One small step closer...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did it.

I am a Black Belt!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you! Your commitment and dedication these years have paid off, seriously bask in and cherish this moment :). It's been such a wonderful journey for us all to share along with you. Can't wait to hear how the grading was!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did it.

I am a Black Belt!!!!!
Congratulations! Well done!

Now the real work begins...:)

(Also, now that you have a little bit of experience under your belt, why not come join some more of the other conversations. You’ve worked your way up to black belt in TKD over the last few years, but you’re still a green belt in forum posts..)

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got to see my scores today. Wow. Out of 100 points my lowest score was a 92 in free sparring. Taegeuk 8 was 98 for balance and 98 for execution and understanding. Taegeuk 3 97 and 96, and Taegeuk 6 94 and 95. My one step sparring I made up, 96. Board breaking accuracy 94, power and execution 97. So I think the guest master was very nice hahahaha.

I get to have my first class as a black belt tomorrow! Tonight’s family class was too big for me to get to learn but it’s ok. I had fun just teaching anyway. One student said “you look better with that belt” haha.

I loooooved wearing my new black collar dobok today! I got a really nice adidas uniform and really love it.

My mom is still working on editing the video. It was shot in 4K so it may be a pain uploading it but I’ll get it for you guys when I can!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got to see my scores today. Wow. Out of 100 points my lowest score was a 92 in free sparring. Taegeuk 8 was 98 for balance and 98 for execution and understanding. Taegeuk 3 97 and 96, and Taegeuk 6 94 and 95. My one step sparring I made up, 96. Board breaking accuracy 94, power and execution 97. So I think the guest master was very nice hahahaha.

I get to have my first class as a black belt tomorrow! Tonight’s family class was too big for me to get to learn but it’s ok. I had fun just teaching anyway. One student said “you look better with that belt” haha.

I loooooved wearing my new black collar dobok today! I got a really nice adidas uniform and really love it.

My mom is still working on editing the video. It was shot in 4K so it may be a pain uploading it but I’ll get it for you guys when I can!
You guys do scoring? That's cool. I love hearing the different ways people do BB tests. In one of mine, I had a two day 10 hour test, and if you made it through you passed basically, in another the instructor had already decided me and the guy I was with were testing/passing, we got up and performed a form of our choice (I did one from another system), then him and the guest instructor awarded me the belt. In my current style (no direct BB equivalent AFAIK), he just hands out certificates at the end of class sometimes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wow, never heard of scoring either for gradings but far out well done, amazing result :)

And a vid would be so swell to watch!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Awesome! Cherish the moments. They only come around once so get everything you can out of them.
Is it possible to send a photo of the scoring sheet your school uses? It is always helpful to see how others are doing it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, never heard of scoring either for gradings but far out well done, amazing result :)

And a vid would be so swell to watch!

Don't all gradings have scoring? Even if it's just pass/fail, it's still a score.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't all gradings have scoring? Even if it's just pass/fail, it's still a score.
Yeah just haven't heard of a numerical version. Pass/fail is obviously there. To be honest I don't know how my gradings were assessed, but I'd imagine if there were too many technical errors, wasn't showing developed attributes and didn't understand the material it would result in a fail. Number scoring makes sense though!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah just haven't heard of a numerical version. Pass/fail is obviously there. To be honest I don't know how my gradings were assessed, but I'd imagine if there were too many technical errors, wasn't showing developed attributes and didn't understand the material it would result in a fail. Number scoring makes sense though!

We use a 1-10 scale, with 6+ being a pass.
I honestly don't know how you could do a 1-100 scale. I mean, how do you decide if it's a x6 or x7?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the same kind of scoring at all, but most of the testing in mainline NGA is numerically scored. On the Classical techniques, they are scored 1-4 with 1 being roughly "got almost nothing right" and 4 being "strong for their rank" (technically 0-4, with 0 being "couldn't remember the technique). The defense-line tests (bunch of folks take turns giving assigned attacks), you're scored downward from 100. If the attack succeeds, you lose a full point. If you defend, but without having good control, you lose 1/2 point.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not the same kind of scoring at all, but most of the testing in mainline NGA is numerically scored. On the Classical techniques, they are scored 1-4 with 1 being roughly "got almost nothing right" and 4 being "strong for their rank" (technically 0-4, with 0 being "couldn't remember the technique). The defense-line tests (bunch of folks take turns giving assigned attacks), you're scored downward from 100. If the attack succeeds, you lose a full point. If you defend, but without having good control, you lose 1/2 point.
Ah fascinating, I like that, cheers for posting

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
165BBE49-87DC-41D6-BCD4-C1DCFE30B34A.jpeg

Cropped and edited because this is the internet but you get the idea. I’m only sharing because I’m proud haha.

I think this was the judges choice to grade out of 100. Usually our scores are letter grades like A+, A, etc. form 1 for me Taegeuk 3, 2 Taegeuk 6, and 3 Taegeuk 8. You can tell which one I focused on haha.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot. I have started learning Koryo! It’s soooo fun! I feel like a white belt all over again. Learning nothing new for 10 months really was rough but I realize it’s part of training.

I’ve learned up to back stance with body/middle block with the left arm. Working on those double sidekicks!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for post the form. I always like seeing how others are doing things. Never know where a good idea will come from.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot. I have started learning Koryo! It’s soooo fun! I feel like a white belt all over again. Learning nothing new for 10 months really was rough but I realize it’s part of training.

I’ve learned up to back stance with body/middle block with the left arm. Working on those double sidekicks!
If you do not already know, Koryo represents a Learned Person. The best analogy I know for a black belt is a serious beginner so I think the form representation is a good one. Learned but not mastered. Keep up the good work.

Latest Discussions