Partner Training

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that vid an extract from a kata ? if so then what is the defense he is mounting and against what attack? Would that not put it into context.

I agree moving backwards is not the only option by far back again I feel that the leap in the vid would maybe make more sense if it were actually in context
Imagine someone is swinging a base ball bat or some edged weapon at you, suddenly being 8ft further away seems like a good idea, no?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine someone is swinging a base ball bat or some edged weapon at you, suddenly being 8ft further away seems like a good idea, no?

I get that , all I'm saying is that on that short extract it could be that if it part of a kata that it the person is leaping back to avoid, I was just meaning that in context leaping can be a good option and should not be dismissed.

Yes a ball bat or the like being swung you gotta get out the way for sure. is leaping the answer possibly is entering the answer maybe it all depends on the person and many other variables

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I get that , all I'm saying is that on that short extract it could be that if it part of a kata that it the person is leaping back to avoid, I was just meaning that in context leaping can be a good option and should not be dismissed.

Yes a ball bat or the like being swung you gotta get out the way for sure. is leaping the answer possibly is entering the answer maybe it all depends on the person and many other variables
Well yes, it depends on the person being able to jump for a start, people generally jump out of the wa y of fast moving objects like say cars Or a run away buffalo, it seems to have evolutionary provenance,

Stepping in to a bat already in motion , traveling at close to the speed of sound, doesn't sound as good as getting out of the way, to me at least

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find these clips in another forum.

- It doesn't depend on arm contact arm.
- This training include footwork.
- It's much closer to a real fight.

But the "wrist grabbing" training is still missing here.

What's your opinion on this kind of training?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I actually thought that's a really cool exercise KFW. I'm not as experienced as alotnod the guys here, and obviously the exercise has its limitations, but I would think it would help to develop alot of hand-eye coordination, a kinesthetic awareness and getting used to the feel of movements from your opponent rather than just relying on sight. I don't think it's meant to be a true representation of a fight, but it helps to develop certain qualities. Just like most training drills.

I'd love to do more exercises like this. In a seminar I went to by Sensei Jesse Enkamp he got us to do a drill like this (but stationary) and I felt it was really beneficial. Really helped connected with more flowing movements and not being so rigid. If you were too rigid your opponent could flow around you easily.

Latest Discussions