Ho-amTaekwondo

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have nay experience with Tiger Rock (Ho-am) Taekwondo? How does it compare to other Taekwondo organizations?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was actually looking into them recently! We were contacted by someone moving to the area who's kid had studied at one of their schools.

From what I read, it looks like they're an offshoot of an offshoot of ATA that operates as a franchise. They do ATA-style point sparring, compete in NASKA tournaments, and apparently they have one color belt form, which they work on improving at every color belt level. I watched a couple youtube videos of their students testing and sparring, and the quality seemed mixed, but I'm sure you could say the same about pretty much any style/organization.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was actually looking into them recently! We were contacted by someone moving to the area who's kid had studied at one of their schools.

From what I read, it looks like they're an offshoot of an offshoot of ATA that operates as a franchise. They do ATA-style point sparring, compete in NASKA tournaments, and apparently they have one color belt form, which they work on improving at every color belt level. I watched a couple youtube videos of their students testing and sparring, and the quality seemed mixed, but I'm sure you could say the same about pretty much any style/organization.
They did use to be ATA. They broke away many years ago and formed the USTA/ITA. Then they reformed/rebranded as Ho-Am or Tiger Rock. From my experience, like other schools, quality is indeed mixed. At worst, it looks like "Foot Fist Way." The last I saw, they used altered ITF forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
@WaterGal was this child trying to join your organization?

Yeah. We told them the kid would have to learn the KKW forms and WTF sparring and then they'd have to (re)take a poom test with us (how we usually handle this kind of thing), and they haven't been in. Not sure if they're just too busy with the move, or if they decided to go with a place more similar to what they did before. There's no Tiger Rock or ATA school around here, but there are some TSD/unaffiliated TKD kind of places that from what I understand are more along those lines.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
They did use to be ATA. They broke away many years ago and formed the USTA/ITA. Then they reformed/rebranded as Ho-Am or Tiger Rock. From my experience, like other schools, quality is indeed mixed. At worst, it looks like "Foot Fist Way." The last I saw, they used altered ITF forms.

This is what I have found as far as the history: 3 Founders Bert Kollars, Craig Kollars, Art Monroe, I have no idea where their previous training is from. They are all 9th dan now in their organization. You said they came from ATA, and that is Sogahm Taekwondo, but the ITA uses Ch'ang Hon forms. They were very similar to those of the ITF, but different. Ex: some techniques were done differently and some forms had moves omitted, etc. Around 2005 they completely changes all the forms, and now use forms that are barely recognizable compared to the original Ch'ang Hon Forms. I was more curious to see if anyone was part of the organization, or had any experience on it and could tell me what they thought. My school's instructors are former members of the ITA.

Here is a comparison:

Tiger Rock Dan-Gun:

ITF Dan-Gun

Yeah. We told them the kid would have to learn the KKW forms and WTF sparring and then they'd have to (re)take a poom test with us (how we usually handle this kind of thing), and they haven't been in. Not sure if they're just too busy with the move, or if they decided to go with a place more similar to what they did before. There's no Tiger Rock or ATA school around here, but there are some TSD/unaffiliated TKD kind of places that from what I understand are more along those lines.

like I stated previously the form system they use now is nothing like KKW or ATA, the closest thing may be ATF Taekwondo. So the kid would most likely struggle in the transition, it would be almost like learning a different martial art.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is what I have found as far as the history: 3 Founders Bert Kollars, Craig Kollars, Art Monroe, I have no idea where their previous training is from. They are all 9th dan now in their organization. You said they came from ATA, and that is Sogahm Taekwondo, but the ITA uses Ch'ang Hon forms. They were very similar to those of the ITF, but different. Ex: some techniques were done differently and some forms had moves omitted, etc. Around 2005 they completely changes all the forms, and now use forms that are barely recognizable compared to the original Ch'ang Hon Forms. I was more curious to see if anyone was part of the organization, or had any experience on it and could tell me what they thought. My school's instructors are former members of the ITA.

Here is a comparison:

Tiger Rock Dan-Gun:

ITF Dan-Gun

like I stated previously the form system they use now is nothing like KKW or ATA, the closest thing may be ATF Taekwondo. So the kid would most likely struggle in the transition, it would be almost like learning a different martial art.
ATA used to do the Chang Hon forms a long time ago before developing their current form set. I'm not sure which ATF you are referring to. Where are you located?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
ATA used to do the Chang Hon forms a long time ago before developing their current form set. I'm not sure which ATF you are referring to. Where are you located?

Ahh, I did not know that the ATA used Ch'ang Hon forms. I believe you said you were located in Korea, have you had any experience with ITA, I don't believe they have schools that have made it to Korea.

This is the ATF :American Taekwondo Foundation [they seem to use Ch'ang Hon forms with some variations]

I am located in the United States

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
ATF dojangs are mostly in Southern United States.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh, I did not know that the ATA used Ch'ang Hon forms. I believe you said you were located in Korea, have you had any experience with ITA, I don't believe they have schools that have made it to Korea.

This is the ATF :American Taekwondo Foundation [they seem to use Ch'ang Hon forms with some variations]

I am located in the United States
Alright, both of those groups came from ATA. I know several instructors who are former USTA/ITA. ITA and ATF were at one time very similar curriculum-wise. My experience with them is a bit dated at this point, though, so it's hard to say how close they are now.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
T . You said they came from ATA, and that is Sogahm Taekwondo, but the ITA uses Ch'ang Hon forms. t.

That is because ATA founder HU Lee was CDK product and was with the ITF. When he split off to form the ATA they initialy used the Chang Hon forms with a CDK Flavor. Later he developed new forms for the ATA. (I have a video of HU Lee in NK with a ATA Demo Team Late 1990's
and he was sitting next to General Choi during the Demo.)

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is because ATA founder HU Lee was CDK product and was with the ITF. When he split off to form the ATA they initialy used the Chang Hon forms with a CDK Flavor. Later he developed new forms for the ATA. (I have a video of HU Lee in NK with a ATA Demo Team Late 1990's
and he was sitting next to General Choi during the Demo.)

Likewise GM Chung (Founder / President of the ATF is a Chung Do Kwan man, and was an early member of the pre Songham ATA. This the reason for their similarity!

It all depends on when they left Gen. Choi and if they were Oh Do Kwan or Chung Do Kwan in origin.

Latest Discussions