the analysis part. That should take about 15 minutes or less. After that I'm I'll be talking about the kicking technique, it's strengths, it weaknesses, when is the best time to deploy it, what to watch for, how to set it up, targeting the shin, targeting the knee, how to generate the power of the kick. The illusion of the kick, why it seems like it's scoops vs stomps, Why the kick works better as a stomp vs scoop. The video analysis will help to lead into the discussion and assumptions that some people may have, Such as. "l'll see the kick coming a mile a way" from the outside looking it, it looks like that is the case, but often times we are making that assumption because we are viewing the kick from a different angle and not from the first-person perspective of facing an opponent.

So no the entire purpose is not to prove some point about how I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I've already demonstrated the mechanics of the kick, there is no need for me to go over that again. From this point it's about filling the gaps covering the other things that are just as important if not more important than the mechanics of this kick. One can have the right mechanics of this kick and still screw up.

As for me demonstrating that it works, I've already shown videos of me using, so there is no need for me turn on a webcam and do a demo of a kick when I have more than enough video of me using it in sparring. But for some, doing a demo on webcam won't be enough as my sparring partners have already been stated as being low quality. So I'm not sure how a webcam and demo of the technique would make them change their mind.

Personally, I wouldn't make a webinar for people like that. It would just be a waste of my time trying to prove something to someone who doesn't think highly or who doesn't see any validity in my skill set or knowledge of the technique. I would rather spend time sharing my knowledge about a technique that is found in many fighting systems. And maybe others will benefit like my brother has who is an amateur Muay Thai fighter. I watched his fight, analyzed, saw something I thought I could help in him. Trained him for about 3 hours and after that he was able to land the technique better without any of the problems he had before I shared with him my understanding of the kick.

if someone can walk away with from the webinar and be better at a technique that they may or may not use, then I'm satisfied. For those who think I'm just doing this to "prove" something, I would say to them that this webinar isn't for them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am looking forward to it.

***Edit: I was adjust advised by the wife that we will be traveling this weekend. Hopefully I can drop in for at least part of it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a possibility that I will have house guests visiting this weekend, in which case I would not be available. I should know one way or another by this evening.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am looking forward to it.

***Edit: I was adjust advised by the wife that we will be traveling this weekend. Hopefully I can drop in for at least part of it.
I try to record it. I hope I can do a test run before Saturday

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a possibility that I will have house guests visiting this weekend, in which case I would not be available. I should know one way or another by this evening.
No problem. Thanks for letting me know

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just bumping this us as a reminder about the webinar that I'm doing today.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure leading up to it, but sadly I will be in a car heading to a family birthday party so can't make it. If there is a recording I would appreciate it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just bumping this us as a reminder about the webinar that I'm doing today.
what time is it GMT /?

I have a feeling that it clashes with the formula one race from the US of A, In which case you should have considered alternative attractions before setting the date and time, for as dull as F1 can be on occasions I suspect it will contain more entertainment than an hour discussing a single kick, Im sure you could wrap it up in a couple of minutes if you tried !

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
what time is it GMT /?

I have a feeling that it clashes with the formula one race from the US of A, In which case you should have considered alternative attractions before setting the date and time, for as dull as F1 can be on occasions I suspect it will contain more entertainment than an hour discussing a single kick, Im sure you could wrap it up in a couple of minutes if you tried !
Not sure, but 1.5 hours from now.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
what time is it GMT /?

And I'd rather discuss a kick than watch a bunch of drivers make a bunch of left turns.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I almost forgot about this but spotted it just in time. I'll be attending assuming there are no technical difficulties.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wasn't sure leading up to it, but sadly I will be in a car heading to a family birthday party so can't make it. If there is a recording I would appreciate it.
lol.. That is if anyone shows up. Seems like I picked a really good time for doing things except a webinar. But I this is good for me, because it'll help me for webinars.

what time is it GMT /?

I considered alternative attractions. There will always be an alternative to tending a webinar.

As for the entertainment factor of talking about one kick. I guess it just depends on other priorities that a person may have and if the people think I have anything of value say. No different than deciding if you should see a movie or not. If you think it'll be good then you're more likely to attend. If you think it won't be that good then you may way. Or those who did go see it may say. "Wow that was really good. Not what I expected". So while you missed the first webinar you may make an effort not to miss the second one.

The first couple are always the hardest, because people don't know what to expect. Things get better once a few people have had a chance to experience it, either live or by recording.

On an average this kick takes about 5 months to teach, not because it's a difficult kick, but to because there's a lot of concepts and factors that go along with it. If the student doesn't understand Field of Vision, then you have bring the student up to speed with that concept, there are some distance concepts, mechanics, and timing concepts that are important to this kick. There is a lot that I can go into this kick but then I would teaching a class, and for now I just want a friendly two way discussion of the kick and things related to the kick.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol.. That is if anyone shows up. Seems like I picked a really good time for doing things except a webinar. But I this is good for me, because it'll help me for webinars.

I considered alternative attractions. There will always be an alternative to tending a webinar.

As for the entertainment factor of talking about one kick. I guess it just depends on other priorities that a person may have and if the people think I have anything of value say. No different than deciding if you should see a movie or not. If you think it'll be good then you're more likely to attend. If you think it won't be that good then you may way. Or those who did go see it may say. "Wow that was really good. Not what I expected". So while you missed the first webinar you may make an effort not to miss the second one.

The first couple are always the hardest, because people don't know what to expect. Things get better once a few people have had a chance to experience it, either live or by recording.

On an average this kick takes about 5 months to teach, not because it's a difficult kick, but to because there's a lot of concepts and factors that go along with it. If the student doesn't understand Field of Vision, then you have bring the student up to speed with that concept, there are some distance concepts, mechanics, and timing concepts that are important to this kick. There is a lot that I can go into this kick but then I would teaching a class, and for now I just want a friendly two way discussion of the kick and things related to the kick.
5 months for a @ stamp kick that's ridiculous, its half an hour on the heavy bag, the student doesn't need to understand field of vision, just know that most people cant look in your eyes from 3 feet away and see your feet at the same time and if there looking at your feet you punch them instead. how long does it take to explain that to someone ?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how long does it take to explain that to someone ?
Depends on the student and if the student is willing to believe what you just said or are they going to spend 2 months trying prove that what you just said is not always true. If this kick was that easy for most people to learn then we would see a lot of it in MMA, but we don't. Sometimes when you tell someone one thing, they will spend 2 months trying to prove that they are the exception, instead of believing what you said and just training as you stated.

Sometimes trying to fast track a technique by taking short cuts so it can be learned faster will also cause a longer learning period. Usually what happens in cases like that, people will learn the hard way that those boring basics actually were required, so they end up having to go back and learn the basics anyway..

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I try to join the meeting, it asks me for a password. If I hit return without entering anything or hit cancel, it drops me out to the login page.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure what happened but it looks like Webex didn't record the webinar. I'll need to figure out what didn't happen so I it won't happen in the future. So on that note I'm going to do something to put me in a better mood.

:banghead:

Latest Discussions