Rear Leg Side Kick

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your hand is going to leave your face it should do so in a way that doesn't allow a free shot to the head.

If someone for example was to downward block a body shot the the next time the shot thrown as a fake should catch them.

So then if you downward blocked you would also need to cut angles or move your head.

Bear in mind a downward block is kind of what stops a take down. So then people fake the take down.

If you were downward blocking a round kick. I just wouldn't.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your hand is going to leave your face it should do so in a way that doesn't allow a free shot to the head.

If someone for example was to downward block a body shot the the next time the shot thrown as a fake should catch them.

So then if you downward blocked you would also need to cut angles or move your head.

Bear in mind a downward block is kind of what stops a take down. So then people fake the take down.

If you were downward blocking a round kick. I just wouldn't.

There is no way to guard 100% of the available striking targets. I'm having trouble finding the video from Bill Wallace, but it was a seminar where he was explaining how these advanced kickboxers can get hit by kicks if they know all of the kicks. To summarize:
  • First he did a body-level roundhouse, until his partner could block it with a down block
  • Then he did a head-level roundhouse, until his partner started blocking that with a higher outside block
  • He went back to the body-level roundhouse. His partner had to use both hands to protect himself from the roundhouse kick - the down block as before, but the other hand had to come over to protect the head
  • That left his whole other side open for a hook kick
He didn't even need to fake the kick. He used the same chamber for all of them. The same knee up and body rotation, which could turn into a body roundhouse, a head roundhouse, or a hook kick. He didn't show (but probably could have) the side kick, which would go straight through all of those blocks that are covering the sides.

But if you opt to not block those body kicks...you're going to absorb them all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If that round kick is targeted between the hip and the armpit, the downward block is a good way to catch it.

Because you are going over the top of the leg and scooping it?

And not blocking it then scooping the leg the other way.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no way to guard 100% of the available striking targets. I'm having trouble finding the video from Bill Wallace, but it was a seminar where he was explaining how these advanced kickboxers can get hit by kicks if they know all of the kicks. To summarize:
  • First he did a body-level roundhouse, until his partner could block it with a down block
  • Then he did a head-level roundhouse, until his partner started blocking that with a higher outside block
  • He went back to the body-level roundhouse. His partner had to use both hands to protect himself from the roundhouse kick - the down block as before, but the other hand had to come over to protect the head
  • That left his whole other side open for a hook kick
He didn't even need to fake the kick. He used the same chamber for all of them. The same knee up and body rotation, which could turn into a body roundhouse, a head roundhouse, or a hook kick. He didn't show (but probably could have) the side kick, which would go straight through all of those blocks that are covering the sides.

But if you opt to not block those body kicks...you're going to absorb them all.

I use a completely different system to stop kicks I think.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you are going over the top of the leg and scooping it?

And not blocking it then scooping the leg the other way.

It's always difficult to describe these things....

You throw a right leg roundhouse at my kidneys. I'm standing left leg forward. My left arm drops to block the kick, bends at the elbow and catches the kick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's always difficult to describe these things....

You throw a right leg roundhouse at my kidneys. I'm standing left leg forward. My left arm drops to block the kick, bends at the elbow and catches the kick.

Yeah I don't like that one. Either people tend to just kick my arm or it gets pushed put in to my head.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't like that one. Either people tend to just kick my arm or it gets pushed put in to my head.

Works well for me (and no, it's not my only option) but maybe I've spent more time practicing it than you, or maybe we just move differently.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I slap block kicks, or turn my body and absorb on the arm. I can block other ways, but prefer slap blocks.

And, yes, I smashed a few fingers the first few years, part of the cost I guess. And, yes, I know there are some folks who throw really powerful kicks. They're the ones who taught me. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Works well for me (and no, it's not my only option) but maybe I've spent more time practicing it than you, or maybe we just move differently.
It works for me as well. I like to use both arms as a trap.

- The bottom arm block the kick and wrap under the leg.
- The upper arm protect the head and wrap over the leg.

To catch a high/middle level roundhouse kick is one of the 1st degree black belt testing requirement for ACSCA.

I try to catch roundhouse kick and side kick. I don't like to catch front kick.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you catch the thigh it ain't gonna hurt. If you catch the shin, then it'll hurt (and possibly break).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use a completely different system to stop kicks I think.

That's not my only system. That's just if I'm using my arms. A lot of kicks I simply try to evade. But in order for me to kick my opponent, I have to be in his kicking range. Using the guard to protect me helps.

Using legs to block kicks is a no-go because of the rules in TKD sparring:
  1. Kicks are mainly to the body or head, which makes it harder
  2. Also blocking kicks with your legs is against the rules

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I slap block kicks, or turn my body and absorb on the arm. I can block other ways, but prefer slap blocks.

And, yes, I smashed a few fingers the first few years, part of the cost I guess. And, yes, I know there are some folks who throw really powerful kicks. They're the ones who taught me. :)
Can you define "slap block" for me? I've never heard that term before.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you define "slap block" for me? I've never heard that term before.

It’s just blocking anything with an open, slightly cupped hand, the contact point being your palm and slightly curled fingers, thumb tight to forefinger.

It’s accompanied with head movement and footwork and it’s very quick. It’s particularly effective against really fast people. It draws away their speed and tends to frustrate them when countered. They tend to then increase their power, which you slap block and counter as well.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you catch the thigh it ain't gonna hurt. If you catch the shin, then it'll hurt (and possibly break).
With a roundhouse using top of the foot probably not.
I had my right thigh muscle separated/torn by an Ax(ish) kick. Hurt like hxxx. After the match my leg started swelling big time and turning blue and it had a divot in it. It was not a circuit tournament so I bowed out. Took about 3 weeks to heal.
This is big reason I talk about heel kicks if wearing hard shoes when training SD/SA.

When you say 'catch the shin' are you talking about when someone who is leg checking? I would think there is enough flex in the member for it not to hurt that much.
A good 'sneaky' block for roundhouse kicks is to use your elbow. A good way to give your opponent a goose egg on the top of their foot. If they are kicking hard this plays to your advantage.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With a roundhouse using top of the foot probably not.
I had my right thigh muscle separated/torn by an Ax(ish) kick. Hurt like hxxx. After the match my leg started swelling big time and turning blue and it had a divot in it. It was not a circuit tournament so I bowed out. Took about 3 weeks to heal.
This is big reason I talk about heel kicks if wearing hard shoes when training SD/SA.

When you say 'catch the shin' are you talking about when someone who is leg checking? I would think there is enough flex in the member for it not to hurt that much.
A good 'sneaky' block for roundhouse kicks is to use your elbow. A good way to give your opponent a goose egg on the top of their foot. If they are kicking hard this plays to your advantage.

I mean if I block the thigh, the kick doesn't have as much power as if I block the shin or the foot. I catch the kick at a closer point to the fulcrum so there's less speed.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean if I block the thigh, the kick doesn't have as much power as if I block the shin or the foot. I catch the kick at a closer point to the fulcrum so there's less speed.
I do remember someone jamming my thigh, it is a very strong muscle. They would have to be in pretty close, too close for comfort. How do you block the thigh?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s just blocking anything with an open, slightly cupped hand, the contact point being your palm and slightly curled fingers, thumb tight to forefinger.

It’s accompanied with head movement and footwork and it’s very quick. It’s particularly effective against really fast people. It draws away their speed and tends to frustrate them when countered. They tend to then increase their power, which you slap block and counter as well.
Okay, sounds pretty much like our "push block".

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do remember someone jamming my thigh, it is a very strong muscle. They would have to be in pretty close, too close for comfort. How do you block the thigh?

With your knee, usually.The elbow can be used too. Also, one method I've used to get students to stop telegraphing kicks is to kick them in the thigh as they start the kick.