People that are skinny vs someone bigger, more likely to break bones or feel pain?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if its a gender thing as much as cultural thing. Most women aren't taught to have that same durability that men have. Many cultures frown upon girls who are tomboys out in the street playing football or wrestling in the grass. The more bumps and bruises that a child learns to handle as a kid the better that child is able to deal with pain as an adult. When an 8 year old daughter is hurt most parents will comfort her. When an 8 year old son gets hurts, the mother will comfort him, but the dad will respond with something like "walk it off" if the injury is not severe. I'm also guilty of this with females. If a 30 year old man were to fall in the street, I would ask if he was ok, and probably only ask that. If it is a woman then I would ask if she's ok, and then maybe say "can't you walk" and I would comfort her. I think it's this role and expectation of men are supposed to be tough that helps men to deal with pain better.
It's not all Socialization and Cultural differences. Modern researchers are certainly smart enough to account for that and most definitely feel pressure to do so. Even when controlling for differences in socialization, most research finds a difference in male vs female pain thresholds. There's been dozens of studies on this because it represents untold billions of dollars to the pharmaceutical industry.

Here's yet another reported study, from this year, which concludes that, though men and women are taught to handle pain differently, there are also physiological and hormonal differences which impact the pain thresholds.

Women DO feel pain more intensely than men

It's not as if the research is being swept under the rug.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question of course would be are women looked at as inferior for supposedly feeling pain more intensely because quite often the answer is yes, men are considered as being braver etc while women are considered weak.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The question of course would be are women looked at as inferior for supposedly feeling pain more intensely because quite often the answer is yes, men are considered as being braver etc while women are considered weak.

As I have witnessed my wife give birth to two children, I would never characterize any woman as weak.......

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some people have more nerve endings and their sensitivity UNDER the skin than other people? That explain why some people have more pain than other people?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hear Systema is way to get really strong and not feel pain.

2 minutes of hard striking by the same guy!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear Systema is way to get really strong and not feel pain.

2 minutes of hard striking by the same guy!!

No more than any other martial art. You will always feel pain ( pain is your body's way of telling you that you're still alive by the way) you just get used to it, when you start looking forward to it, then worry.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No more than any other martial art. You will always feel pain ( pain is your body's way of telling you that you're still alive by the way) you just get used to it, when you start looking forward to it, then worry.

So the best way to get really strong and not feel pain is to get kicked and punched every day for your body to build up muscles.

Going to the gym and lifting weights will not help because it is different type of muscles you get at a gym.

Or breathing exercises one can do to not feel pain.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the best way to get really strong and not feel pain is to get kicked and punched every day for your body to build up muscles.

Going to the gym and lifting weights will not help because it is different type of muscles you get at a gym.

Or breathing exercises one can do to not feel pain.

No, not really. If you get hurt a lot you get used to coping with it, watch pro cyclists for example they do three week competitions and continue to ride with all sorts of injuries, it's about coping with pain not building up muscles. It's about 'growing' fortitude and being able to ignore pain, there's nothing you can do to prevent pain if you are going to fight. You need to feel pain, it's bad if you don't. You can't breathe your way not to feel it, breathing exercises help you cope with it.
It's mental training not physical training that allows you to work through the pain, you won't find that in the gym.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My two cents is if you build up notable muscles it will insulate you from hit pain and damage from smaller weaker opponents - that's my experience anyway in being hit SOME areas like the stomach, arms, legs etc. This does not work on things like knee caps, nose, ankles - obviously - but the meatier areas of the body - bulking up will protect you. Again this just my experience when sparing with smaller less strong (and less experienced) opponents. They have weight categories in boxing and MMA for a reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents is if you build up notable muscles it will insulate you from hit pain and damage from smaller weaker opponents - that's my experience anyway in being hit SOME areas like the stomach, arms, legs etc. This does not work on things like knee caps, nose, ankles - obviously - but the meatier areas of the body - bulking up will protect you. Again this just my experience when sparing with smaller less strong (and less experienced) opponents.

It's not the muscles that are 'protecting' you from pain when you are sparring but the adrenaline.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I have witnessed my wife give birth to two children, I would never characterize any woman as weak.......
Yeah, if women feel pain more severely than men, the fact that they still go through childbirth is incredible! Our second child, as so often, was done in record time. The first was a totally different story, three unrelenting days in the hospital of, dare I say it, hell. I wouldn't want to have gone through that and it was pretty shocking to witness as a dad watching on and comforting.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell!! What's to prove?

If women "feel" pain more, then...big deal. More cred to them to getting on with life, training, child birth and generally dealing with us blokes! If a male mate of mine was diagnosed (if that's the word, hehe) scientifically as experiencing more "pain" for the same impact as myself, I wouldn't look down on him. Why? I'd just be glad it wasn't me.

Who cares about comparisons, just get on with life and do your best/worst! I should be writing Nike ads or something...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not the muscles that are 'protecting' you from pain when you are sparring but the adrenaline.
I don't know...I don't have any but am told by friends that are tatted up that when you get tattoos on the areas with little body tissue in between, ie across ribs, under arm pit (ouch!!!), that it hurts like a son of b, compared to the shoulder, arm, thigh etc. Surely that is because you are right up against the nerves??

Wouldn't the same apply to getting punched, if you can build up more muscle...or fat (padding)..., might that not reduce the impact to the nerves and also thus the "pain"?

Maybe a fat bloke getting a strike to the gut, depending on his fight experience, may not "feel" as much "pain" as a guy with good abdominal conditioning. Maybe the strike/pain would be relayed through the nerves more in a conditioned guy than a fat one, would fat be more of a buffer?

Disclaimer: You may not have figured it from the above : ) but, I ain't no doctor...yet... : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are big being thrown seems to mess them up more.probably physics or something.

If you got a machine that swings a hammer at the same rate at a guy with more mass. Fat muscle whatever. And a guy with less mass.

The more mass guy would probably be able to take harder impacts.
I'm kind of inclined to agree with this. The dude's pain receptors (ie true ability to deal with pain or pain threshold) may be no different, or even more acute, but if he has more coverage/mass, surely that soaks up some of the punishment and he will both suffer less physical damage and feel less pain, unless (as Arnie would say) he is a girlie man... : )

The mind always come into it, even a big bloke may think he is getting a maiming more than he actually is and therefore crumples before a smaller dude does.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, that's true. It is also a disservice to make those sort of assumptions.

Additionally, it's a disservice to over-emphasize the differences. Statistically, the bells are closer than many people seem to realize.

Humans are weird. They seem to want to swing from extreme position to extreme position, either denying that there are any differences at all, or emphasizing the differences to the point of caricature. Both are foolish.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, if women feel pain more severely than men, the fact that they still go through childbirth is incredible!
Childbirth is not the place to do baseline pain thresholds. During childbirth the female body produces more endorphins and engages other physiological pain coping systems that are not typically available to the woman when not in child birth.

Yes, child birth hurts "a really bunch" but it's not the baseline for a woman.

However, it also gives researchers a great opportunity to look for ways to tailor pain medication specifically for women, similar to the way that pregnancy allowed researchers to develop anti-rejection drugs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the OP is looking for a way to spar/fight without feeling any pain, hence the questions about building up muscles and whether fat helps ( I don't think fat helps anything really except perhaps make you too big to kidnap?)
In short I think there is no way to eliminate pain, nothing you can do to stop some getting through (unless you're dead), being fit, having muscles building up tolerance to pain all good but you will never stop all pain. there are people who are born feeling no pain, medical cases and they have to take extreme care because they can damage themselves without knowing which leads to big medical problems so, no you don't want to not feel pain, getting to enjoy it however is another question I'm not going to address here. :D

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell!! What's to prove?

If women "feel" pain more, then...big deal. More cred to them to getting on with life, training, child birth and generally dealing with us blokes! If a male mate of mine was diagnosed (if that's the word, hehe) scientifically as experiencing more "pain" for the same impact as myself, I wouldn't look down on him. Why? I'd just be glad it wasn't me.

Who cares about comparisons, just get on with life and do your best/worst! I should be writing Nike ads or something...
The best option is to deal with life as it is, not as we would wish it to be. Treat individuals as individuals.

Just because different people "feel" pain differently doesn't mean that they all react to pain the same way. There's a huge difference. I've got some friends who simply don't get emotionally invested in a fight until they've take a good sock to the kisser. They just can't gear up to it mentally. But we all know other people who will mentally "shut down" when hit for the first time, feeling the first "real pain." While how you "feel" pain is very important, how you react to pain is much more important in our specific context.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Childbirth is not the place to do baseline pain thresholds. During childbirth the female body produces more endorphins and engages other physiological pain coping systems that are not typically available to the woman when not in child birth.

Yes, child birth hurts "a really bunch" but it's not the baseline for a woman.

However, it also gives researchers a great opportunity to look for ways to tailor pain medication specifically for women, similar to the way that pregnancy allowed researchers to develop anti-rejection drugs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Even in labour the pain felt can vary hugely though and there is a psychological aspect to labour which is why great care should be taken about the mother's state of mind ie is she terrified of having pain, is she scared of being in labour, is she relaxed etc. Education works a great deal towards lessening pain as does the atmosphere and situation of where she is giving birth, a lot of factors are involved in childbirth.
I have seen several programmes on childbirth in the US, it seems 'gas and air' isn't used at all? Seems unnecessarily cruel to make mothers go through pain when they could be using something to help.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I don't have any but am told by friends that are tatted up that when you get tattoos on the areas with little body tissue in between, ie across ribs, under arm pit (ouch!!!), that it hurts like a son of b, compared to the shoulder, arm, thigh etc. Surely that is because you are right up against the nerves??

Wouldn't the same apply to getting punched, if you can build up more muscle...or fat (padding)..., might that not reduce the impact to the nerves and also thus the "pain"?

Maybe a fat bloke getting a strike to the gut, depending on his fight experience, may not "feel" as much "pain" as a guy with good abdominal conditioning. Maybe the strike/pain would be relayed through the nerves more in a conditioned guy than a fat one, would fat be more of a buffer?

Disclaimer: You may not have figured it from the above : ) but, I ain't no doctor...yet... : )

Sensory nerves are pretty much 100% in the superficial tissues. Muscles are UNDER those nerves and do nothing whatsoever to "pad" them.

Pain perception is extremely subjective. Tag a new student who has never really been hit before, and they drop, convinced that they're about to die. Give them some time and experience and they shrug off a harder strike like it was nothing.

Two things have likely changed.
1 - their perception of how severe pain is.
2 - they've learned how to use their body to absorb impact more safely. Strikes are deceleration injuries. Breath control, muscle tension, body movement, all combine to extend the time from contact to the end of the strike. The same amount of kinetic energy, but over a slightly longer period of time, means it just isn't going to hurt as much.

I've seen far too many people in the ER who tell me the pain from their ingrown toenail is a 10 to view pain as anything other than primarily subjective.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Latest Discussions