How would you follow up?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
at the 3:33 minute mark, He says
whatever follow up you want to do from here is up to you.

Encounter scenario, you recognize this guy as the guy on TV who escaped from a maximum security prison, and he got you into a fight.
He already declared his intent to kill you.

And you managed to put him in that position using this sequence of techniques. (we are making the presumption that you have this drill down cold)

My answer...
immediately, drop down into an armbar, and break the elbow across my pelvis, then rotate the arm until he is in the prone position, twisting it until his wrist is between his shoulder blades.
Next, take the back pinning the arm below my thigh.

[He probably is screaming in agony at this point, if he doesn't pass out]

Followed by grabbing his head and cranking it back towards me until his neck is so far back that his throat is open for a RNC secured by a gable grip.
(Blood flow choke until KO.)

and ending with a call to 911.

What say you folks?
extra points for creativity.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
first call 911 before lol ask it easier to engage the bad guys when you know the cavalry or on the way lol

seriously me ... i'd look to engage on my terms in as much as lead him to an attack where I could engage and hopefully destroy a joint (elbow wrist shoulder)

Personally I wouldn't try to grapple as that not my strong area I would look to destroy a joint and pin from there, ok I would deliver a few atemi but not as knockout more as to open for the destruction and pin

All styles have different approaches

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did a belly to belly suplex on a guy fresh out of prison and wound up in that position.

He apologised so I helped him back up, shook his hand and sent him on his way.

Otherwise twister I suppose. Or just anything from Eric paulson.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first bit, down deflect the jab then party the cross, might do that.

But then I'd be looking at reverse turning kick (spinning heel) to the temple, then pressing kick to the kidney.

I'm not getting involved with touching and grappling, if he's on the run he's probably all sweaty and smelly, ew.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After throwing him, I wouldn't let go of his right arm. Drop knee into ribs, rise up, grapevine my left leg around his arm and behind his neck. Using his arm as a lever, drop to the ground, kicking my left leg and rolling, which will have him face plant as I roll back up into a knelling position, still hanging onto his arm, which I now have in an armbar position. Break arm, stomp on head as I exit. Stomp and restomp the groin.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After throwing him, I wouldn't let go of his right arm. Drop knee into ribs, rise up, grapevine my left leg around his arm and behind his neck. Using his arm as a lever, drop to the ground, kicking my left leg and rolling, which will have him face plant as I roll back up into a knelling position, still hanging onto his arm, which I now have in an armbar position. Break arm, stomp on head as I exit. Stomp and restomp the groin.

Not letting go of the arm during the throw was a thought I had as well.
I like the way you think.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Encounter scenario, you recognize this guy as the guy on TV who escaped from a maximum security prison, and he got you into a fight.

And you managed to put him in that position using this sequence of techniques. (we are making the presumption that you have this drill down cold)

My answer...
immediately, drop down into an armbar, and break the elbow across my pelvis, then rotate the arm until he is in the prone position, twisting it until his wrist is between his shoulder blades.

Followed by grabbing his head and cranking it back towards me until his neck is so far back that his throat is open for a RNC secured by a gable grip.

What say you folks?
Meh. It doesn't work like that in real life.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One option my Master gives the kids in class:

Yell "I don't wanna fight!"

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh. It doesn't work like that in real life.

I think the idea is not to be locked into one idea of thinking "from here, I armbar." But instead "from here, I can armbar, I can RNC, I can palmstrike or knee drop the ribs, I can use wristlock to do a standing armbar, I can run away, I can..." you get the idea.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

My answer...

What say you folks?
People seem to think causing serious bodily injury is best here, just because he is an escaped convict doesn't Entitle you to beat him to death once he is no longer a danger to you, and quite probably illegal where ever your from.

What would I do ?ID tell him he is under citizens arrest and advise him to stay down for his own safely, if he tried to stand up iD Toe end him in the kidneys, that should Put an end to that idea

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People seem to think causing serious bodily injury is best here, just because he is an escaped convict doesn't Entitle you to beat him to death once he is no longer a danger to you, and quite probably illegal where ever your from.

What would I do ?ID tell him he is under citizens arrest and advise him to stay down for his own safely, if he tried to stand up iD Toe end him in the kidneys, that should Put an end to that idea

Well, that isn't the scenario, thank you for playing.

The reasonable man test... I know he is an escaped murderer, and has made it clear that he intends to kill me.

There are quite a few jurisdictions (here in the USA), where this is enough to lawfully escalate to lethal force in a fight.

My answer to the scenario was to break one arm, and render him unconscious. Not kill him, after he was incapacitated.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One option my Master gives the kids in class:

Yell "I don't wanna fight!"
Inventive, but unlikely to end his agression.
Today, the average North American traditional funeral costs between $7,000 and$10,000. This price range includes the services at the funeral home, burial in a cemetery, and the installation of a headstone.

on the headstone were etched the words

"I don't want to fight!"

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did a belly to belly suplex on a guy fresh out of prison and wound up in that position.

He apologised so I helped him back up, shook his hand and sent him on his way.

Otherwise twister I suppose. Or just anything from Eric paulson.

That sounds painful, and effective.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The reasonable man test... I know he is an escaped murderer, and has made it clear that he intends to kill me.

There are quite a few jurisdictions (here in the USA), where this is enough to lawfully escalate to lethal force in a fight.

My answer to the scenario was to break one arm, and render him unconscious. Not kill him, after he was incapacitated.
You said he had escaped from max security not that he was a murder, but anyway, if I had seriously hurt every one who said they wanted to kill me, Id be in max security myself, you may ONLY wish to break an arm others are less charitable

You Have neutralise the threat, he is on the ground, he doesn't have a weapon, there is no legal justification in any common law jurisdictions, to further serious injure him, unless he( attempts) gets back up and becomes a threat again

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You said he had escaped from max security not that he was a murder, but anyway, if I had seriously hurt every one who said they wanted to kill me, Id be in max security myself, you may ONLY wish to break an arm others are less charitable

You Have neutralise the threat, he is on the ground, he doesn't have a weapon, there is no legal justification in any common law jurisdictions, to further serious injure him, unless he gets back up and becomes a threat again

Ah you are so right!... I meant to include His conviction as a murderer that in the scene. I just reread it. Well, it doesn't change my response to the scenario.

You get put in a maximum security prison because you have done something so bad, that regular prison is not an option.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If you an break an arm or destroy the joint then pain compliance may well achieve the desired effect as if need be after one joint proceed to the next joint I'm sure he'd get the message by then lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How would you follow up?

I was in that position once. My opponent dropped his elbow straight down on top of my heart. I got back up, suddenly everything turned into darkness. I fell back down again. I was almost killed that day.

Kick to the back of the head can be another effective finish move if you still want to maintain your mobility.

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You Have neutralise the threat, he is on the ground, he doesn't have a weapon, there is no legal justification in any common law jurisdictions, to further serious injure him, unless he( attempts) gets back up and becomes a threat again

I'm sorry but until the relevant law folks turned up I'd go for pain compliance then let him try and sue ...better of broke then dead and having on the headstone

"I thought I'd get sued if I hurt him more"

Latest Discussions