One small step closer...

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Man, I disappear for a while to learn Koryo and you guys are all talking about being badasses in skirts. Gotta love it haha.

I have learned quite a bit of Koryo at this point, I'm one step from the neat 8 count move. I'm far far from perfect, but we are going to a tournament in February and I'd like to compete with Koryo, though I fully expect to get destroyed lol. My double sidekicks aren't horrendous...well yesterday they were. My balance is off thanks to yet another sinus infection. I've got to really focus on losing weight now though. I have the flexibility to kick high, and am at the point where my weight is holding me back. A new gym just opened by my house, and one of our masters is about to move to a new place close to me, so we are going to join together and work out every day. And of course...Practice, practice, practice!! Koryo is a blast! It's so hard, and so fun. I'm physically exhausted after going through it.

This week, Kukkiwon updated and I am now officially listed as a 1st dan! So cool!!!! My actual belt came today. I got to touch it as I was putting the new belts away in the back...sigh. It's so cool!! We haven't scheduled the ceremony yet so I'm not sure when I'll get to actually wear it. We definitely have to wait on the certificates to come from Korea. With the website updated, I don't think it will take too much longer. Not a big deal though, I'm still thoroughly amused by just having the black collar uniform.

Loving TKD. It's fun to me to nitpick the little details in my form and even in my kicking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I disappear for a while to learn Koryo and you guys are all talking about being badasses in skirts. Gotta love it haha.

I have learned quite a bit of Koryo at this point, I'm one step from the neat 8 count move. I'm far far from perfect, but we are going to a tournament in February and I'd like to compete with Koryo, though I fully expect to get destroyed lol. My double sidekicks aren't horrendous...well yesterday they were. My balance is off thanks to yet another sinus infection. I've got to really focus on losing weight now though. I have the flexibility to kick high, and am at the point where my weight is holding me back. A new gym just opened by my house, and one of our masters is about to move to a new place close to me, so we are going to join together and work out every day. And of course...Practice, practice, practice!! Koryo is a blast! It's so hard, and so fun. I'm physically exhausted after going through it.

This week, Kukkiwon updated and I am now officially listed as a 1st dan! So cool!!!! My actual belt came today. I got to touch it as I was putting the new belts away in the back...sigh. It's so cool!! We haven't scheduled the ceremony yet so I'm not sure when I'll get to actually wear it. We definitely have to wait on the certificates to come from Korea. With the website updated, I don't think it will take too much longer. Not a big deal though, I'm still thoroughly amused by just having the black collar uniform.

Loving TKD. It's fun to me to nitpick the little details in my form and even in my kicking.
I love reading your reactions to the belts and uniform. Many of us have had similar reactions. I still do, sometimes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Congrats serietah, it's official hey! Very exciting your belt has come, has been an awesome journey to follow. But yeah please keep us updated how you're going :)

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Omg!! My master brought my belt to me and said “try it on”. Pardon the sloppy editing on my belt but...this is the internet lol.

Attachments

• 1057416E-F5D8-4A34-B444-14CC63A644E7.jpeg
    1057416E-F5D8-4A34-B444-14CC63A644E7.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 346
OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phew lots of updates this week!

Today I finished Koryo!! Now to practice it a million times before the tournament in February.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nitpicking the details is what keeps me coming to class. There’s always room for improvement, even in the most basic stuff.

A lot of people say black belt is when you really start learning the art, to which I strongly agree. You mentioned quite a few times that you like learning new material; black belt is about learning your material in a new way - it’s about making it your own rather than being a carbon copy of your teacher IMO. 1st dan is like being a white belt all over again in this regard.

Congratulations on the shiny new belt. It looks great on you (other than the sloppy editing :) ).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nitpicking the details is what keeps me coming to class. There’s always room for improvement, even in the most basic stuff.

A lot of people say black belt is when you really start learning the art, to which I strongly agree. You mentioned quite a few times that you like learning new material; black belt is about learning your material in a new way - it’s about making it your own rather than being a carbon copy of your teacher IMO. 1st dan is like being a white belt all over again in this regard.

Congratulations on the shiny new belt. It looks great on you (other than the sloppy editing :) ).
An aside: we say the same thing about BB, though average time to that rank in the NGAA is about 7 years. Apparently, we (humans, or the approximations thereof that get into MA) really like the concept and make it true wherever BB is.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An aside: we say the same thing about BB, though average time to that rank in the NGAA is about 7 years. Apparently, we (humans, or the approximations thereof that get into MA) really like the concept and make it true wherever BB is.
From my experience, colored belt is learning the foundation of the art. Learning how to do it in a textbook manner; not altering it, but doing it as taught. 1st dan means you’re proficient in that foundation and you’ve got a functional understanding of it and can apply it. It doesn’t mean mastery of the technique nor application of it though.

In order to master it, you’ve got to be able to take that textbook technique, and use it in a way that best works for you, not in a generic one size fits all manner. Basically, you’ve got to make it yours.

At least that’s the direction my training went when I earned my 1st dan way back when. Going through the process again and being 1st kyu, it seems the same way this time around. Looking at the black belts in my dojo, especially the higher ranked ones, it seems obvious to my eye that they’re not doing the individual techniques exactly the same way as the colored belts are. Some things are shortened, some seem more exaggerated, and everything in between. Black belts are allowed that freedom of expression, in a sense. Without knowing the system and syllabus, one might miss it entirely or just look at the colored belts and think they’re doing it all wrong, or even look at the higher ranks and think they’re flawed.

Edit: When I’m talking about black belts and colored belts doing doing things differently, I’m talking about both doing the same exact material, such as a colored belt kata or prearranged stuff.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phew lots of updates this week!

Today I finished Koryo!! Now to practice it a million times before the tournament in February.
Just my opinion but I think if you're going to compete it's not a great idea to compete with something you've just learnt. Best to use something you've practiced more and had more time to Improve

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my experience, colored belt is learning the foundation of the art. Learning how to do it in a textbook manner; not altering it, but doing it as taught. 1st dan means you’re proficient in that foundation and you’ve got a functional understanding of it and can apply it. It doesn’t mean mastery of the technique nor application of it though.

In order to master it, you’ve got to be able to take that textbook technique, and use it in a way that best works for you, not in a generic one size fits all manner. Basically, you’ve got to make it yours.

At least that’s the direction my training went when I earned my 1st dan way back when. Going through the process again and being 1st kyu, it seems the same way this time around. Looking at the black belts in my dojo, especially the higher ranked ones, it seems obvious to my eye that they’re not doing the individual techniques exactly the same way as the colored belts are. Some things are shortened, some seem more exaggerated, and everything in between. Black belts are allowed that freedom of expression, in a sense. Without knowing the system and syllabus, one might miss it entirely or just look at the colored belts and think they’re doing it all wrong, or even look at the higher ranks and think they’re flawed.

Edit: When I’m talking about black belts and colored belts doing doing things differently, I’m talking about both doing the same exact material, such as a colored belt kata or prearranged stuff.

You know I've always wondered about this... often times I'd see higher Dan grades performing the techniques along with everyone else, but they clearly looked different or had a different emphasis or style.

Years ago I'd look at this and think, "What! They're that grade and they're doing the technique wrong???"

But now you mention that it makes sense. Structurally and movement-wise the techniques still tick the boxes, but I guess that difference is in making it their own and to fit their own body.

I like that :). I'm still a fan of standardising technique, but it totally (only nowadays to me) makes sense to allow for expression and individual application, as we're not all robots and aren't gonna look or apply it the exact same.

It's an interesting topic really!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I've always wondered about this... often times I'd see higher Dan grades performing the techniques along with everyone else, but they clearly looked different or had a different emphasis or style.

Years ago I'd look at this and think, "What! They're that grade and they're doing the technique wrong???"

But now you mention that it makes sense. Structurally and movement-wise the techniques still tick the boxes, but I guess that difference is in making it their own and to fit their own body.

I like that :). I'm still a fan of standardising technique, but it totally (only nowadays to me) makes sense to allow for expression and individual application, as we're not all robots and aren't gonna look or apply it the exact same.

My instructor actually expected certain changes when testing for BB. And would add some in - part of the test was being able to make unexpected adjustments on the fly.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

IMO it’s experience. They know what works for them and what doesn’t. They know how to make that particular movement their own. And many of them probably haven’t thought about it in those terms. They do the technique and the teacher doesn’t make tiny adjustments because he knows the student knows what he’s doing. That’s that freedom of expression, so to speak IMO.

We have kata class every Tuesday. There’s a pair of sandans and a yondan regularly in attendance. Watching them do, say Pinan 4, which is a 4th kyu kata, you’ll easily see the differences. They’re not outright differences like they’re doing a different kata; they’ve got a different tempo. They’re generating power far more efficiently. They transition between stances and techniques a little differently. If you’re not looking through the right lens, you’d think they’re a little sloppy, or better yet haphazard. Try to replicate it without having their experience, and you just look stupid. Trust me, I’ve tried ;)

However, some of the higher ranks look sloppy doing a lower rank kata sometimes because they haven’t done that one in quite some time :) Doesn’t really happen often at our place, but I’ve seen it elsewhere.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Update time!

Today was the tournament. It was bigger than last year! I competed with Koryo and also three station board breaking (punch, spinning kick, and flying side kick). I got first place in my group for both! I tied for first on board breaking, which was fine. The guy I tied with had better technique on the side kick but I did more of a demo style breaking the judges always like. More action-y! For forms, I competed against my mom and aunt. They both did well! The mat was verrrrry grippy and hard to pivot on.

After my board breaking, the judge stopped me and complimented me. He asked who my master is and what school I go to. It was neat!

Next Saturday, I will receive my official black belt and kukkiwon certificate! I’m so excited!!!

I’m working on redoing Taegeuk 1 “black belt style” and also learning Palgwe 1. I have three hapkido techniques to learn too, but have learned one. It’s possible I could take my level 1 test at the end of the month but we’ll see.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update time!

Today was the tournament. It was bigger than last year! I competed with Koryo and also three station board breaking (punch, spinning kick, and flying side kick). I got first place in my group for both! I tied for first on board breaking, which was fine. The guy I tied with had better technique on the side kick but I did more of a demo style breaking the judges always like. More action-y! For forms, I competed against my mom and aunt. They both did well! The mat was verrrrry grippy and hard to pivot on.

After my board breaking, the judge stopped me and complimented me. He asked who my master is and what school I go to. It was neat!

Next Saturday, I will receive my official black belt and kukkiwon certificate! I’m so excited!!!

I’m working on redoing Taegeuk 1 “black belt style” and also learning Palgwe 1. I have three hapkido techniques to learn too, but have learned one. It’s possible I could take my level 1 test at the end of the month but we’ll see.
Sounds like you're still enjoying yourself rather a lot, Serietah. You stop that - martial arts is serious, non-fun stuff!! :rage:

In all seriousness, what changes in the early forms when you are doing them "black belt style"? (Please remember I do not know the forms - just reference to them from discussions with my brother.)

Latest Discussions