No Quidditch in the next Harry Potter movie?!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Say it ain't so! Mugglenet posted this audio clip of Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), who stated that the "Order of the Phoenix" movie isn't going to have any Quidditch: http://media.mugglenet.com/20060829-rupertnoquidditch/rupert_noquidditch.mp3

Granted, OoTP has over 900 pages, but they can't cut out Quidditch. It was a big part of the story, and was a major character builder for Ron. He finally came out of Harry's shadow a bit. So it looks like character development is going to suffer again, like the GoF movie.

I hate to say this, but I think OoTP is going to suck.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is nearly as shocking Peter Jackson leaving out Tom Bombadil and the journey through the barrow downs (LOTR) which was great material for special effects and was an excellent part of the story.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT?!?! that is so, so wrong!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sucks.GIF

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how can you have harry potter nad no quiddictch!!!!:idunno:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
That is nearly as shocking Peter Jackson leaving out Tom Bombadil and the journey through the barrow downs (LOTR) which was great material for special effects and was an excellent part of the story.

Nah, he was right to leave that out. But Quidditch...that's different!

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
They need to bring Chris Columbus back as the director. The quality of the Harry Potter movies went down drastically after CoS, though PoA was okay. GoF cut out WAY too much character development - not to mention the Quidditch World Cup. I'm still made about them cutting the match out.

This isn't just a "sport" we're talking about. Much of Harry's and Ron's character development (and Ginny's to a lesser degree) happened on the Quidditch field. Cutting that out of the OoTP movie is going to lead to serious deficiencies in the next movie (that is, if the movie franchise is still around). Not to mention that Quidditch is one of the coolest things about the books.

I'm still going to catch the movie during the opening weekend. Though I probably will end up complaining during the entire flick. :cuss:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I'm still going to catch the movie during the opening weekend. Though I probably will end up complaining during the entire flick. :cuss:
Gee now you know how I felt about the first three prequels to Star Wars.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Though I probably will end up complaining during the entire flick. :cuss:
Ah, so you're one of those people I throw popcorn at? :p

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wouldnt it be better if they left out all the characters and plots, then they could put something in that adults could enjoy?

(Irony present in this post)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, mugglenet reported this twice. You must've missed the first one.

Edit: does anyone else remember Rita Skeeter telling Hermione that "The prophet exists to sell itself, you silly girl"

Same with the movies.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Ah, so you're one of those people I throw popcorn at? :p

Actually...I'm the one who usually shushes others during a movie. I very rarely talk during movies. The only time when I *did* was while watching the Star Wars prequels (though it was more groaning than talking) and the last Star Trek movie, "Nemesis". Although the friends I went with also did their share of talking, because that movie SUCKED. The other three people in the movie theater didn't mind our talking. I kid you not; it was the opening weekend for "Nemesis", and there were only eight of us in the theater.

Sam said:
Yeah, mugglenet reported this twice. You must've missed the first one.

Edit: does anyone else remember Rita Skeeter telling Hermione that "The prophet exists to sell itself, you silly girl"

Same with the movies.

I haven't read Mugglenet in a while, which was probably why I missed this bit of news the first time around.

I don't remember Rita Skeeter interacting with Hermione at all in the GoF movie, another thing I was mad about. But, yeah...the Harry Potter movies will sell themselves, regardless of the quality of the product.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I don't remember Rita Skeeter interacting with Hermione at all in the GoF movie, another thing I was mad about. But, yeah...the Harry Potter movies will sell themselves, regardless of the quality of the product.

...it was from the book.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:
...it was from the book.

Oh yeah, that explains it. Another important plot device that the GoF movie jettisoned.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Actually...I'm the one who usually shushes others during a movie. I very rarely talk during movies.
Reminds me of when I went to see The Last Samurai on opening day with my son. There were two guys sitting one seat to my right that started the movie out with their own sarcastic commentary. I told them to "Shut up or take their commentary outside" loud enough half the theater turned around. :D They quited down after some minor threats from them and some hard looks from me and then they started talking amongst themselves about cutting someone (assuming directed at me). Needless to say, after the movie I stood up first and slightly turned toward them and they both bolted out the other side of the row, nearly stumbling over each other. :p

Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Reminds me of when I went to see The Last Samurai on opening day with my son. There were two guys sitting one seat to my right that started the movie out with their own sarcastic commentary. I told them to "Shut up or take their commentary outside" loud enough half the theater turned around. :D They quited down after some minor threats from them and some hard looks from me and then they started talking amongst themselves about cutting someone (assuming directed at me). Needless to say, after the movie I stood up first and slightly turned toward them and they both bolted out the other side of the row, nearly stumbling over each other. :p

hehe , go bigshadow!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Preview photos of the cast of The Order Of The Phoenix...
Pretty kewl stuff if you ask me... :D Dang those kids are growing!

1. Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood, William Melling as Nigel and Alfred Enoch as Dean Thomas

2. Bonnie Wright as Ginny Weasley, Shefali Chowdhury as Parvati Patil, Oliver Phelps as George Weasley, Afshan Azad as Padma Patil, Katie Leung as Cho Chang, James Phelps as Fred Weasley (those Phelps/Weasley twins are getting big!)

3. Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, Matthew Lewis as Neville Longbottom, Emma Watson as Hermione Granger, Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley

4. (everybody say booo- hisss) Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge

5. Emma Watson as Hermione Granger, Rupert Grint as Won Weasley, Daniel Radcliff as Hairy Pothead.

Attachments

• $phoenix griffithdor.jpg
    $phoenix griffithdor.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 163
  • $phoenix gryffindor.jpg
    $phoenix gryffindor.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 154
  • $phoneix four.jpg
    $phoneix four.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 150
  • $phoenix Umbridge.jpg
    $phoenix Umbridge.jpg