People that are skinny vs someone bigger, more likely to break bones or feel pain?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with that because that's the same formula I use for when a person hits the ground. lol. A cat with it's legs tide dropped from 10 feet isn't going to suffer the same injuries as an elephant dropped from 10 feet. This is why it doesn't hurt when toddlers jump on their parents who are laying down don't hurt.

Mass will still play a role of creating the force provided that the person can move the mass at a significant speed.. A person that weighs 150 pounds is going to have a harder punch than a person weighing 600 pounds. That same 600 pound person if thrown to the ground is going to have more damage than a 150 pound person simply because the skeleton will absorb some of the impact from weight. The OP's question are very general so I'm sure there will be even more perspectives to come

There are all kinds of effects that cause injury in falling. The cushion of the impacted area for example.

You fall into a bed in your room or trip on floor in your room and down you go. Even jumping on soft nice pillows can cause injury.

You fall into a bed of downy feathers, you might survive. You fall onto a hard cement sidewalk, not so likely.

And how you fall also affects the outcome. You fall first on your head, not good. You fall splayed out onto your back, which distributes the impact force over a larger area, that might be better.

You fall on your head really bad, you fall on your side or arms okay, you fall on you back better. More surface area if you fall on you back to distributes the impact force.

We can survive an impact of about 60 Gs to 70 Gs.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That would make sense. A person with more muscle around their bones may be more able to withstand heavy blows than a scarecrow, since muscle tends to be a bit more dense than fat and skin.

Size always matters. Never let anyone tell you differently.

More muscle around their bones may withstand heavy blows but it will not help with pain.

I'm sure nerve endings and their sensitivity UNDER the skin, more than the mass under the skin which is superficial to the nerves themselves more pain person feel.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also keep in mind some one overweight or underweight could be easier to break bones if some one got punched, kicked or thrown them to ground really hard.

Some one who is anorexic or borderline anorexic that get punched, kicked or thrown them to ground hard easier to break bones.

Some martial arts schools may not even allow anorexic or borderline anorexic people in.

Likewise really big bodybuilders like Jay Cutler https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Jay_Cutler_Aug_2014.JPG

Or really obese person 300 pounds or more. The martial arts schools may not even allow them in.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Likewise really big bodybuilders like Jay Cutler
My school likes to have people like that to join. For us we see his size as being an opportunity to learn how to deal with people his size. He would be a bonus to our school to practice things like chin na, flowing with punching, and getting over any intimidation of being hit by someone that looks like him.

We do however turn away obese people who are clearly too overweight to do our training. Our training is very demanding and our fear is that they will either have a heart attack or that their weight would shift during forms in a way that their joints can't handle. We have had really skinny teens but they weren't anorexic. One teen was skinny but his bones were really hard. I'm in my 40's and his blocks were painful, all I could feel was bone. The teen was actually my inspiration to make my forearms hard like metal pipes.

There are just so many factors in play. I originally thought that the OP was asking because he/she is skinny.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All I can say is I am subject to pain as much as anyone despite my size. But because I am bigger (both muscle and some fat) it is harder (not impossible) for my fellow normal sized (or smaller) class mates to hurt or bruise me and even successfully implement some locks on me. Even when trying to control my own power, I have left bruises and minor pain on my partners - which I HATE doing because then others wont spare with me - and I am not into hurting folks - so I take the power level even down farther. That said -good solid punch to the face, or knee cap, or hits to the small joints like hands or foot/ankle and I can be hurt as easy as anyone.But when you got 100 lbs on some folks or more...there is a difference.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only to men.......

So women don't have to worry about being attacked by a man? :confused:

The question from the OP though is who feels the most pain not how many blows someone can take. What size you are has nothing to do with how much pain you can withstand.

From getting kicked or punched.

If you're a scrawney guy facing a muscle-bound monster, your potential for injury or even death is quite a bit higher than his.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More muscle around their bones may withstand heavy blows but it will not help with pain.

If the muscles are providing a natural barrier to impact, then it's going to take a higher amount of force to inflict pain. It's like hitting an out of shape guy in his flabby stomach, versus hitting an in-shape guy with rock hard abs.

I'm sure nerve endings and their sensitivity UNDER the skin, more than the mass under the skin which is superficial to the nerves themselves more pain person feel.

Again, we're talking about striking here. A scrawny person needs a high level of technique to match the power of a muscle bound individual. This is why people say that technique and skill can overcome a strength advantage, but strength will always be an advantage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are big being thrown seems to mess them up more.probably physics or something.

If you got a machine that swings a hammer at the same rate at a guy with more mass. Fat muscle whatever. And a guy with less mass.

The more mass guy would probably be able to take harder impacts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is I am subject to pain as much as anyone despite my size. But because I am bigger (both muscle and some fat) it is harder (not impossible) for my fellow normal sized (or smaller) class mates to hurt or bruise me and even successfully implement some locks on me. Even when trying to control my own power, I have left bruises and minor pain on my partners - which I HATE doing because then others wont spare with me - and I am not into hurting folks - so I take the power level even down farther. That said -good solid punch to the face, or knee cap, or hits to the small joints like hands or foot/ankle and I can be hurt as easy as anyone.But when you got 100 lbs on some folks or more...there is a difference.

We insist that our big guys train with more importance on technique than strength, not to save the 'weaker' ones though it is good for them to train with people stronger than them. We insist on technique because when they meet an opponent that fighter is going be the same size and strength as them. So many people use their strength in training and muscle their way though sparring but they forget they will be matched in competition like for like. Their strength is negated and they will only have techniques to fall back on, if they are used to forcing smaller less strong opponents to submit they are in for a shock when it doesn't work.
Powering down is good for you, it makes you think about what you are doing, you can as you say easily punch them out but faced with someone your size and strength or even bigger then if that's all you rely on you are stuck.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure any good school wouldn't just start you on throws immidiatly in ways that may break bones. No I'm sure they would teach you well so this could be avoided regardless of weight size

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's true. People have different thresholds for pain. Pain is one of those things that isn't based on body mass, size, or gender.
Actually, pain thresholds do correlate broadly on gender. I referenced some of the studies above but the short of it is, on the bell, women tend to have lower pain thresholds than men. Naturally, there are outliers for both groups on either side of their respective bells which can frequently place representatives for one in front of or behind representatives for the other.

I know that it's politically correct to pretend that there are no gender differences and all are equal, but that's simply not dealing with reality and a disservice to people seeking advice or information.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We insist that our big guys train with more importance on technique than strength, not to save the 'weaker' ones though it is good for them to train with people stronger than them. We insist on technique because when they meet an opponent that fighter is going be the same size and strength as them. So many people use their strength in training and muscle their way though sparring but they forget they will be matched in competition like for like. Their strength is negated and they will only have techniques to fall back on, if they are used to forcing smaller less strong opponents to submit they are in for a shock when it doesn't work.
Powering down is good for you, it makes you think about what you are doing, you can as you say easily punch them out but faced with someone your size and strength or even bigger then if that's all you rely on you are stuck.
I would say that about 90% of Jow Ga stuff doesn't work if the technique is wrong. We often tell students to worry less about hitting hard and focus more on technique. The power will come once technique is correct. It's good that you make sure that they understand the importance of technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure any good school wouldn't just start you on throws immidiatly in ways that may break bones. No I'm sure they would teach you well so this could be avoided regardless of weight size
yeah that would be a good way to get a few court dates via law suits. lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences between genders when it comes to pain is a bit of a minefield though, Men 'feel more pain after major ops' - BBC News

Dr Andreas Sandner-Kiesling, from the Medical University of Graz in Austria, said: "The influence of gender is a key issue in medicine.
The gender differences on pain perception are still heavily disputed, both in experimental and clinical fields
."

Dr Beverly Collett, a consultant in pain management and anaesthesia at the University Hospital of Leicester NHS Trust, said: "The study titillates and makes you want to ask more questions, but doesn't allow you to probe it.

"Which procedures were classed as major surgery? How old were they? That will have an effect on sex hormones. And pain will be dependent on the parts of the body being biopsied."

She said women would report pain when heat was applied to the skin before men did, but that differences in pain perception were smaller than animal tests would suggest.

She said there was also a psychological component to pain, and men were known to "increase their ability to resist pain" when treated by young attractive female nurses compared with unattractive old male ones.

Meanwhile entrenched social values from childhood - boys told to get up after a fall, while girls were kissed better - also affected pain perception, she said.

"There's been a lot of dispute about pain in men and women, and this study does not clarify the issue."

'Hugely variable'
Dr Edmund Keogh, a pain researcher at the University of Bath, commented: "There might be a difference between how men and women respond to analgesics, we don't know yet, we need to have lots more research."

He added that the overall picture on gender differences in pain was unclear: "The results are fairly inconsistent - some studies find differences, some don't and there's a lot of variability between them."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, pain thresholds do correlate broadly on gender. I referenced some of the studies above but the short of it is, on the bell, women tend to have lower pain thresholds than men. Naturally, there are outliers for both groups on either side of their respective bells which can frequently place representatives for one in front of or behind representatives for the other.

I know that it's politically correct to pretend that there are no gender differences and all are equal, but that's simply not dealing with reality and a disservice to people seeking advice or information.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I don't know if its a gender thing as much as cultural thing. Most women aren't taught to have that same durability that men have. Many cultures frown upon girls who are tomboys out in the street playing football or wrestling in the grass. The more bumps and bruises that a child learns to handle as a kid the better that child is able to deal with pain as an adult. When an 8 year old daughter is hurt most parents will comfort her. When an 8 year old son gets hurts, the mother will comfort him, but the dad will respond with something like "walk it off" if the injury is not severe. I'm also guilty of this with females. If a 30 year old man were to fall in the street, I would ask if he was ok, and probably only ask that. If it is a woman then I would ask if she's ok, and then maybe say "can't you walk" and I would comfort her. I think it's this role and expectation of men are supposed to be tough that helps men to deal with pain better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many women are also taught not to show pain, either through embarrassment or because of cultural issues when it's period pain or what is called 'women's problems', it's still not done to talk about this in many cultures which sadly means often such problems are missed by medical staff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many women are also taught not to show pain, either through embarrassment or because of cultural issues when it's period pain or what is called 'women's problems', it's still not done to talk about this in many cultures which sadly means often such problems are missed by medical staff.
Very true.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
She said there was also a psychological component to pain, and men were known to "increase their ability to resist pain" when treated by young attractive female nurses compared with unattractive old male ones.
Given the results of the "cursing and swearing" study, this doesn't surprise me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most recent studies attempt to control for socialization issues and yet still find differences.

It's like Strength and Muscle Mass studies. Yes, there's overlap, but one gender floats more to one side than the other.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk