Are Christians Wrong About Darwin

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was an 'official' Christian position on Charles Darwin. ;)

Regarding the article, Darwin was motivated by his faith to find explanations to origins other than any explicitly connected to a Creator, but it wasn't a Christian faith that motivated him. Darwin grew up in a religious family, but became embittered over the death of his daughter. Somewhere around that point in time, he gave up his Christian faith and turned actively hostile against it.

Last week we celebrated the anniversary of the birth of another man (and one of my personal heroes), Abraham Lincoln. I am amazed at the differences between the two. Lincoln was a secularist all his life, until the death of his son broke him. Unlike Darwin, this tragic loss drove him in search of God, rather than into bitterness away from Him.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seems to me, as a christian, that Darwin's birthday is a non-event and that celebrators as well as protestors both have too much time on their hands.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me, as a christian, that Darwin's birthday is a non-event and that celebrators as well as protestors both have too much time on their hands.
As an atheist I feel the same way.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im a Christian and on this issue I say....

Happy Birthday Darwin!

Im thinking that this "protest" probably consists of a handful of people that the media loves to "amplify" because it supports some agenda of theirs.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not everyone is celebrating the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth. Some are protesting. A Christian ministry called Answers in Genesis is holding anti-Darwin conferences on the East and West coasts this month, aimed at helping Americans "understand that Darwinian evolution is wrong and that it has undermined the Christian faith and has fueled social ills like racism and abortion."

Potential Headline for theOnion: Christians gather to protest birth.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Potential Headline for theOnion: Christians gather to protest birth.

That would be so like The Onion too... :lol:

With no disrespect meant to anyone's faith, I don't particularly care for ancient scripture as a strict science text. Nor do I believe that scientific rigor is a fair metric of their value.

I also don't particularly care for science as an ideology and I'm all done with the Ichthus with the feet and the "Darwin" lettering inside thankyouverymuch.

His contribution to science was beyond groundbreaking and will continue to be explored in the coming decades. The human side to him is in the hands of the Almighty, not mine. What saddens me is that there are many quiet, selfless unknown people of service that live the values of Christ every day in their quest to serve God and humanity. It saddens me to think of how many inspiring, motivating stories that will be passed over, forgotten, or never known because of all the energy that has continues to be spent debating Mr. Darwin.

Latest Discussions