P90X and Kempo

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
things are going great. Starting week 8 wed: slipped into size 34/32 jeans last night. I could not believe it. I was hoping to maybe get into that size (34) by the end of it. I was a 32 in high school. 20 years ago. LOL so maybe a 32 is a goal... also lost a few more pound from the scale.

Hope all is well for everyone else.

Kosho

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Today is day 8 for me.

I'm down about 2 to 3 lbs on the scale.

No difference on the tape measure for chest or waist. My size 34 pants are feeling a bit looser though. My arms are 1/4" bigger.

_Don Flatt

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched part of an informercial for P90X last night...the martial arts style moves they showed briefly caught my eye. Looks like it requires a great deal of motivation.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched part of an informercial for P90X last night...the martial arts style moves they showed briefly caught my eye. Looks like it requires a great deal of motivation.

I have found that it requires a partner. For myself, I would probably not be able to stick with it if I did not have a partner.

But, you do get addicted quickly!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is a glowing testimonial for this product. I have been able to check out the Abs-Ripper-X part (the ~15 min abs program). I could not do it without taking breaks. I think Tony Horton is the man. He really describes these motions well.

I do think that it might have been better for him to say things like, "Don't you wuss out on me, you maggot, you keep knocking these out!" instead of, "if you need to take a break, go ahead", but he may fear being sued.

I am interested in the yoga-asana routine he has. 90 minutes is long, but he takes his time with the salutations, not going too fast, which I prefer. My back is not so young these days. I have not done that routine yet, but have looked at the tape (right -- no help that is!) I will hopefully do the yoga tomorrow morning.

If I could only do the yoga every morning, and the abs routine three times a week, I would be happy. That is a corruption of his program, but, hey, I'm a weird guy.

I definitely look forward to purchasing this product. A righteous personal trainer such as Tony Horton deserves no less. I am quite impressed, especially after hearing such good things about it on this thread!

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok another day gone... Here is a funny but true P90X story.

Tony says do not eat 1 hour before doing Ab ripper X "OK"

So I eat at 5:00 PM Pasta just a avg helping. at 7Pm I have my GJJ class for 1 hour went well. at 10:00 PM (5hours after eating) I do my chest and back video then AB ripper X. going into the 4th part of the work out. I get a cold clammy feeling and I run to the bathroom and up comes all my dinner. WOW that did not go well. LOL

SO here's a tip DO NOT EAT PASTA 5Hours before you do AB RIPPER X.

So I will do my ABs tonight.

Kosho

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Completed Day 1 today.
Excellent workout. I've never been a fan of pushups and pullups but this new equipment I picked up makes it much more interesting. The bodyRev pushup stands (aka The Perfect Pushup) take the strain off your wrists and they rotate so it seems to give your muscles a better workout than conventional pushups.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
broke new ground last night... got 50 chin/pull ups....not all at once but done in one sitting....may not sound like much...but for me...an awesome mile stone......wasn't that long ago I couldn't do 5 let alone 10....

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
broke new ground last night... got 50 chin/pull ups....not all at once but done in one sitting....may not sound like much...but for me...an awesome mile stone......wasn't that long ago I couldn't do 5 let alone 10....

50 may not sound like much?! Man, the most I've ever done in my whole life is 20, and only because I was kipping like a mofo. Great job, sounds like this system works well!

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
man 50 great work keep it up.... Things are going good here... still going at it...

kosho

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
This has got to be by far the best exercise program I've encountered...I'm into week 5 (we do sunday-> friday...sat is off night) The Ab Ripper....I hate it..but love it...(sound familiar)....has to be the toughest disk thus far.....the bicylcing exercises (#2 & 3) and worst is the next one I think the Frog thing......killer....Can't get my feet off the floor.......I'd rather do Yoga twice than this one.....tough, tough, tough.....great stuff.....

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

You're kidding, right? 50? That's awesome!

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're kidding, right? 50? That's awesome!
Thanks!!
This has been a great program so far.....can't wait to see the results at week 13......

There are three of us doing this at night and one of the guys is a madman...he keeps pushing....If it wasn't for him I would not have attempted 50....

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just for fun, I did legs, plyo, legs, then yoga the last four days.

It's not fun today. It is wierd, this feeling good yet being really sore at the same time.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am out of town this week at the American Industrial Hygiene Conference, so the workouts are not gonna happen regularly. What I am doing is Ab Ripper X every other day, and there is a Bikram Yoga Studio about two miles from the hotel. I should be able to hit 3 of those classes while I am here, and then at least one, maybe two while in Tulsa this weekend at Kyoshi Greene's Warrior Weekend Camp.

If I can do 4-5 Bikram classes in one week, that should either kill me or give me a decent boost. 90 minutes of yoga in a 106 degree room...

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave,

Good luck with that..

kosho

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am out of town this week at the American Industrial Hygiene Conference, so the workouts are not gonna happen regularly. What I am doing is Ab Ripper X every other day, and there is a Bikram Yoga Studio about two miles from the hotel. I should be able to hit 3 of those classes while I am here, and then at least one, maybe two while in Tulsa this weekend at Kyoshi Greene's Warrior Weekend Camp.

If I can do 4-5 Bikram classes in one week, that should either kill me or give me a decent boost. 90 minutes of yoga in a 106 degree room...
Suggestion if you travel alot...
I copied ALL the disks to my laptop...That way when I travel I take the push up bars and some bands with me and I continue to the workout....no dumbells for heavier exercise..but good enough...

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a question. I am what some would call a "hard gainer", I struggle to keep weight on. I am trying to gain about 25 lbs of muscle. I know it sounds like a big jump but I'm 5' 11" and barely 160 lbs right now. I work out, train, have a job thats physically demanding. I eat like a hog and do so as healthy as I can. Can this program help me with my goals? I figured it better to ask people using the program than take the word of adds. Any input would be great.

Thanks

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can not say, for me I started at 246.5 I am 5ft 11in I am now 220 and lost 5 inch in the pants area. was 39 going into 40 now a 34...

kosho

GradualProgression

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Too add mass the key is to take in more calories (through healthy means such as protein) than you burn. P90 seems very cardio intensive its designed to burn away layers of fat to expose the muscle underneath using fast paced circuit type workouts.

What you want to do is increase your protein(caloric) intake lay off cardio (except for warming up) and do low rep sets meaning workout with weights in which you burn out with 8-10 reps. Do 5 sets per exercise and within a couple of months you will notice a huge difference.

You will not lose too much cardio conditioning if you do this in 1 month intervals (1month limited cardio, 1 month regular cardio.) due to the fact that lifting as long as you breath correctly will give you some of the same effects as cardio.

Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions