new mom

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
michelle_gonzales74 said:
he does love his wrestling and is very good... that is why his coach recommended this teacher.

the class Mario(thats my sons name) goes to is not in a regular "dojo" or "gym"... he does semi private classes in his teachers home that part of has been turned into a studio. he studies kung fu and competes in san shou/shuai jiao. he studied under phil romero who is pretty well known in new mexico for his wing chun training.

Ah, wing chun, that is something that I have some experience with. I don't know Phil Romero, so I can't comment on that. Wing Chun is quite a bit different from San Shou and Shuai Jiao. It is a stand-up, punching and kicking art, but has a lot of "trapping" and pinning of appendages, done from a standup position. It can be very effective, but is not one of the "flowery" or pretty styles. It's actually kind of an ugly style, but I like it quite a bit. Is he teaching this to your son?

OP
michelle_gonzales74

michelle_gonzales74

White Belt
Reaction score
no.. he trained in it and still practices but said he will not teach anyone that young wing chun but that he would be willing to see how he progresses and maybe one day in the future would love to work with him. he said that wing chun is not for someone to take lightly and is a very serious issue.(i dont quite understand this).anyways, marios just happy hes on a mat.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no.. he trained in it and still practices but said he will not teach anyone that young wing chun but that he would be willing to see how he progresses and maybe one day in the future would love to work with him. he said that wing chun is not for someone to take lightly and is a very serious issue.(i dont quite understand this).anyways, marios just happy hes on a mat.

I can understand his position. It is really not something that someone would do casually, for exercise or something. It is really a no-nonsense fighting art, very straight forward and to the point. It also has subtlties that can be difficult for someone so young to grasp, but at the same time can become quite effective after a short period of training.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Mom!

Attachments

• $Hi_Mom!.jpg
    $Hi_Mom!.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 115

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Michelle!!

Welcome to MT!!

As far as what you can do to help your son, - you are doing it!! I think it's great that you are visiting the classes, watching what the Instructor does, and seeing for yourself how the class is run and how your son is doing. The fact that you have people you already know and trust giving input (your brother, the wrestling coach) is a big plus, too.

I have three children (12, 11, and 9), two of whom have been doing Tae Kwon Do for three years now. It has been a great help for physical activity, discipline (my youngest is ADHD and is being evaluated this month for Ausberger's), social interaction, and self esteem. I'm sure your son will love it.

I look forward to seeing your posts on the forum, and to comparing notes about kids.

God bless,
Ann R.

OP
michelle_gonzales74

michelle_gonzales74

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help guys... and thanks to all for the warm greeting...

to ninjamom: i have 3 kids too. all boys 13,8,5. the others didnt want to try it. the only sport they are into is baseball. mario is the only one that is into everything! he does hockey from october till march, wrestling from jan till june, baseball from may till july,soccer from august till october. then of course now we have his kung fu class year round. its been real different to have a kid want to do soooo much with as young as he is.

his teacher now wants to move him to the intermediate class. he said he is advanced for his age as far as focus and that the time on the mat helped with his moving foward in the class.(because he knows the rolls and some of the takedowns). he thinks if he puts him in a class with older kids(not that much older really) that it will challenge him a little more and that he will be able to advance faster in that class. is it normal for a teacher to move kids up that fast?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
his teacher now wants to move him to the intermediate class. he said he is advanced for his age as far as focus and that the time on the mat helped with his moving foward in the class.(because he knows the rolls and some of the takedowns). he thinks if he puts him in a class with older kids(not that much older really) that it will challenge him a little more and that he will be able to advance faster in that class. is it normal for a teacher to move kids up that fast?

If he has the focus and the discipline, the extra challenge may be what he needs. This happened with my older son (kenpo) and his cousin (jujitsu). The main thing you do need to watch out for is "burn out" or "hitting plateaus" that your son will encounter. It is good for kids to take a break every once in a while. This will help maintain the interest (provided the break isn't too long) and actually could improve their progress. My second son and my daughter moves at the regular pace.

It is funny, my two sons started out at the same time. When my older one moved up (different motivation and focus ability), they actually got along better now without the pressure of competition (from being at the same level/rank). Even going at a regular pace for my second son, he does take breaks whenever needed too.

- Ceicei

J

jasonearle

what's kickin Michelle? I guess now you have 2 sites you can go to to talk to me or ask me questions. Cool Beans!

Latest Discussions