P90X and Kempo

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ab ripper:
Completed the set for the first time last night.....DID OVER 349 AB RIPPER EXERCISES.....my wieght seems to be hovering in the 185 # area...but my body is changing drastically....This is an awesome program!!

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
great job. I love ab ripper X.

kosho

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to you guys for your achievements through this!
Thanks for the input. I have been bumping up my proteins and being a lot more careful about my hydration. I am gonna dig up a few articles I have seen here recently and start a new thread with links to get some feed back on cardio for martial artists, just curious as to how everyone else will feel about it.

Thanks again

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a question. I am what some would call a "hard gainer", I struggle to keep weight on. I am trying to gain about 25 lbs of muscle. I know it sounds like a big jump but I'm 5' 11" and barely 160 lbs right now. I work out, train, have a job thats physically demanding. I eat like a hog and do so as healthy as I can. Can this program help me with my goals? I figured it better to ask people using the program than take the word of adds. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Been there done that in my 20s. I was 5'10" 155# "hard gainer" and went to 195# in about 4 months. The secret was simple: heavy weights, low reps, and lots of food especially protein. Do that and you'll gain muscle mass fast! The problem you'll have as a martial artist is the bulk will slow you down a bit. You'd be better off using p90x. You can modify the diet (as in eat at a higher level and increase your protein) and use heavier weights but the nature of the program will tend to build mass that is more functional and explosive while maintaining flexibility.

Too add mass the key is to take in more calories (through healthy means such as protein) than you burn. P90 seems very cardio intensive its designed to burn away layers of fat to expose the muscle underneath using fast paced circuit type workouts.

What you want to do is increase your protein(caloric) intake lay off cardio (except for warming up) and do low rep sets meaning workout with weights in which you burn out with 8-10 reps. Do 5 sets per exercise and within a couple of months you will notice a huge difference.

You will not lose too much cardio conditioning if you do this in 1 month intervals (1month limited cardio, 1 month regular cardio.) due to the fact that lifting as long as you breath correctly will give you some of the same effects as cardio.

Hope this helps.
GradualProgression is describing the method I used to gain mass fast in my 20s but doesn't really know what p90x is about. I wouldn't use the term cardio intesive to describe p90x. I woud use calistenic intensive or just plain intensive but not cardio. Only 2 out of 12 workouts in p90x are cardio workouts (kenpo x and cardio x). In the Classic Routine Kenpo X is only used once a week and Cardio X is not used at all. Cardio X is used in the Lean Routine and the Doubles Routine or as a replacement for Plyo X for those who have issues and injuries that make them unable to do plyometrics. The weight training/callistenic routines are fast paced but your heart rate is not going to be in the cardio zone. Plyo X will have you both in and above your cardio zone - but the nature of the workout will build very explosive legs and again this is only once a week.

The method GP described is perhaps the fastest way to gain mass. You could probably gain the 25 pounds your looking for in 4 to 6 months but like I said the bulk will slow you down and you can also expect to gain some fat too. Explosiveness & speed is the key to having power in your techniques so that workout will be counterproductive to you as a martial artist.

I was only able to do p90x for 23 days because I hurt my back. But I lost 4 pounds overall - went from 198# to 194#, from 23% body fat to 21% body fat. I also lost 1 1/2" from my waist and gained 5/8" in both arms. I lost an estimated 6 pounds of fat and gained 2 pounds of muscle netting the 4 pounds of loss.

REH2,
If you use p90x and eat the higher level of calories and make sure your protein intake is at least 120 grams or higher and use heavy weights fpr 8 -10 reps. I think you could gain as much as 10# or even 15# of muscle in the 90 days. But even if you only gain 5 or 6 pounds it will be a weight gain that is more useful - you will be faster, more powerful, and explosive at least that's what I saw in my 23 days.

As soon as my back heals up, I will start a new 90 days. I'm still sticking to the diet minus the extra calories that are added to compensate for the workouts

_Don Flatt

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, think I might try this program. It was a problem for me in my 20's but I guess I thought as I got older I would thicken up! Now, pushing closer to 40, I figure I need to try harder.. LoL

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave,

Good luck with that..

kosho

It was an interesting week. I went to Bikram Yoga Tues, Wed., and Thurs mornings at 6. It was tough. Did Ab Ripper X every night. Wasn't hungry at all during the week, so I managed to eat well.

I lost 8 pounds all in all on the week. My wife noticed when I went to pick her and my son up at the airport.

The clincher had to be two days of kenpo training in the Oklahoma heat following the week!

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was an interesting week. I went to Bikram Yoga Tues, Wed., and Thurs mornings at 6. It was tough. Did Ab Ripper X every night. Wasn't hungry at all during the week, so I managed to eat well.

I lost 8 pounds all in all on the week. My wife noticed when I went to pick her and my son up at the airport.

The clincher had to be two days of kenpo training in the Oklahoma heat following the week!

Dave,
Nice job keep it up. Things are going well still here for me.

Friday is my last day of work as I have the summers off...

Kosho

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
P90X going good still. I have moved the training to am time. now that summer is here I want to get the work outs done...

Kosho

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
P90X going good still. I have moved the training to am time. now that summer is here I want to get the work outs done...

Kosho
Have moved into week 8....still doing the 9:30pm timeframe....Do I envy you....would love to do mornings.....but...at least they're getting done!
I wonder the statistics on how many buy vs complete the program.....It would rival that of those making it to Black Belt....???

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think your right about that.

kosho

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have moved into week 8....still doing the 9:30pm timeframe....Do I envy you....would love to do mornings.....but...at least they're getting done!
I wonder the statistics on how many buy vs complete the program.....It would rival that of those making it to Black Belt....???

I think you are right. Don't know if I will ever "complete" it. I have been doing the workouts for a year and 4 months, and love it.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is incredible!! How many transitions in the program have you seen? P90 to P90X now there's a P90X+....WoW over a year...My plan is to take Aug/Sept off and start again for Oct....The honey-Do list is not getting done fast enough....I figure 8 weeks should buy me the next 13 weeks....

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not looking at it as having a completion. I really like the workout. It's the most complete full body workout I've ever used. I plan to continue it year round or until I find something I like better.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not looking at it as having a completion. I really like the workout. It's the most complete full body workout I've ever used. I plan to continue it year round or until I find something I like better.
Sorry not what I meant....I agree with you that this will become a year round thing what I meant was I wonder how many buy this and don't complete the first 13 week session...( mean how many people that bought other programs/equipment that became clothes racks....).This is an intense program extremely robust for the entire body...Like you my schedule is to follow the P90X lead....13 weeks, a couple off, then start all over again....this time I will write down the weights, reps, etc....
I am doing things now that I could not do in the beginning.....of all the disks...disk 9 is the toughest for me....I can't match them 1 for 1.....
Into week 8...doing Plyometrics tonight....Woo Hoo...

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry not what I meant....I agree with you that this will become a year round thing what I meant was I wonder how many buy this and don't complete the first 13 week session...( mean how many people that bought other programs/equipment that became clothes racks....).This is an intense program extremely robust for the entire body...Like you my schedule is to follow the P90X lead....13 weeks, a couple off, then start all over again....this time I will write down the weights, reps, etc....
I am doing things now that I could not do in the beginning.....of all the disks...disk 9 is the toughest for me....I can't match them 1 for 1.....
Into week 8...doing Plyometrics tonight....Woo Hoo...

Hi my name is Jesse and I'm a quiter. I still plan on doing it but the 1 month old is taking up some time. go figure -- no one told me having a kid was going to be work...ha.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi my name is Jesse and I'm a quiter. I still plan on doing it but the 1 month old is taking up some time. go figure -- no one told me having a kid was going to be work...ha.
I know what you mean. I can't always fit it into my daily routine. An hour a day is hard to find sometimes with everything going on in my life (and the yoga workout is 1 1/2 hours). I'm not really concerned with the 90 day thing. I'm making it a regular year round workout the best I can. Besides, I get a major Kung-Fu workout 4 days a week as it is.

Enjoy your baby and work P90X into your schedule the best you can.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Considering you plan on getting back to it...you then my friend are no quitter!!!! Besides....family always comes first....and children always take precedence..the first of many sacrifices a parent makes…….and always with joy and no looking back…
I think of the P90X as the same as my MA training…it will be a lifelong endeavor…

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is incredible!! How many transitions in the program have you seen? P90 to P90X now there's a P90X+....WoW over a year...My plan is to take Aug/Sept off and start again for Oct....The honey-Do list is not getting done fast enough....I figure 8 weeks should buy me the next 13 weeks....

I was not even aware of P90 until after I bought P90X and went to the message boards. I have purchased P90X+, and those routines are intense. I don't plan on ever quitting.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Starting week 12 tomorrow.....I am very impressed with this program....We have stuck it through doing the daily routines as the disks dictate.....I have not as yet added up all the exercises by design....but do like the idea of knowing I'm doing over 1000 abs per week...incredible.....
Arms, back, legs much stronger....wish my knees were better that seems to be my weakness...too many years of abuse unfortunately.....but they are stronger as well .....have decided to take off August then start again Sept 1st....

Latest Discussions