People that are skinny vs someone bigger, more likely to break bones or feel pain?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do skinny person getting punched or kicked feel pain more than some one bigger? A skinny girl vs bigger guy!!!

Being bigger more body fat help? A skinny person getting punched , kicked or thrown to the ground hard, feel more pain and easier to break bones than bigger person?

A person that is bigger or really big like ( may be 200 pounds ) or better yet 250 pounds to 300 pounds less likely to break bones and feel pain than a skinny person.

How much does body fat help? Or is it muscles like weight lifting that help not body fat.

So only bodybuilders it is harder to break bones than a skinny person?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you really want to know? I see a lot of questions about weight as if you are trying to find answer to a question you aren't asking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weight either way helps sort of because you get to throw around more mass.

But there is a complicated grey area as well. In determining who has the best chance of winning a fight.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I mean is people that are skinny feel pain more and easier to break bones than say a person that has more fat.

Or is it muscle not fat that is key factor here.

A person that is skinny getting punched , kicked or thrown to the ground easier to break bones than say a person that has more fat.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What do you really want to know? I see a lot of questions about weight as if you are trying to find answer to a question you aren't asking.

A really skinny person like...
All sizes | IMG_5927 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | one armed bandit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | ryan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Cleaning That Filter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | 34426_1517918759211_1571773101_2024403_1475196_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Getting punched, kicked or thrown to the ground hard. Do they feel more pain and easier to break bones.

Or is having more fat and eating more will do nothing it is bodybuilding getting muscle that will help?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you should really worry about weight that much. What we deem "really skinny" in America is not abnormal in many other countries, and in the end, it's not really that important to your practice of martial arts unless you're interested in competition and you're concerned with weight classes.

If you want to put on more weight, I'd look at working out and gaining muscle mass as opposed to just putting on more fat. But, it really depends what your goal is. Are you trying to compete in combat sports? Or are you just interested in looking after yourself? If the latter, I wouldn't worry too much.

As a pretty skinny person myself, I've found that being thin has some advantages as well as disadvantages. For example, my bony fore-arms aren't bad weapons, and I tend to be much more flexible when it comes to joint locking arts. Now, would someone swinging a stick at my forearm break bones more easily than someone with more muscle and fat guarding their bones? Maybe. But, maybe not. If the bigger guy blocks the weapon more bluntly, while I meet it at an acute angle and try to dissipate / deflect the force, I'll be the less likely of the two to come away with a serious injury.

How about other scenarios?

If I'm stranded without food, I'll probably only take a number of weeks to starve to death. Many larger individuals might last 2, 3, or even 6 months without food. Someone who's obese can last a year or more.
But, the one who will really make it the longest is the one who actually knows how to find food.

Now, turn it around. If I need to run from imminent danger, my thin, lean build will probably put me at an advantage over that same crowd.
But, how about the practiced runner? He'll have the best advantage, even compared to someone of similar physical shape.

Just focus on your training, and use your natural attributes to your advantage. Anyone who does any physical activity has to learn to best adapt it to their own physical build and capabilities.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A really skinny person like...
All sizes | IMG_5927 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | one armed bandit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | ryan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Cleaning That Filter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | 34426_1517918759211_1571773101_2024403_1475196_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Getting punched, kicked or thrown to the ground hard. Do they feel more pain and easier to break bones.

Or is having more fat and eating more will do nothing it is bodybuilding getting muscle that will help?

Here's the thing about feeling pain. The amount of pain that a person feels is directly tied to the quality of their body conditioning, the force of the punch, kick, or throw and the position and location of the impact on the body.

Building up muscle through body building makes your punches less powerful. While having more muscles does offer more protection, it's not one of those things where if you have muscles means that the pain is less or that bones are more difficult to break. If I punch or kick a body builder in this face then it's still going to hurt. The only thing that I know that I can't do is pick up a body builder and throw him to the ground. But what I can do is sweep his legs from under him sending him in the air and depending on how he hits the ground it's possible that he will break a bone because of his weight. If I did the same thing to a skinny guy, the skinny guy may not break a bone. Because he doesn't have the same amount of weight hitting the ground.

If I wanted my body to take more punishment (which I never focus on) then I would be more concerned with body conditioning. My mindset is this. I condition my body so that my body hurts my attacker.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Building up muscle through body building makes your punches less powerful. .
Yeah, that's a myth my friend, pure and simple, and funnily enough one you hear all the time in certain spheres of the MA world.

If you mean this in the narrow sense, in that it is just body building you are talking about then you can be right, as body building is more focused on volume and appearance of conditioning, rather than pure power output or strength as the key focus. To that degree I would agree with you...but if it is a body builder that knows good boxing technique, then look out, there will be a lot of power behind those punches (until they gas out). I've seen a body builder mate of mine cave a heavy bag in (like George Foreman could).

Otherwise, it's a myth that building muscle reduces power or takes away from technique execution, etc. Mike Tyson, reduced power?...?? Evander Holyfield...? George Foreman...uhmmm! (there are of course mixed views as to how much he lifted when young but it is well known for his comeback that he did a massive amount of weight and strongman training).

Now there can be a threshold where building muscle gets in the way of speed - and that is why even powerful fighters like Tyson did not have the overly heavy musculature of body builders or even power lifters. On that side of things I way back in the day Foreman's coach, Gil Clancy, told him to lay off the weights as it would interfere with his speed. But look at the speed of Tyson in his prime and the musculature of his shoulders, arms and chest.

Plenty of K1 fighters do specific weight training for power and strength. Plenty UFC and MMA guys also devote time specifically to skills, fitness, strength and power (which includes weight training programmes, for building muscle in the correct fashion).

It's about strength and power increase - and not the volumisation (and definition) of body building, two different goals (although each spill over into the other to varying degrees as by-products).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have different pain thresholds that have nothing to do with their build. I've seen big guys cry 'ouch' at a paper cut and seen smaller guys grin at being punched hard enough to make them move across the room.
You can build up a tolerance to pain if you want to, it's painful though :D
I have a high tolerance for pain, I'm not that big and certainly don't have big muscles. You can't really pin down what makes one person not feel as much pain as another. When I was having my first baby a woman down the corridor was screaming her head of and she had only just gone into labour, I didn't feel that bad and I was nearly done. All our pain thresholds are different.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do skinny person getting punched or kicked feel pain more than some one bigger? A skinny girl vs bigger guy!!!

Being bigger more body fat help? A skinny person getting punched , kicked or thrown to the ground hard, feel more pain and easier to break bones than bigger person?

A person that is bigger or really big like ( may be 200 pounds ) or better yet 250 pounds to 300 pounds less likely to break bones and feel pain than a skinny person.

How much does body fat help? Or is it muscles like weight lifting that help not body fat.

No. How much pain tolerance a person exhibits doesn't appear to be related to their physical size.

However, there ARE factors which, statistically speaking, seem to affect pain tolerance.

Most studies show that men, generally speaking, have a higher pain tolerance than women; except during child birth when the female body is flooded with a cocktail of body chemicals which endow them with pain tolerance which would make most men jealous.

Some recent studies indicate that Redheads have lower pain thresholds (or at least feel pain "differently") than other hair colors. Why? No one knows.

Some studies indicate that swearing and cursing actually increases pain tolerance across the board, regardless of gender or hair color.

And, of course, these are all just statistical averages with outliers on either side of the Bell. I've not seen any studies which link relative body mass or fat percentages (unrelated to gender) to a person's pain thresholds.

What's this all mean? Pain tolerance and pain thresholds are difficult to predict and are often very specific to individuals.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some recent studies indicate that Redheads have lower pain thresholds than other hair colors.

My mother worked as a blood transfusion service nurse, collecting blood from blood donors, she told me that red heads were more prone to fainting than other people. Whenever they had a red headed donor come in they stayed with them. She said they fainted 8 times out of ten. (Also students would eat all the biscuits lol.)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you mean this in the narrow sense, in that it is just body building you are talking about then you can be right, as body building is more focused on volume and appearance of conditioning, rather than pure power output or strength as the key focus.
This is what I'm referring to. Bodybuilding has nothing to do with punch power. So if a person is just lifting weights to get big then they aren't doing the training that makes stronger punches or kicks. A person that does bodybuilding and boxing would fall in the same category. The bodybuilding isn't the thing that is making his punches stronger it's the boxing technique that is helping the punching power.

Plenty of K1 fighters do specific weight training for power and strength
To me weight training is different than bodybuilding. To me Weight training is the activity of lifting weights to specifically help in a specific activity or motion. Chinese Martial artists have always done weight training, but they lifted weights for the purpose of being stronger and faster in their martial art. Bodybuilders just build muscles for the sake of being huge with muscles. Some body builders incorporate functional weight training as a way to balance out their primary focus which is to get big.

This is why I stated that building up muscles through bodybuilding and not "Building up muscles through weight training."
I don't disagree with your comments, just clarifying mine.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is what I'm referring to. Bodybuilding has nothing to do with punch power. So if a person is just lifting weights to get big then they aren't doing the training that makes stronger punches or kicks. A person that does bodybuilding and boxing would fall in the same category. The bodybuilding isn't the thing that is making his punches stronger it's the boxing technique that is helping the punching power.

To me weight training is different than bodybuilding. To me Weight training is the activity of lifting weights to specifically help in a specific activity or motion. Chinese Martial artists have always done weight training, but they lifted weights for the purpose of being stronger and faster in their martial art. Bodybuilders just build muscles for the sake of being huge with muscles. Some body builders incorporate functional weight training as a way to balance out their primary focus which is to get big.

This is why I stated that building up muscles through bodybuilding and not "Building up muscles through weight training."
I don't disagree with your comments, just clarifying mine.

Thanks for clarifications! Always good to know if someone has a different view. Looks like we are on the same page.

All I would say is, and this is not in argument to your comments, is that a large bloke by dint of sheer size can sure deliver a hell of a wallop if he connects and gets his mass behind his strike...this is of course different to the fundamentals of "power", being force x velocity and as you say an equation of strength and speed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's also the issue with adrenaline and the taking of alcohol and/or drugs that affect pain threshold. However someone with a more scientific mind than mine will have to explain the technicalities! I know though that adrenaline is very good at masking pain from experience.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure what is being asked. Relatively speaking to equally trained Martial artists - the much bigger more muscular person paired against a lighter/smaller opponent is going get hurt less and able to inflict more pain on the smaller opponent. This goes to breaking bones as well.

However, drop them both from three story building and I am not sure a muscular big guy or normal trim guy are gong to experience much different bone breakage or pain. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All I would say is, and this is not in argument to your comments, is that a large bloke by dint of sheer size can sure deliver a hell of a wallop if he connects and gets his mass behind his strike...this is of course different to the fundamentals of "power", being force x velocity and as you say an equation of strength and speed.
I agree with that because that's the same formula I use for when a person hits the ground. lol. A cat with it's legs tide dropped from 10 feet isn't going to suffer the same injuries as an elephant dropped from 10 feet. This is why it doesn't hurt when toddlers jump on their parents who are laying down don't hurt.

Mass will still play a role of creating the force provided that the person can move the mass at a significant speed.. A person that weighs 150 pounds is going to have a harder punch than a person weighing 600 pounds. That same 600 pound person if thrown to the ground is going to have more damage than a 150 pound person simply because the skeleton will absorb some of the impact from weight. The OP's question are very general so I'm sure there will be even more perspectives to come

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mass will still play a role of creating the force provided that the person can move the mass at a significant speed.. A person that weighs 150 pounds is going to have a harder punch than a person weighing 600 pounds. That same 600 pound person if thrown to the ground is going to have more damage than a 150 pound person simply because the skeleton will absorb some of the impact from weight. The OP's question are very general so I'm sure there will be even more perspectives to come

What we can't say though is who will feel the more pain, damage doesn't always equal the amount of pain felt. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What we can't say though is who will feel the more pain, damage doesn't always equal the amount of pain felt. :)
That's true. People have different thresholds for pain. Pain is one of those things that isn't based on body mass, size, or gender.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That would make sense. A person with more muscle around their bones may be more able to withstand heavy blows than a scarecrow, since muscle tends to be a bit more dense than fat and skin.

Size always matters. Never let anyone tell you differently.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size always matters.

Only to men.......

The question from the OP though is who feels the most pain not how many blows someone can take. What size you are has nothing to do with how much pain you can withstand.

Latest Discussions