Pepsi to Use Real Sugar in 'Pepsi Throwback' and 'Mountain Dew Throwback' in April

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pepsi to Use Real Sugar in 'Pepsi Throwback' and 'Mountain Dew Throwback' in April

Posted by Erin Zimmer, February 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM

bevreview.com

Starting April 20, Pepsi will sell cans of Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback, which will be made with real sugar instead of HFCS. According to an email exchange today with Pepsi-Cola rep Nicole Bradley (inspired by Serious Eaters' questions): "Both products will be offered at the same price as regular Pepsi and regular Mountain Dew." The drinks will only be available until June 13.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/02/...ar-in-pepsi-throwback-mountain-dew-april.html

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do whatever they want with Pespi I don't much care for it but as far as my Mountain Dew goes... well I can only say...

Attachments

• $37.jpg
    $37.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 225

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow MaCaver I'm surprised...you actually prefer HFCS to real sugar??

Heck, I don't normally drink either one of them, but just for the sake of trying soda made with real sugar (which most haven't been for over 15 years at least) Iwas thinking about picking up a six pack and doing taste comparisons. It should be interesting, the HFCS version versus the real version. I'm betting the real version would win.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh wow....I miss Mountain Dew made with real sugar, and I'm not one to drink sugary drinks at all.

I suspect they will keep producing a version of both with HFCS. Its cheaper than sugar and their production line is already in place for it.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer sugar cola's. I remember when Jolt was "Real Sugar" 2x caffine!". :(

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer sugar cola's. I remember when Jolt was "Real Sugar" 2x caffine!". :(
I LOVE Jolt cola. I, too, remember jolt in the 16 oz glass bottle that had "twice the sugar and twice the caffeine". It disappeared around here for several years and when it came back it was HFCS and in a huge metal can a la energy drinks. Of course, I drink so much coffee and have for years that Jolt doesn't give me a kick anymore. It's just a good alternative for my coffee when it gets hot.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Out here in Arizona, the Mexican immigrants will pay about double for imported Mexican Cokes, Pepsis, and other sodas from home, all in thick deposit bottles (remember those?). The first time I bought one-- a Coke in a thick greenish glass bottle, it was like a time warp to when I was a kid again. The stuff tasted the way I remembered that it used to. My wife (a dental hygienist who despises soft drinks on principle) said it's 'cause they are made with real sugar. Maybe that's it. Viva Mexico.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a side note, I'm now experimenting with home brewed Ginger Ale. All real sugar. Quite different than the bottled stuff.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a side note, I'm now experimenting with home brewed Ginger Ale. All real sugar. Quite different than the bottled stuff.

Yeah, I make Root Beer like that too... Careful with that Gingerale once its bottled... those bottles WILL explode.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, did ginger syrup as a mix in to carbonated water. Gonna try bottling once I put enough bottles on the side.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Niiiiiiiiiiice. As much as I've been trying to stay away from sugar, I'm going to have to find me some Mountain Dew :D :D

(Bob, can I steal the word 'nerdvana'? I love it!!) :lol:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out here in Arizona, the Mexican immigrants will pay about double for imported Mexican Cokes, Pepsis, and other sodas from home, all in thick deposit bottles (remember those?). The first time I bought one-- a Coke in a thick greenish glass bottle, it was like a time warp to when I was a kid again. The stuff tasted the way I remembered that it used to. My wife (a dental hygienist who despises soft drinks on principle) said it's 'cause they are made with real sugar. Maybe that's it. Viva Mexico.

They taste better! I love going to Mexico & having soft drinks. Makes the shots go down easier too...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Niiiiiiiiiiice. As much as I've been trying to stay away from sugar, I'm going to have to find me some Mountain Dew :D :D

(Bob, can I steal the word 'nerdvana'? I love it!!) :lol:

I wonder if they'll do the Voltage Dew with real sugar????

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Throwbacks are limited time only. So buy it, buy it lots, and bug the **** outta Pepsi to make it permanent.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out of production, when the warehouses are empty, real Pepsi is gone again. I just picked up 24 cases, cleaned out 2 Wegmans and a Walmart of their last shipments of TB.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out of production, when the warehouses are empty, real Pepsi is gone again. I just picked up 24 cases, cleaned out 2 Wegmans and a Walmart of their last shipments of TB.

I'm glad I got to try it before I was diagnosed as diabetic - now I won't ever be able to drink it again even if it was around.

But I have to tell you - I didn't like it.

I noticed it wasn't made with cane sugar but with beet sugar. I think there's a difference.

I was planning to swing through West Jefferson, NC on my way home in a couple weeks to pick up some 'real' Mountain Dew, made with cane sugar (they're the last ones who make it), but with the diabetes, scratch that.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that Bill. :(

Locally, the MD is long out of stock. At least I haven't seen it the last 2 weeks.

Cane vs Beet, there probably is a taste difference. I think Pepsi Natural uses cane, though that's only available in a few markets right now. If I get to Cleveland anytime soon I'll snag some and see how it compares.

I just sent Pepsi's president an email asking them to keep the product. Anyone interested in adding their voice, visit http://cr.pepsi.com/usen/pepsiusen.cfm?date=20090613.

Once my stockpile is gone, it's back to tea and Indi-Pop for me.
:asian:

Latest Discussions