One leg spinning back kick

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Saw this kick in the ufc last night. Great kick first I’ve ever seen in mma like that. It probably landed as it was so unexpected. You can see when the guy catches the kick it’s a pretty lazy catch and he was kind of just holding it maybe using it to catch a quick break But a great counter from the other guy.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Text book kick. it almost looks like a dril

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, but in the ring at game speed it definitely was not a drill. The drilling may have perfected the kick, but not many people can do that at game speed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yea, but in the ring at game speed it definitely was not a drill. The drilling may have perfected the kick, but not many people can do that at game speed.
If you train that, then you can do it at game speed. Most people probably don't train it, which is why they can't do it at game speed.

If you look at how calm he is when he does the kick, I would say that he trains that kick a lot,. It also looks like the guy holding his foot almost helps him to turn into the kick. That's not the type of kick someone would be able to do if they haven't trained that kick or a similar kick. The kicker probably sensed that the movement felt like a kick that he does often and he just went with the flow instead of fighting it.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great kick, but I think it's something he trains. If I like to kick people then I also have to train what to do if someone catches my kick. For me personally, I have trained that so much that I will often bait people in hopes that they will catch my leg. I know I can't be the only person in the world that thinks that way. He was very calm when he kicked so that tells me that it's something he's familiar with, most likely something he trains.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, that definitely ranks in the craziest KOs category.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That’s really not too difficult a kick if you’re a kicker, especially if the opponent helps out by standing there holding your other leg up. It took some stones to go all in with it, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That’s really not too difficult a kick if you’re a kicker, especially if the opponent helps out by standing there holding your other leg up. It took some stones to go all in with it, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't do good martial arts by going in half way. It's either all the way or not at all. You either trust the technique and see it through or be indecisive about it and possibly pay a bigger price.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Far out... awesome! That's one of my favourite kicks in sparring (minus the leg being caught), but to the body, can whip it round super quick!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a difficult kick, but not a high percentage move either. It's one of those things that if everything clicks just right, you'll get the chance to throw it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree with Dirty Dog, it is a super low percentage kick in real application, something beyond classroom practice/sparring. If it had a higher likelihood of success don't think you would see it more? And if that was the case it wouldn't even make the highlight reel like it did.
It is a great what if or tool bag kick to have available I agree. Definitely a younger persons kick since it takes a good bit of agility and flexibility, not so much of a technical kick as a flashy kick. But if it works, I will take it.
The kind of thing that makes MMA enjoyable to watch because it rarely ever happens.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time I watch that clip I am still amazed. Not sure you can effectively drill that kind of kick. Not in the way you can drill other techniques to put into your tool bag. To me, that situation doesn't occur enough to dedicate the time to make a kick like that proficient. That being said, it is a very inspired kick and I expect it was more reactionary (like I want this guy to drop my foot) than thinking this is the perfect opportunity to pull this kick out of my bag and KO is guy. Be interesting to hear his thoughts about it and I bet this will be the most practiced kick in training halls for the next short while.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every time I watch that clip I am still amazed. Not sure you can effectively drill that kind of kick. Not in the way you can drill other techniques to put into your tool bag. To me, that situation doesn't occur enough to dedicate the time to make a kick like that proficient. That being said, it is a very inspired kick and I expect it was more reactionary (like I want this guy to drop my foot) than thinking this is the perfect opportunity to pull this kick out of my bag and KO is guy. Be interesting to hear his thoughts about it and I bet this will be the most practiced kick in training halls for the next short while.
Agree. I have not tried to go back and watch the fight before the kick. Possibly the guy was grabbing the foot a lot and the kicker already had the kick in mind and was ready for an opportunity to throw it.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree. I have not tried to go back and watch the fight before the kick. Possibly the guy was grabbing the foot a lot and the kicker already had the kick in mind and was ready for an opportunity to throw it.
Here is the post fight interview. Looks like you called it:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure you can effectively drill that kind of kick. Not in the way you can drill other techniques to put into your tool bag.
Sure you can. I drilled stuff like that all the time. when I was taking classes Not that specific kick, but what do when someone captures my kick.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's an easy kick to train, you just have to use a spotter. It's an easy kick to throw and an even easier kick to counter.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure you can. I drilled stuff like that all the time. when I was taking classes Not that specific kick, but what do when someone captures my kick.

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people drilling that kick from now on so I am sure there are many that are going to look for ways to drill it effectively. If enough people put the effort in to design a way to teach it, I suppose methods can be developed to drill it effectively. Since the counter to that move is simply dropping the foot, I still don't think the time and effort to 'drill' it makes a lot of sense in the overall scheme of things but it is a cool kick none the less and some people are going to run with it and try to emulate it.

It's an easy kick to train, you just have to use a spotter. It's an easy kick to throw and an even easier kick to counter.

Agree 100% on the ease to counter. Now that we have seen someone effectively use it at the highest level, there will be people that will develop it. Still seems like a high risk kick where you land at a disadvantage. Will certainly be interesting to see where it goes from here.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people drilling that kick from now on so I am sure there are many that are going to look for ways to drill it effectively. If enough people put the effort in to design a way to teach it, I suppose methods can be developed to drill it effectively.
The success of this kick has more to do with how someone grabs your kick and less about the kick itself. In short, the type of foot grab dictates the type of kick you can use to get out of it.

The foot grab that the MMA guy uses should not have been a grab at all. That grab should have been carried out as a scoop which moves the foot out of the way so you can advance and attack. But it's not enough to just move the kicking foot out of the way. You have to move that foot/leg so that it creates an imbalance which prevents your opponent from countering. If you just swipe it out of the way then your opponent will still be able to turn into the kick. The sland thing you want to do is hold onto the foot without pulling it, pushing it, throwing it, lifting it or locking it. He would have been safe had he done one of those things.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
some people are going to run with it and try to emulate it.
Yeah they will learn the hard way that the kick will only work with certain foot grabs. It only works for certain types of grabs.

In reality there are limited ways to grab a foot so you should be able to drill the counters fairly easily. For a higher success with this kick you have to learn how to bait the so that they are more likely to grab the foot the way that you need them to grab it. I personally use a kick, that causes my opponent to reach for my foot a specific way. It works 95% of the time without fail. The other 5% would be screwing up the bait. It's not the same kick that we saw in the video, but I'm guessing the need for a set up would be needed. Stuff like that you don't want to hope that your opponent grabs your foot a certain way. You would want to have more influence than just hope.

Latest Discussions