Pasadena Group Photo

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to Doc. It was also answered by Mr. Hale, who is one of the straightest shooters you're going to meet. If he thought he had done something in poor form, he would be the first to admit it and apologize, regardless of who it miffed or why. Knowing this about him, I waited for his reply, which eventually did come.

That was all I needed.

Dave

I have nothing but respect for Mr. Hale, I'm talking about your reference to Mr. Mitchell and the teaching in Mr. Parkers Schools. The picture it between them and avpkenpo.

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hale we have talked so please do not think this is towards you.

I can't talk about things that I was not there for.

OP
Rich_Hale

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hale we have talked so please do not think this is towards you.

I can't talk about things that I was not there for.

Not a problem my friend. As you said we have talked about the art and people in it and have a mutual understanding that no one is perfect, least of all ourselves.

OP
Rich_Hale

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now I suspect the real intention of this attack was Dr. Chapel's short repudiation of the statement that Mr. Mitchell had taught or run one of Mr. Parker's schools. If that's the problem adress it directly.

Jeff

I agree 100%

I know we're all kind of used to Doc answering questions in great detail with lots of history and interesting information, but you should also take notice to when he is correcting an incorrect statement.

When he does this he is more likely to say something like, NO, WRONG, or INCORRECT!

If I had been in that photo and someone had said, Didn't Mr. Hale teach at the Pasadena school, Doc would very likely write back the same single word answer of "WRONG".

Not that Doc has anyting against me, because were buddies. In fact we're family . . . admitidly I am the white sheep in the family, but family all the same.

Doc would simply be correcting an incorrect statement - quickly and efficiently.

What I do find funny about all this is, as people, we find single word answers like, NO, WRONG, and INCORRECT to be somewhat rude and uncaring, but single word answers like YES, RIGHT, AND CORRECT, seem to be prefectaly acceptable and appreciated.

People . . . what odd creatures we are.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wait a minute! You're uh, white?

:lfao::lfao::lfao::lfao::lfao:

Thanks, Doc C!

It's been a l-o-n-g day... and I really needed that chuckle... badly! :ultracool

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now I suspect the real intention of this attack was Dr. Chapel's short repudiation of the statement that Mr. Mitchell had taught or run one of Mr. Parker's schools. If that's the problem adress it directly.

Jeff

Wow where did that come from?

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow where did that come from?

I would suspect it was the timing of your comment about a picture that dozens of people have (Side Note: I'm in Maryland I've seen several "originals" of it). It just coincidentally came after Doc uncerimoniously negated the idea that Mr. Mitchell ever ran a school for Mr. Parker. Doc says "No, Mr. Mitchell never ran a school for Mr. Parker". A few posts later a "Mitchell Supporter" shows up demanding that the picture be removed and credit given to the "owner" of the picture. Being rude and wrong on several counts didn't help but the timing alone "suggests" there was a motive. Whether there really was one is 1) something only you know and 2) largely irrelevant to the original topic.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
I innocently made a comment awhile ago about Mr. Mitchell teaching at the school in the picture and was abruptly told I was wrong.

Not True. You asked a straight forward specific question, to which I gave you a direct answer.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I innocently made a comment awhile ago about Mr. Mitchell teaching at the school in the picture and was abruptly told I was wrong.

Ummmmm No. You made no comment. You asked a short "yes or no" question (and asked it three times in three different ways) and received a short answer in return. Did you want a lengthy answer as to why? Because you didn't ask why. Summary:

1) Mr. Mitchell taught at the school in the photo RIGHT?
answer: WRONG

2) What school did he teach at then?
answer: none sir (notice the sir as in respect)

3) So Mr. Mitchel never taught at or ran a school for Mr. Parker?

The problem appears to be you asked a question and didn't like the answer you received because the answer contradicted what you were told by your teacher. That's fine to disagree with the answer itself but the "manner" in which you received the answer reflected the "manner" in which the question was asked. No more and no less. This internet sensitivity is getting....nevermind some things will never change with people seeming to be looking to be offended and all..

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Without emoticons (smiles), or stating your emotion with a bracket [laughs] there is NO WAY to convey anything even remotly resembling the emotions that you have when writing something on an Internet forum...

As someone who used to moderate a Locksmithing website... and who belongs to several different forums... I can tell you this a universal issue...

My suggestions?

1. Pause... and really consider the information you're reading BEFORE your reply... this gives the blood-pressure time to regulate (if it's elevated).

2. Signify, in some way, the emotions that you're attempting to convey... whether with a :soapbox: :tantrum: :wah: or a :D or just something simple that doesn't rely on codes like [Kicks person in the butt]... ANYTHING to convey where you're comming from with your comment...

The Internet, and forums such as MT are NOT three-dimensional... so you won't get your point across properly (IMHO) unless you take these extra steps...

Remember... "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"

With respect... :asian:

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

kenpotroop

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ummmmm No. You made no comment. You asked a short "yes or no" question (and asked it three times in three different ways) and received a short answer in return. Did you want a lengthy answer as to why? Because you didn't ask why. Summary:

1) Mr. Mitchell taught at the school in the photo RIGHT?
answer: WRONG

2) What school did he teach at then?
answer: none sir (notice the sir as in respect)

3) So Mr. Mitchel never taught at or ran a school for Mr. Parker?

The problem appears to be you asked a question and didn't like the answer you received because the answer contradicted what you were told by your teacher. That's fine to disagree with the answer itself but the "manner" in which you received the answer reflected the "manner" in which the question was asked. No more and no less. This internet sensitivity is getting....nevermind some things will never change with people seeming to be looking to be offended and all..

So why is it you have to answer for someone else when it was not asked to you. Mr. Chapel I'm sure can answer without you doing it for him. Like I said I believe my instructor. I just wanted to confirm the answer so I know who's full of BS I think I have the answer now since it only came from one person. I will talk about no more.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So why is it you have to answer for someone else when it was not asked to you. Mr. Chapel I'm sure can answer without you doing it for him. Like I said I believe my instructor. I just wanted to confirm the answer so I know who's full of BS I think I have the answer now since it only came from one person. I will talk about no more.
Out of curiosity, when and where do you believe mr. Mitchell taught? I wasn't there, but there are numerous people who can answer that simple question.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Dragondog1

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually, you all are doing very well. I was there so...I know you're right. I just posted this pic on my site (www.nakoakenpo.com). Brought back many memories. There was a comment about Jim Mitchell teaching there...well he did at one time. But when this picture was taking he WAS NOT (Mitchell's site has this pic and it says it was taken in '79 and he was the running the school...well he wasn't then and the pic is vintage 1981)... the people running the Pasadena school at that time was Frank Trejo, Paul Girard, and myself....you know.. that good looking guy seated front row and second from the left! (Ha!) And for a time...I DID live there...literally(as much as I hate to admit that)! I'm talking sleep on the mats, clean the school, sort out the mail for Frank and Mr. Parker, teach classes, etc.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thank you for displaying your ratiionale and feelings. You are of course entitled to your opinion even though you weren't there. And as far as where the BS lies, perhaps you should look a tad closer to home. My only displeasure is you took us through this cherade of seeking information, when if the answer didn't agree with what you were already told, it would be regarded as BS. Under these circumstances, why even ask the question (3 times). Clearly you were looking for comfirmation of what you thought you already knew. Unfortunately, to put it politely, you and your source of information are both incorrect. There are plenty of people around who can verify my answer, who were actually there. Having faith in an instructor is commendable. Having blind faith in anything and everything a man says, is stupid and dangerous and smacks of a cult-like mentality.

Dragondog1

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok gang...here's the list of names that I can recall at this vintage 1981 Black Belt testing (in no particular order):

Jim Mitchell, Paul Dye, Ron Chapel, Lee Wedlake, Roger Meadows, Rick Huhges, Bernie Bernheim, Josh Furyua (sp?) Frank Trejo, John Conway Sr, John Conway Jr, Charlie Gonzales, John Murillo, Paul Casey, Ed Booze, Paul Girard, Steve Orcino (handsome dude!)

I along with Paul Girard assisted Frank in running the school at this time. Jim Mitchell was running a Parker Franchise school in San Diego. For a very short stint, Mitchell ran the Pasadena school in the mid-70's ...a very short stint. I know because I visited the school at that time.

Let's see...and I don't know who the hec owns that pic but its all over the net. I am glad its out there...I thought all remanents of that era had been destroyed. I have a copy of that pic and so does Frank Trejo on his site.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I posted simply because it's a public forum and I CHOSE to. My apologies if it offended you that I posted on a public forum (just as you did) and dared to have a different viewpoint than you. Just proves my point about people LOOKING to be offended and things not changing....

Salute none the less.

Latest Discussions