One small step closer...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you do not already know, Koryo represents a Learned Person. The best analogy I know for a black belt is a serious beginner so I think the form representation is a good one. Learned but not mastered. Keep up the good work.

Have never heard that.. a black belt is a serious beginner. LOVE that...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have never heard that.. a black belt is a serious beginner. LOVE that...

To expand some...
The Koryo Dynasty ruled what became Korea (and is where the name Korea derived) from the 10th-14th centuries. It is probably most notable for being the first dynasty to place as much importance on education as on fighting, and the ideal was to be equally accomplished in both scholarly and martial endeavors. The movement line drawn on the floor by Koryo is the Chinese character for "a man of virtue."
All of the Yudanja forms trace out Chinese characters on the floor, and these characters are always linked to the philosophical meaning of that form.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have learned Koryo up to the first kihap. WOW, so fun!!! Those double sidekicks are a doozy. I'm happy with how it looks at this point though.

I've said this a lot in the past week and a half, but I really am enjoying feeling like a white belt again. I didn't realize how much I felt like I was in a "slump" while not learning anything new for 10 months...I was happy to be improving, but I just really love learning new things, so I feel that fire all over again. What's also been interesting is the level of intensity I practice with, even when just going over Taegeuk forms. I'm really focused on details and doing things "like a black belt". Fun fun!

First tournament as a black belt will be february 2 lol. I fully expect to lose, but will do my best anyway.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have learned Koryo up to the first kihap. WOW, so fun!!! Those double sidekicks are a doozy. I'm happy with how it looks at this point though.

I've said this a lot in the past week and a half, but I really am enjoying feeling like a white belt again. I didn't realize how much I felt like I was in a "slump" while not learning anything new for 10 months...I was happy to be improving, but I just really love learning new things, so I feel that fire all over again. What's also been interesting is the level of intensity I practice with, even when just going over Taegeuk forms. I'm really focused on details and doing things "like a black belt". Fun fun!

First tournament as a black belt will be february 2 lol. I fully expect to lose, but will do my best anyway.
That is great to hear.
A word of caution; your white belt description is spot on. The reference of not learning anything new for 10 months is concerning. Everything you have learned up to this point has room for improvement. This is true of us all. As a black belt it is time to rise above needing to be "fed" information and start seeing and finding things on your own. One of the signs of a quality BB at any level.
For example, you mentioned the double kick in Koryo. How correct are your side kicks? What can improve? There are 50?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is great to hear!
A word of caution; your white belt reference is a very good one. When you say you have not learned anything new for 10 months is cause for concern. Think of yourself as a white belt with reference. Everything you have ever learned has room for improvement. True of everyone. Now that you are a black belt you should no longer need to be "fed" new information but instead know how to find it. In other words, know that every move you have learned can and should be worked on, polished. Learn how to be critical of yourself and others and make it productive. Without making it impatient, opinionated, ineffective, etc... It certainly is not easy but a sign that you are maturing as a BB.
I look forward to hearing more about your learning Koryo. It is 30ish moves so there is a lot to learn. I forget the exact number moves, something good for you to find out!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is great to hear!
A word of caution; your white belt reference is a very good one. When you say you have not learned anything new for 10 months is cause for concern. Think of yourself as a white belt with reference. Everything you have ever learned has room for improvement. True of everyone. Now that you are a black belt you should no longer need to be "fed" new information but instead know how to find it. In other words, know that every move you have learned can and should be worked on, polished. Learn how to be critical of yourself and others and make it productive. Without making it impatient, opinionated, ineffective, etc... It certainly is not easy but a sign that you are maturing as a BB.
I look forward to hearing more about your learning Koryo. It is 30ish moves so there is a lot to learn. I forget the exact number moves, something good for you to find out!
Sorry for the double post. The first one spazzed out and I had to start over.
I look forward to hearing about your further learning of Koryo. Very exciting.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but every time I see the thread title, I can’t help but hear “Everything you say to me... takes me one step closer to the edge... and I’m about to break!” in my head. Now I’ve got to play some Linkin Park.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t know why, but every time I see the thread title, I can’t help but hear “Everything you say to me... takes me one step closer to the edge... and I’m about to break!” in my head. Now I’ve got to play some Linkin Park.
@dvcochran
I just put that song in your head too, didn’t I?
... aaaaand mine now XD (love that song)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is great to hear.
A word of caution; your white belt description is spot on. The reference of not learning anything new for 10 months is concerning. Everything you have learned up to this point has room for improvement. This is true of us all. As a black belt it is time to rise above needing to be "fed" information and start seeing and finding things on your own. One of the signs of a quality BB at any level.
For example, you mentioned the double kick in Koryo. How correct are your side kicks? What can improve? There are 50?
I think there's a difference between improvement and new learning, experientially. I love to learn an entirely new technique, to get to feel like a bumbling fool for a little while and feel the improvement as I learn to do it fluently. I don't get that with the material I already know, though there can still be moments of insight that are almost as good, when suddenly something becomes easier than it ever was, or works in a brand new way.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there's a difference between improvement and new learning, experientially. I love to learn an entirely new technique, to get to feel like a bumbling fool for a little while and feel the improvement as I learn to do it fluently. I don't get that with the material I already know, though there can still be moments of insight that are almost as good, when suddenly something becomes easier than it ever was, or works in a brand new way.
I like the bumbling reference. I am pretty sure @serietah 's "doing things like a black belt" doesn't include the looking like a fool we all have to go through. Good times.
I can ebb and flow with most things. I do get that feeling when have put the polish back on a form I have gotten rusty on. We have a Lot of forms (35 & counting) and it is hard for this old brain to keep up with them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the bumbling reference. I am pretty sure @serietah 's "doing things like a black belt" doesn't include the looking like a fool we all have to go through. Good times.
I can ebb and flow with most things. I do get that feeling when have put the polish back on a form I have gotten rusty on. We have a Lot of forms (35 & counting) and it is hard for this old brain to keep up with them.
One of my best and favorite memories was shortly after I was promoted to BB. In mainline NGA, the hakama (that black skirt you see a lot in Aikido) is only worn (optionally) after BB. Well, I opted in. My second class, I think, after getting it, I stood up from bowing, had my foot firmly on the hem, and just tumbled over backwards. Not gracefully. No nice roll out of it. Just ***-over-elbows. My reaction? I wore it for every training session I attended for about 5 years, because I realized how much harder it made everything. I had to start paying attention to stuff that had become routine (like standing up). For about a year, I had to deal with the stumbles, trips, failed entries, and so forth. One instructor told me if we were sparring, it would get in my way - like that was a negative thing for me. That's actually why I like it.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my best and favorite memories was shortly after I was promoted to BB. In mainline NGA, the hakama (that black skirt you see a lot in Aikido) is only worn (optionally) after BB. Well, I opted in. My second class, I think, after getting it, I stood up from bowing, had my foot firmly on the hem, and just tumbled over backwards. Not gracefully. No nice roll out of it. Just ***-over-elbows. My reaction? I wore it for every training session I attended for about 5 years, because I realized how much harder it made everything. I had to start paying attention to stuff that had become routine (like standing up). For about a year, I had to deal with the stumbles, trips, failed entries, and so forth. One instructor told me if we were sparring, it would get in my way - like that was a negative thing for me. That's actually why I like it.

That's awesome :) (I so would've opted for that too!)

Latest Discussions