site building resources

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, I'm trying to take over the day to day affairs of my dojo website but have never dealt with maintaining a website before. My question is what are the best resources for a complete newbie when it comes to building and/or maintaining a website? I'm a relatively quick study and don't have a problem experimenting with new things. Books, websites, anything would be of great help. What program do I need on my computer to do this and so forth.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My toolbox is basically DreamWeaver and Photoshop.

Depending on the complexity of the site, and some server concerns, you can easily go the more affordable route of FrontPage and PaintShop Pro, or GIMP (free, but a little geeky at times)

Also, you can check out http://www.rustaz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152 as I think we had a similar discussion there, but can't remember exactly at the moment.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
Guys, I'm trying to take over the day to day affairs of my dojo website but have never dealt with maintaining a website before. My question is what are the best resources for a complete newbie when it comes to building and/or maintaining a website? I'm a relatively quick study and don't have a problem experimenting with new things. Books, websites, anything would be of great help. What program do I need on my computer to do this and so forth.

depends if those updates have to run from a database or not (which i doubt).
a very good resource is always www.w3schools.com
look at their HTML tutorials.
if you want go ahead and tell me what your website is so i can find out if you only need to know HTML or know something else.

the process is usually:
1. FTP into the site's directory
2. download a local copy of the files on your machine
4. edit the HTML files
5. FTP back the files into the site's directory.

PM me if you need more specific information on that.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
My toolbox is basically DreamWeaver and Photoshop.

Depending on the complexity of the site, and some server concerns, you can easily go the more affordable route of FrontPage and PaintShop Pro, or GIMP (free, but a little geeky at times)

Also, you can check out http://www.rustaz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152 as I think we had a similar discussion there, but can't remember exactly at the moment.
speaking of which, do you notice that a HTML table in dreamweaver looks different from the same table browsed in, say GoLive, or Visual Studio?
these tools are annoying as much as they are useful. you probably need at least 2 tools if you want to keep sane when developing!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
theletch1 said:

I can tell you one thing Bob builds a mean website and makes it user friendly, if I can use it anybody can. Check with the man about one for you. I recommend Bob Hubbard we all know him.
Terry

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The website is http://www.roanokeaikido.com/ . It was developed by a former student of the dojo. I like the way it looks and would like to be able to make regular updates and add video from time to time.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah!
the site is database driven. you need to know ASP (Active Server Pages), and whatever database you have (SQL). (those you can learn from www.w3schools.com)

did the person develop a admin page (a simple page were you just simply go in and enter the news) or do you have to go into othe database and add records manually. that you have to ask that person

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like it uses a standard content management system.
Says "Powered by SOOP Portal" at the bottom, and thats a CMS. Best bet, if you plan on continuing to use it is to visit SOOPs site, look through their support forum and see what you can do with it.

Its and ASP based system (ie Microsoft) and we're a Linux shop (PHP) so unfortunately can't help much. I just don't do ASP at this time. :(

If you wanted a standard non-CMS site, or were looking to convert to a PHP based solution, I can probably be of more help to you.

And, Terry, thank you for the praise. :)

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The original designer is a member on this forum so I hope I can get him by PM 'cause I don't have his phone number anymore. Why do I get the feeling I'm about to learn ALOT of new stuff?:idunno:

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Try htmlgoodies.com; it's what I used to learn.

The "For Dummies" books can be helpful too, for an offline resource. :)

Latest Discussions