People Please

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of your greatest mistakes while in the ring. I mean I remember my son was fighting a guy a couple of years ago and was falling and at the time he just through his leg up and it Ko'ed the other fighter. It looked like he was tripping and just said might as well fall with the leg going up for a kick, he said it was planned but it really was not. The other coach said how long was he training that kick and I said just a few times and it was true he has fallen over those big *** feet a couple of times, he was like 10 and was wearing a size 11 shoe.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lowering my hands.

Oops. [cue the Britney Spears song, Oops I Did It Again]

My story: I got clobbered years and years ago when I was a young man with more hormones than good sense. A pretty girl walked into the dojang and I turned to look at her in the middle of a sparring match! My nickname at the dojang for months after that was "Dawg" short for ... well, I'll let you guess at that.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once TKO'd my opponent (and was disqualified for it) with a focus hand.

I was chambering my right punch after I downward hook kick. As I did so, my opponent (who was a shorter than me) rushed in. As I drew my punch back on the right side my (and this is important) already EXTENDED left arm moved foward since the hip on that side rotated forward.

To this day, I can't convince anyone that it wasn't a "punch."

All anyone saw (or sees when they view the video) is my fist meeting his face.

Sigh. Fist meeting face notwithstanding, the body mechanics of a focusing hand and punch are completely different and my intent was chambering right hand for a punch, not striking him with the left.

Ah well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

There was the time in a kickboxing match that I heard SOMEBODY say "STOP" so I stopped.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the referee telling us to stop... so my opponent clocked me but good!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I once TKO'd my opponent (and was disqualified for it) with a focus hand.

I was chambering my right punch after I downward hook kick. As I did so, my opponent (who was a shorter than me) rushed in. As I drew my punch back on the right side my (and this is important) already EXTENDED left arm moved foward since the hip on that side rotated forward.

To this day, I can't convince anyone that it wasn't a "punch."

All anyone saw (or sees when they view the video) is my fist meeting his face.

Sigh. Fist meeting face notwithstanding, the body mechanics of a focusing hand and punch are completely different and my intent was chambering right hand for a punch, not striking him with the left.

Ah well.

HAHAHAHAHA, reminds me of a grading match I had once. For some reason this other lady was hell bend for leather. rushing in and nothing short of FORCE could have shaken her out of her trance. The whole match I kept one hand out to check her distance....(like Trapper in MASH...)

(but I really want to see the video)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our more expereinced competitiors was at Nationals back a few years ago. He was in a tough match but was holding his own. However, he kept "pushing" with his hands (puttin ghands on the hogu to gauge distance. Bad habit of his. His father, a big ex-football player viking of a man, stands up and yells "NICK!" just as the ref starts the match up again after anothe rpenalty infraction. Nick turns and looks at his Dad in the stands....POW! Clean shot ot the head....match over.

Peace,
Erik

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of our more expereinced competitiors was at Nationals back a few years ago. He was in a tough match but was holding his own. However, he kept "pushing" with his hands (puttin ghands on the hogu to gauge distance. Bad habit of his. His father, a big ex-football player viking of a man, stands up and yells "NICK!" just as the ref starts the match up again after anothe rpenalty infraction. Nick turns and looks at his Dad in the stands....POW! Clean shot ot the head....match over.

Peace,
Erik
Well, I bet Nick had a good Christmas that year :D

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are some of your greatest mistakes while in the ring. I mean I remember my son was fighting a guy a couple of years ago and was falling and at the time he just through his leg up and it Ko'ed the other fighter. It looked like he was tripping and just said might as well fall with the leg going up for a kick, he said it was planned but it really was not. The other coach said how long was he training that kick and I said just a few times and it was true he has fallen over those big *** feet a couple of times, he was like 10 and was wearing a size 11 shoe.

Not keping my hands up while a tornado kick came right into my mouth.

Loweing my gurd too soon afther sambonim yelled coma!!! and my oponent aparently didin't herd the comand (coma) and broke my nose with a spining hook kick.

Both cases I had to had surgery.

Manny