PDAs

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can give me some help. I want to buy a PDA, but I have some slightly different requirements.

I used to have a Palm IIIe, but it died years ago, and I never replaced it. What triggered replacing it is that I am taking a trip this summer, and would like to have a device that can do the following things:

• allow me to read eBooks (I like to read on planes and things, but I don't want to bring a lot of books with me - this was actually what triggered looking for a new device), or at least read .txt files - I have a lot of books from Project Gutenberg [http://www.gutenberg.org/] in text format that I could load... if I could find a device to load them on)
  • log into the 'net for basic services (mostly to check my bank balance and transfer funds) - preferably wireless (bluetooth, maybe? - and if can log into the net, must be able to run an appropriate anti-virus)
  • use it after my trip for standard PDA uses - calendar, address book, etc.
  • if possible, transfer and store digital images directly from a camera
  • if possible, store and play music (pretty low on the list)
Would like:
  • expandable and/or removable memory
  • ability to enter data directly (keypad or stylus)
  • reasonable memory life
  • under $400 (not necessarily including extra memory)
Don't want:
  • phone capability (for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with my cell plan, which I'm not interested in changing)
  • an iPod
    • you can't save any significant amount of text on them (I went into the local Apple store to check this - ~500 characters/memo, 99 memos max, despite the 30 gig memory)
    • can't enter data except through a computer... except that, with a $30 accessory, you can download a digital camera
    • music capability is really not what I'm after
Any recommendations/comparisons or sources for recommendations/comparisions would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just got a Cingular 8125 Pocket PC. It's a phone, a pocket comuter that takes miniSD cards, an MP3 player, a 1.3 megapixel digital camera, and it has built-in WiFi as wel as the ability to connect to the Internet over the Cingular network (an unlimited data transfer billing package is avaliable).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but it's the choice I made. I don't do PDA's anymore.

I was looking at PDAs and PDA phones, and exactly what they charge for throughput. Personally I found the data rates to be a bit steep, and the user interface to be a bit cumbersome. At the same time, I geek for a living and am rather dependent on my software.

Ultimately I decided on a Verizon Wireless card for internet access and bought a a GPS module for $99.

So, yes, it means carrying around a laptop, but I've got full access to the internet at broadband speeds, with real applications and a real keyboard, and doubles as one helluva good navigation system for the car. Nothing like a route splayed out on a 15" TFT. :D

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I have a laptop (in fact, I'm on it now) - I just don't want to take it with me to Great Britain, which is where I'm going, because I wouldn't want to carry it around with me, and I would be nervous about leaving it in a hotel room. It's really the book reading I want (airplanes are horribly boring, and I like to read at night to help me wind down and sleep); I just figured if I was going to buy a book reader, it might as well be something I could use later... otherwise, I'll just go to the used book store, buy a bunch of $0.50 books, and leave them as I finish them... but I'd really rather not use my luggage space for books, which is what started this in the first place. Otherwise, I'd agree with you completely.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Integrated Phone PDA's are the way of the future BUT I love my Palm Zire 71, has a Camera built in, uses SD cards, I read ebooks and PDF's with it and I watch Videos on it using the freeware prg TCPMP

I got rid of my cellphone a while back due to lack of use ;-)

Mrs has a Symbian based Nokia 3650 which can play videos and music and is a full function PDA, I'd guess the newer 3660 is similar

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Treo 650!
I have it and love it to death. I even watch tv on it....yes I said it...TV!!!
Really it has all that you are looking for. You can always purchase more programs for it and it takes SD cards.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I went shopping intended to get a Treo 650 -- my Cingular 8125 is smaller and does more. ;)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
I went shopping intended to get a Treo 650 -- my Cingular 8125 is smaller and does more. ;)
What more does it do? Wi-Fi? That is about it. Everything else sounds about the same. :D Except for the 8125 is smaller. However, the screen on the Treo 650 is small enough, any smaller and the movies wouldn't be worth watching.