One small step closer...

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by serietah, Mar 8, 2016.

1. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Then your real training starts :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    There's just something very cool about watching or participating in someone's journey. This thread has me wishing for the time and funds to go pursue another BB, as well as wishing for some advanced students creeping toward that target.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. serietah

serietah Green Belt

Yes...this is very true haha. Being my school's full time manager (and only employee) and technically the most senior instructor under the master, I already get a taste of more advanced training. Tomorrow I am going to start a 4 week class at a local preschool (pretty sure I've talked about this a couple of times since we've done it before), but this time I am teaching it alone. I worked with my master yesterday to create a lesson plan for the first class, and he has reassured me that I don't have to be perfect this time, I just need the experience. So tomorrow, off I go to lead a class. I'm actually, surprisingly, not nervous. Teaching is "my thing". I just love it, and while I have a LOT to learn, I've been given some very excellent resources for training.

• Like Like x 3
  4. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    Sounds like fun for someone who likes teaching kids!

5. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah that's so cool, teaching kids is alot of fun, enjoy yourself!

6. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

AKA not you :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes MT Moderator Staff Member

Or me.

I love teaching martial arts.
    I have a lot of respect for anyone who is good at teaching kids.
    I have no desire to teach a kids class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. serietah

serietah Green Belt

Well. I now have the date for my black belt test. November 17. I'm not "ready", so I'm glad I have 6 months, but I also can't wait for it to come. Technically I could pass the test now. I know all my forms, can do them at random without a problem (though I did mess up one block in Taegeuk 4 when I let myself get distracted by my aunt completely forgetting her form next to me) and know all the one step sparring and breaking techniques. But I'm not good enough yet. My master and I hold me to a higher standard than others. I want the guest masters who judge my test to have their jaws on the floor during my testing. I want them to be proud of my master for how he's trained me. That's my goal anyway. I want perfect scores and to LOOK like a black belt.

Last weekend, two kids who transferred to our school has higher belts did their black belt test. They both passed and became the first students to earn a black belt from our school, though they didn't get an official big black belt test. They just tested alone on a Saturday afternoon for just their families. My test will be at a gym away from our school and will be a huge deal where the whole school is invited. We'll be the first group to have trained from white belt at this school.

Tomorrow is our annual picnic. Last year we had around 30-40 people show up. This year we have over 100 coming. I am SO excited!

Finally, I've taught my 4 classes at that preschool, but i'm doing 2 bonus classes since we can't host a graduation for them tomorrow due to our picnic, and next week we're closed for memorial day. The classes have been going well and I'm getting the hang of redirecting kids who are just there to play around. That's really what I need. It seems to be helping with my regular teaching skills too. Two more classes, then I'm leading their graduation class for their parents. Fingers crossed I get a sign up or two out of it, but I'm thankful for the experience either way.

I was hoping to do my first "maintenance test" this month, since I got my "yes you can test" tip a month ago, but we haven't talked about it so I'm not sure if I am or not. It's not a big deal if I don't, since I won't be able to test for black belt until everyone else in the group is ready. But I'd like to, because earning tips is still very exciting. Black belt will be harder since tips only come every few months during level tests.

If you read this much..thanks! This has become kind of a blog for me. I enjoy going back and reading everything every so often, and seeing how far I've grown as a student and instructor. As always, thank you all for your support and encouragement!

• Like Like x 4
  9. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I love it when I hear someone who is confident they are ready AND still wants to get better by the test. Use that test to push yourself and be proud of what you achieve.

I've enjoyed reading your progress in this thread, Seietah. Your enthusiasm is a balm when the logistics of running a program become a bummer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Wow that's so awesome to hear there's a date in mind, well done on getting the nod of approval! You've come so far, and I know you'll do yourself and your club proud. I honestly can't wait until you've done it so we can hear all about it!

But yeah please keep us posted on how your training is going leading up to it, so awesome to hear :)

11. TrueJim

TrueJim Master Black Belt

I don't think this phenomenon ever goes away entirely. Our 7th dan kwanjangnim has been doing taekwondo for 40+ years, and even he will have a momentary brain fart once in a while. It can happen because the person next to you distracts you, or sometimes when you're teaching you get so focused on explaining that you lose focus on the doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. lianxi

lianxi Yellow Belt

[QUOTE="serietah, post: I am just so passionate about this already, and I had to share![/QUOTE]

Congratulations - especially since it's YOU doing the work that achieved this. Hope you follow the martial arts path for years to come!

13. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

14. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

We had a 5th dan doing a kata demonstration at one of our tournaments a few years ago (he was demonstrating, not competing). He completely froze right in the middle of it, forgetting where he was in that kata. He stood there a good 15-20 seconds with everyone cheering and saying stuff like “don’t start over, you got this.” He continued right where he paused after he got his bearings straight.

He’s competed a million times. He was doing a lower black belt rank kata. If he can forget, anyone can IMO.

It’s not if you mess up; it’s how you recover from it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

Outstanding!!! It is refreshing to hear the excitement of a new practitioner. Keep grinding and look for the new in each class.

16. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

The kick return is very much a knee/hip thing. Often I see people swinging their leg, not using their knee enough if at all making it hard to return. Flexibility in the hip and strength in the mid-section will help a lot as well. Time and patience.

17. serietah

serietah Green Belt

Tonight I had my first maintenance test! Basically a mock black belt test just for forms and breaking. I had the approval since April 19 but I’ve been waiting for the other double black stripes to be ready.

So tonight I was randomly assigned Taegeuk 6, then 4, then 8. Then did a 3 station breaking: knife hand, spinning kick, and flying side kick. I’ll have a breaking video for you guys soon I think. I nailed the forms, and broke every board in one try. Very happy!!!

Next is a 2 hour class sometime in the near future, then another maintenance test, then another 2 hour class....and then belt testing!

• Like Like x 3
  18. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Oh wow, that's so cool to hear, well done!! That's really exciting, and it's a great feeling when these little mini tests feel so smooth and you're in the zone.

Yes please do post a vid of your break!

19. Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5 Green Belt

A big thumbs up for you!!

Keep up the good work!

Best

20. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

Still my favorite thread here on martialtalk. Keep at it!123