Opting out of testing

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever opted out of testing for the next rank because they thought they were not ready, even though the instructor wants them to and feels they deserve the next rank?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although not in TKD (I'm in Kenpo), I have done that once. After I did that, my instructor just simply drilled me on areas where I felt I'm not ready, until I do. He does have a point though. Part of the test is facing up to the challenge and going through with it to do the best possible. The instructor does know what I know and he has watched me closely throughout my training all along.

- Ceicei

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I don't do TKD but did opt out for BB rank for years! Growing up, I always had an image of how a BB should be and was never there in my opinion, so I kept opting out. Finally, an instructor said "it isn't up to you to decide, it's up to me to decide when your ready!"

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
happens to me on occasion that a student comes up and says he/she isn't ready to test. in almost every case, it's turned out to be more about some fear regarding the test, or responsibility of new rank, than about strength of technique.

it's an instructor's job to promote a student when that student is ready. with almost every great student, this is usually before the student agrees.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Slippery_Pete said:
Has anyone ever opted out of testing for the next rank because they thought they were not ready, even though the instructor wants them to and feels they deserve the next rank?

I think it is interesting that your signature quote, which appears to be your student oath, addresses this issue:

"I promise, on my oath, that I will never dishonor the spirit of TaeKwonDo training that my instructor has generously given me. I will respect my parents, fellow students, and instructors and follow their advice and guidelines. I will endeavor to be a champion of freedom and justice and work towards building a more peaceful world. Honor, above all else, shall be my code."

When students recite this oath, do they believe in it? Do the follow it, or is it just a bunch of words? I guess, if you respect your instructors, and "follow their advice," then you will test when they recommend you to test. Personally, I have never backed down from a test, but I have seen it done, and have had several students over the years approach me with similar concerns. After a short conversation, I usually determine that it is a lack of self confidence, and mental fears which I help to reassure them that I would not recommend them if they were not ready, so they ultimately go ahead and test.

Many yeas ago, one of my senior, fellow Black Belts had the opportunity to test for his 3rd Dan in the ATA. We were at the testing in Lansing, Michigan, with the ATA president, Grandmaster Haeng Ung Lee (9th Dan) as the Chief Judge, and Vice President Master Robert Allemire (then a 5th Dan - now 8th Dan), as a judge. My friend began his test and faultered a bit on his form (he could actually do it perfectly). They asked him what was wrong, and he said he didn't feel he was ready to test. They dismissed him and he dressed out - never to test again. My jaw hit the floor, because I could not imagine someone passing up such an opportunity, and he was definately capable of passing with flying colors.

Whoever it is that you are asking this question for (yourself or someone else), I say, move past the mental blocks, uncertainties, and take the challenge. . . what can it hurt? :lookie: As we used to say in the Army, "1st Platoon, ROUGH and TOUGH, HARD to bluff, DRIVE ON, Drill Sergeant, DRIVE ON . . . BE PROUD!" :ultracool

CM D. J. Eisenhart

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ironically, I came close to feelng like that this week. Last night I tested, and passed, for 1rst Gup. However it seemed awfully soon for me after testing for 2nd Gup. I felt I could do the physical techniques, but it felt like a lot of them I wasn't really as strong as I would've liked to have been. My hook spinning kick needs work and I really would've liked to have spent more time working to really get to know my poomsae in and out before testing with it. I think one reason he had me test was to send me off at the higher rank as I'm moving away from this school.

So in a lot of ways I feel I wasn't really 'ready' yet, and I think it will be quite awhile before I'm ready to test for BB. However, I respect my teacher and his experience and while I may not be as tight with a lot of things as I'd like to be, in the end, I *was*able to pass the test. So when he told me last week that I would test this week, I just got wide eyed for a few seconds and then said "Yes Sir!"

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It’s funny that you bring up this question. I am not a TKD student I study Kenpo but I am in a situation as we speak where I am supposed to test for my next belt on the 24th of this month. I can’t give you the gup rank as we have 18 belts in our system, I’ll be testing for purple belt or the 6th belt in our system. My big hang up I am having is that, if I pass this test I move up a rank but I also move into phase two of my training. We have four phases each being a year long. Anyway we have a set of techs, forms, and sets that we are required to know by the end of each phase. I know all the tech’s, I know short form one, stance set one, star block set, kicking set one, but some how I missed long form one. Last month I asked my instructor if I should skip this next test because I don’t have long form one. I was told that no I should go ahead and test and I will be able to pick up the missed form in private lessons soon after I start phase two. On the one hand that made me feel good that my instructor has enough confidence in me to pass this test and be able to pick up what I some how missed and learn the next form that we will be learning “ Short form one”. But on the other hand I feel like I don’t belong in the next phase since every one else was expected to know Long form one to get to that phase of training.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slippery_Pete said:

No, not personally. Even if I was feeling uncertain of my abilities I would trust that my instructor also knows my abilities and what's required for me to progress to the next level of learning.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've opted out of testing this year because of family issues and an injury. The instructors feel I could still pass but they understand that I want to test at my best and not just scrape by a pass. No hurries, no worries.:)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried. I can't remember if I ever actually got out of testing or not due to illness or something else, but I don't think so.

There've been a couple of times where I just did not feel ready but was pushed to test anyway ... which is a test in itself, I think.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had certainly felt like doing it a bunch of times, but I never have. I know more than a few folks who have. I've also know a few who feel that, "Its my turn. I'm ready. Why can't Sabum-Nim see that." Its interesting to see how the opportunity for rank sits with people.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the past I have thought about opting out, but have not done it. When I resume my training if I feel like I'm being hurried or rushed to test, I will wait.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to add a different perspective here. As a Master Instructor with 28 years of teaching experience in Taekwondo, I have not only had to take tests for my own ranks, but I have sat on many judging panels for my own students, and for students of other instructors at their schools (Currently, my Grandmaster judges my students' tests). I can understand a student's desire to "feel prepared," and be certain that they will pass each test with the highest marks, but this is truly not the purpose of a color belt grade test.

The 1st Degree Black Belt test is the one that a student should be preparing to really "get it right" so they perform at their best. Every color belt test for grade (geup) is simply a checkpoint along the way. We will always have things we need to improve on, and a test will reveal this, but students should not feel like they have to be "perfect" before testing. If we waited for that, no one would test. When instructors know that a student is ready to move on, it does not mean that the student has learned everything that they were taught perfectly; they just have it well enough to be ready for the next level . . . so go ahead and move on - faults and all. Just be sure you iron out the wrinkles before your Black Belt test! :)

Also, I can understand a student not testing due to injury, illness, or some personal hardship, but if the problem is minor, and a student can still perform, even if to a less than ideal level, I would suggest testing for a color belt grade because it is good to show that you do not back down from life's challenges, or difficult situations just because things are not going just right for you. Life is not always smooth and ideal, and a Taekwondo test should reflect this.

That's my view on tests! :)
CM D. J. Eisenhart

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did once or twice. The first time was do to surgery (the first one I had 5 years ago), the other was do to an injury. I wanted to opt out on my 1st gup test. I knew I wasn't ready, but I was told to test. I failed. I re-tested 3 months later, when I had everything down, and I passed.

This next time will be for BB. So, like Last Fearner said, I want to be ready. I don't want to be forced into testing when I don't even know my form or something.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taking that test is a risk.

You risk the time it takes to take the test.
You risk success, which means you risk new demands.
You may risk a belt test fee.
You risk going forward with a weaker foundation than you would prefer.
You risk the chance of realizing that your foundation is sufficient, especially now that you have new ways of applying it.

Not taking the test is a risk.

You risk a lot time. A belt cycle is much longer than a belt test.
You risk the self esteem drop that comes with knowing you never tried.
You risk boredom. What seems like a good idea now, may bore you silly when you are a few weeks in to the next belt cycle, working on the same old stuff,
You risk the frustration at knowing that things could have been different if you just decided to go ahead and do it when you had the chance.
You risk learning that your foundation all this time was good enough to move forward.
You risk going in to the next belt cycle no better than you were this time around.

Choose wisely.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing is at the discretion of the instructor - students should never ask to test. However, as I attained higher rank, my instructor began leaving more of the decision up to me - had I chosen not to test for IV Dan last year, he would not have contested it - he gave me the option - between working, teaching TKD and grad school, I'm a little busy - getting ready to test, as well, nearly killed me, but waiting until after I finish grad school would, I think, have been worse. Having said that, however, I would never force a student who feels unready to test. Depending on why the student felt unready, I might try to convince them to test, but I cannot (and will not) force a student to test.

Some reasons I have allowed otherwise-ready students to not test:
  • injury
  • illness
    • medical
    • psychological (I currently have a student who has an anxiety disorder, who had never seen a testing - he did not test for 9th gup last testing, but will test for 8th gup - the only rank I generally allow double testing for - at the next testing)
  • life events - this depends on how far in advance it was scheduled compared to testing the event, and the type of event (birth, death, weddings, graduations, etc. as compared to a sleepover or something like that - I had one student who missed testing for a friend's 11th birthday party; testing was scheduled 2 months in advance, and the party was scheduled the week before it happened - that child did not test at that testing)
This is too situational for me to give a single answer to - it all depends.

Latest Discussions