People that are skinny vs someone bigger, more likely to break bones or feel pain?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even in labour the pain felt can vary hugely though and there is a psychological aspect to labour which is why great care should be taken about the mother's state of mind ie is she terrified of having pain, is she scared of being in labour, is she relaxed etc. Education works a great deal towards lessening pain as does the atmosphere and situation of where she is giving birth, a lot of factors are involved in childbirth.
I have seen several programmes on childbirth in the US, it seems 'gas and air' isn't used at all? Seems unnecessarily cruel to make mothers go through pain when they could be using something to help.

The U.S. uses the full range of options for pain control during childbirth. It's not my area, (the standard response to a labor patient in the ER is "get them out of here!!!!") but I believe the most popular is epidural.

A lot of what you've probably seen is from people who choose to deliver that way.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The U.S. uses the full range of options for pain control during childbirth. It's not my area, (the standard response to a labor patient in the ER is "get them out of here!!!!") but I believe the most popular is epidural.

A lot of what you've probably seen is from people who choose to deliver that way.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

I did wonder because whether on real life programmes or fiction there is never anyone breathing into the 'mask' while using the other hand to break the bones in their partner's hand. A nation of masochists perhaps! My idea of natural childbirth is to take my make up off, I didn't have any pain needless to say, gas and air and pethidine are wonderful.

Looking it up more it seems the US doesn't use gas and air. Is gas and air (Entonox) used in hospitals in the US?
Why Isn't Nitrous Oxide Widely Available for Labor Pain Relief in the U.S.? - Our Bodies Ourselves

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did wonder because whether on real life programmes or fiction there is never anyone breathing into the 'mask' while using the other hand to break the bones in their partner's hand. A nation of masochists perhaps! My idea of natural childbirth is to take my make up off, I didn't have any pain needless to say, gas and air and pethidine are wonderful.

Looking it up more it seems the US doesn't use gas and air. Is gas and air (Entonox) used in hospitals in the US?

You'd have to be a little more specific than "gas and air"... Air is nothing but gasses, after all, so the term is both redundant and uninformative.
Nitrous oxide and such are used in some places, but frankly there are better options available for pain control.

Just an FYI... Never give anyone your hand to squeeze. Give them two fingers. Nobody can squeeze hard enough to hurt you that way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd have to be a little more specific than "gas and air"... Air is nothing but gasses, after all, so the term is both redundant and uninformative.
Nitrous oxide and such are used in some places, but frankly there are better options available for pain control.

Just an FYI... Never give anyone your hand to squeeze. Give them two fingers. Nobody can squeeze hard enough to hurt you that way.

It's nitrous oxide and oxygen ( I gave the name Entonox in my link) commonly known by all in the UK as 'gas and air' ( practically a national treasure) , used by paramedics for pain relief for various injuries and in childbirth, it's NOT used by dentists here. It's a very effective self administered short term pain relief, we've had guys who've had dislocated shoulders in training given it, makes moving them to the amby easier. Works beautifully for childbirth as there's no crossover to the baby and without the risks (and numbness) involved with an epidural. Excellent stuff.
http://www.christie.nhs.uk/booklets/388.pdf
Patient-administered inhalation of nitrous oxide and oxygen gas for procedural pain relief
Pain relief using Entonox® | Great Ormond Street Hospital

Last edited:

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensory nerves are pretty much 100% in the superficial tissues. Muscles are UNDER those nerves and do nothing whatsoever to "pad" them.

Pain perception is extremely subjective. Tag a new student who has never really been hit before, and they drop, convinced that they're about to die. Give them some time and experience and they shrug off a harder strike like it was nothing.

Two things have likely changed.
1 - their perception of how severe pain is.
2 - they've learned how to use their body to absorb impact more safely. Strikes are deceleration injuries. Breath control, muscle tension, body movement, all combine to extend the time from contact to the end of the strike. The same amount of kinetic energy, but over a slightly longer period of time, means it just isn't going to hurt as much.

I've seen far too many people in the ER who tell me the pain from their ingrown toenail is a 10 to view pain as anything other than primarily subjective.

How is it that after having fought and sparred heavy contact for a while, I noticed that the degree I would bruise dropped off markedly? It wasn't just that I had learned to evade all strikes (I wish), it was that I noticed I was not bruising up nearly as much to hits. Does the body, internal and external, somehow condition?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best option is to deal with life as it is, not as we would wish it to be. Treat individuals as individuals.

Just because different people "feel" pain differently doesn't mean that they all react to pain the same way. There's a huge difference. I've got some friends who simply don't get emotionally invested in a fight until they've take a good sock to the kisser. They just can't gear up to it mentally. But we all know other people who will mentally "shut down" when hit for the first time, feeling the first "real pain." While how you "feel" pain is very important, how you react to pain is much more important in our specific context.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yeah, like in Southpaw (haven't seen but would like to). I have wondered about that, there are examples of good real life boxers I have read about that need to even get a little punch drunk before they engage/wind up. I have never been like that. I wonder why they need that level of stimuli, and sometimes a bit of damage, before "investing"?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it that after having fought and sparred heavy contact for a while, I noticed that the degree I would bruise dropped off markedly? It wasn't just that I had learned to evade all strikes (I wish), it was that I noticed I was not bruising up nearly as much to hits. Does the body, internal and external, somehow condition?

I can't answer that but after my husband's heart attack we've noticed how easily he now bruises from the slightest thing, it's been put down to his meds notably the aspirin, of course that's probably nothing to do with why you aren't bruising so much lol.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Childbirth is not the place to do baseline pain thresholds. During childbirth the female body produces more endorphins and engages other physiological pain coping systems that are not typically available to the woman when not in child birth.

Yes, child birth hurts "a really bunch" but it's not the baseline for a woman.

However, it also gives researchers a great opportunity to look for ways to tailor pain medication specifically for women, similar to the way that pregnancy allowed researchers to develop anti-rejection drugs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You mean I can get an anti-rejection drug to work on my wife?? :D:woot:

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Consider yourself Gibb smacked!
I don't know that one, will google, is it some Yorkshire dude/term?? Is that Yorkie for gob-smacked??...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Some of it is conditioning, some of it is better evasion, some of it is better blocking (you may get hit, but you've partially deflected the blow, which means less energy into the target), some of it is learning to move with the blow, etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that one, will google, is it some Yorkshire dude/term?? Is that Yorkie for gob-smacked??...

LOL, it's from NCIS where Gibbs smacks his staff round the back of the head!

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Respect to you senior MA's.... but I don't get it. When there is a notable size and strength difference (I am talking 50-100 lbs or more) in opponents I have noticed the struggle of my MA partners to bruise or hurt me. Their force on my bulk is not enough to cause pain in SOME strikes and locks. When I spar with some bigger or more trained to deliver force - then I feel it. Simple example - my daughters and even my wife hurt.... themselves....when punching me in the gut.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple example - my daughters and even my wife hurt.... themselves....when punching me in the gut.

I have to ask this, why are they punching you in the gut? Was it something you said?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean I can get an anti-rejection drug to work on my wife?? :D:woot:
Of course.

However, most of them are illegal. All of them are illegal to use on an unsuspecting target.

That said, the drug C2H6O is still technically legal in most cases, is most often used consensually, and is a very very common "anti-rejection drug to work on [insert female here]." I'd wager, in fact, it's the most common drug for these purposes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have to ask this, why are they punching you in the gut? Was it something you said?

1) Oldest daughter saw me come out of a heavy lifting session in the gym and was being silly started dancing around pretending to hit me in the gut - so I said "go ahead.... hit me!" . She did and sprained her wrist.:eek:
2) Youngest daughter is in MMA kids class - so she likes to punch me all over - usually after she is done with class hyped up and I just stand there, talking with other parents, while she works away on the body shots (yes parents give me a look):D
3) Wife - well yes - she got mad at some hurtful dumb thing I said....We were both embarrassed :oops:

The big guy usually gets to be the punching bag - cause we can't feel pain right?

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The big guy usually gets to be the punching bag - cause we can't feel pain right?
Not usually. It's usually because humans are intimidated and/or jealous by people with a larger (in shape) frame than them.

Generally speaking, you become the punching bag as the "big guy" because the rest of us want to ensure that we can physically match you (the advantages of greater mass and greater strength) or because we want to take you down a notch in the pecking order of Social Dominance Ritual (and, yes, studies do indicate that taller people are automatically granted a higher social standing by virtue of merely being taller).

We just tell you it's because you can take it better. We may even think that we believe that, ourselves. But subconsciously...

No, I'm not joking, though I really wish I was. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Oldest daughter saw me come out of a heavy lifting session in the gym and was being silly started dancing around pretending to hit me in the gut - so I said "go ahead.... hit me!" . She did and sprained her wrist.:eek:
2) Youngest daughter is in MMA kids class - so she likes to punch me all over - usually after she is done with class hyped up and I just stand there, talking with other parents, while she works away on the body shots (yes parents give me a look):D
3) Wife - well yes - she got mad at some hurtful dumb thing I said....We were both embarrassed :oops:

Our big guys let themselves get beaten up by the kids too, it helps the kids when their parents are on deployment and they get worried, frustrated but can't say anything so we have a session where the fighters come in to 'spar' with the kids, the guys don't get hurt physically of course but watching the kids can be painful when you don't know if their parents are coming back from a warzone in one piece or at all.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
=======================================

If you are 200 pounds or more and she is small skinny girl she can't really do much of any thing as there will be little power when she tries to hit you.

If she wants to have really strong punches and not be punching like a small little girl!! But really strong punches. She needs to go to gym and start lifting weights and get a a punching bag and hit that every day.

And hitting stuff to work on timing and to toughen up the wrist and shoulders and torso.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
=======================================

If you are 200 pounds or more and she is small skinny girl she can't really do much of any thing as there will be little power when she tries to hit you.

If she wants to have really strong punches and not be punching like a small little girl!! But really strong punches. She needs to go to gym and start lifting weights and get a a punching bag and hit that every day.

And hitting stuff to work on timing and to toughen up the wrist and shoulders and torso.

When you are smaller you learn to be very, very sneaky. It's not all about big punches and strength it's about what Granny Weatherwax called headology. If she's small no amount of gym work and lifting weights is going to get her matching a big guy, what she needs is craftiness, good techniques and being able to think outside the box.

Latest Discussions