mythological figures

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure that that is the major interpretation of the sphere of influence of Hermes, ST. It is true that as well as his more 'honourable' aspects, Hermes is a trickster and a thief but I thought that it was only tangential that he was a 'thief of love'? Most Grecian divinities have a certain sexual aspect - it's a facet of the (ancient) culture.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure that that is the major interpretation of the sphere of influence of Hermes, ST. It is true that as well as his more 'honourable' aspects, Hermes is a trickster and a thief but I thought that it was only tangential that he was a 'thief of love'? Most Grecian divinities have a certain sexual aspect - it's a facet of the (ancient) culture.
I believe the spread of disease was a major cause in the de-sexualiztion of religion.
Sean

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's an insightful point. ToD and one that would bear deeper investigation. However, I must bid my farewells for tonight as it nears 3AM and I have to be up for work :eek:!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manawydden, from the Mabinogion, the wise, compassionate brother of Bran the Blessed, who tried to prevent the catatrophic war with Ireland and who freed his consort Rhiannon and her son Pryderi from imprisonment by the Lord of the Bright Realm... cool-headed, warm-hearted, with tremendous power—and caution to match about using it...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Beowulf, most definitely. that guy was just as tough as can be.

I believe the early portions of the poem, where the heros get to boast a bit about past accomplishments, relates where Beowulf and a friend had a swimming contest wherein they were out to sea for something like weeks, in full armor and weapons, swimming for all they are worth, and sea monsters attack and pull him down to the bottom, where he defeats them, and still wins the swimming contest, maybe even saves his friend. I don't remember exactly, it's probably time to read it again. Ah, ya gotta love the hero epics!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know about "most important" but I've always been partial to Loki, as I think it's important to have a mythical figure who is a trickster - Coyote, in some American Indian mythology.

A favorite, however, would be Minerva (since Carol already said Athena!) - a female figure who is wise and compassionate...

You can pick Athena too. :)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm picking Scathach

She's the woman who trained a lot of the male heroes and was a fantastic healer and prophetess, in her time women had a much greater respect, as only they could teach men, and only men could teach women, giving them an equality. If I've got to go back in time and be a mythical/historical figure.... I'll be a kick-*** healing woman with equality please.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are missing the point. Go rent "Remo Williams the Adventure Begins" or simply read a few of over 100 novels by Richard Sapire and Warren Murphy called "The Destroyer". I have read almost all of them. I wouldn't be in the Martial Arts were it not for these books.(I was very young when exposed to the awesome powers of Shiva)
Sean

I am created Shiva the Destroyer...Death..The shatter of worlds..The dead night tiger made whole by the Master of Sinanju..Who is this dog meat that chalenger me..

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm picking Scathach

She's the woman who trained a lot of the male heroes and was a fantastic healer and prophetess, in her time women had a much greater respect, as only they could teach men, and only men could teach women, giving them an equality. If I've got to go back in time and be a mythical/historical figure.... I'll be a kick-*** healing woman with equality please.

The situation with Scathach and Cuchullain is very interesting. some scholars have theorised that the world outside in which Scathach dwelled was possibly a place in Scotland or northern England. Now what makes this really interesting is that the Brigante people come from northern England and Boudica was a Brigante. There may have been some tradition which she tapped into to allow her to lead an army.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always figured being Heimdall would be alright.

Heimdall was the Norse god who guards the only entrance to Asgard. He needs almost no sleep, has bat like hearing, and can see for hundreds of miles. Downside is during the final battle for Asgard he kills Loki, but dies as well. Oh well, can't live forever I guess, and those solid gold teeth would probably have been the bling to catch a few honeys before I got married.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Heimdall was the Norse god who guards the only entrance to Asgard. He needs almost no sleep, has bat like hearing, and can see for hundreds of miles. Downside is during the final battle for Asgard he kills Loki, but dies as well. Oh well, can't live forever I guess, and those solid gold teeth would probably have been the bling to catch a few honeys before I got married.

Hey, I remember him... he guards the Bifrost bridge, isn't that right?

Gotta love those Scandinavian mythologies... such a stoically tragic view of life, eh? The final battle, Gottedamerung, is about as a depressing a vision of the End of All Things as you can find...

you sure you want to be Heimdall, Scott??

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, I remember him... he guards the Bifrost bridge, isn't that right?

A+ for paying attention in class during school. I heard about him in 6th grade and it stuck with me. I used to switch between wanting to be Loki and Heimdall, but settled on Heimdall years ago. (Will not say exactly, but 6th grade was 30+ years ago.

Gotta love those Scandinavian mythologies... such a stoically tragic view of life, eh? The final battle, Gottedamerung, is about as a depressing a vision of the End of All Things as you can find...

you sure you want to be Heimdall, Scott??

Yeah I know, but really, when you think about him in context of what his main job is (keeping the Giants from invading Asgard) and being a warrior, a life in Valhalla would be stressful without anybody to be on guard against and would be unbearable after a while, so better to die defending something you care about, than languish in obscurity you know.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Are you sure? Heimdall has always had a reputation as being a little slow, very steadfast, but not firing on all cylinders.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A+ for paying attention in class during school. I heard about him in 6th grade and it stuck with me. I used to switch between wanting to be Loki and Heimdall, but settled on Heimdall years ago. (Will not say exactly, but 6th grade was 30+ years ago.

When I was a kid, I started reading a lot of mythology—Greek myths (the very gritty Robert Graves versions, not the prettied-up tales from Bullfinch and Co.), Icelandic saga and Welsh myths from the Mabinogi, and for some reason, the fact that Heimdall guarded a bridge called Bifrost stuck with me—I pictured it as a delicate ice-structure kind of thingie. I always disliked Loki—he seemed like a professional malcontent, the kind of guy we all know who pisses people off with stupid actions and obnoxious statements and then figure it's all their fault.

Yeah I know, but really, when you think about him in context of what his main job is (keeping the Giants from invading Asgard) and being a warrior, a life in Valhalla would be stressful without anybody to be on guard against and would be unbearable after a while, so better to die defending something you care about, than languish in obscurity you know.

No question, it's a wonderful ideal to have to live up to! I actually like the darkness of Scandinavian mythology. In a lot of religious/mythological traditions, you're basically given the assurance that there will be a reward in the next life for the pain suffered in this one, that in the end the Good will triumph over the Bad and so on... things we'd all like to believe. But the ancient Scandinavians were a lot grimmer than that: they never lost sight of the the power of evil. No eternal harp-playing; instead, Surtur sets fire to the world and burns down the world-tree Yggsdrasil, the Fenris Wolf shows up and... does really awful stuff and... that's all folks.

I dimly recall that that wasn't quite all, actually. Loki, Surtur, the Asgaardians and so on almost all die in the final fiery battle, but a few survive and the universe is recreated... it's kind of vague, though. Am I making that last part up? I seem to recall reading it in a couple of overview sources on Nordic mythology... but maybe it's just wishful thinking?

Latest Discussions