mythological figures

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which figure in mythology would you be or which do you feel was the most important

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ogma - what could be of greater impact that bringing the gift of writing to mankind?

Everything else flows from the transmission of the wisdom of previous generations. Without it we'd still be wearing skins and chasing after prey with fire hardened wooden sticks (or maybe wouldn't have ousted the Neanderthal).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always been quite fond of Indra the king of the Vedic Indian gods, but I truly have a soft spot for the Aztec god Tlahuiztelpantecuhtli because his name translates as "Warrior of the Dawn Star".

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
any of the norse gods, or heroes, or even just regular folks.

valhalla means drinking, wenching and fighting for eternity.

sign me right the hell up.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Athena.

A goddess strong and smart.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on chaps ... a little 'why' to go with the 'what' would be good.

Carol's choice I can understand from what I read in her posts - the Goddess of virtuous valour and wisdom - but 'Echidna', HK? My multi-panthenic knowledge obviously has gaps so a little illuminating help would be good :D. And why Shiva, ToD, a goddess with many negatice assocations?

Understand I'm not being critical of anyones choices here, I'm just intrigued as to what lies behind them (and eager to learn when those choices are of divinities I don't know much about).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on chaps ... a little 'why' to go with the 'what' would be good.

Carol's choice I can understand from what I read in her posts - the Godess of virtuous valour and wisdom - but 'Echidna', HK? My multi-panthenic knowledge obviously has gaps so a little illuminating help would be good :D. And why Shiva, ToD, a goddess with many negatice assocations?

Understand I'm not being critical of anyones choices here, I'm just intrigued as to what lies behind them (and eager to learn when those choices are of divinities I don't know much about).
The Fact that you don't recognize the term "Destroyer" scares me. Are you sure you study the Martial arts? Remo Williams? hello!
Sean

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@ToD

Okay. Not an association I'd choose for myself but each to their own.

I know the background to the Shivan cult quite well, I just wondered if there was a deeper association/inference you drew (other than the 'death' aspect) that would help me understand why you chose her as the divinity you would like to be or reckoned to be most significant?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
@ToD

I know the background to the Shivan cult quite well, I just wondered if there was a deeper association/inference you drew (other than the 'death' aspect) that would help me understand why you chose her as the divinity you would like to be or reckoned to be most significant?
You are missing the point. Go rent "Remo Williams the Adventure Begins" or simply read a few of over 100 novels by Richard Sapire and Warren Murphy called "The Destroyer". I have read almost all of them. I wouldn't be in the Martial Arts were it not for these books.(I was very young when exposed to the awesome powers of Shiva)
Sean

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
@ToD

Just a minor thing. Shiva is most assuredly male. You might be confusing the Ender of Eras with his rather pugnacious spouse Parvati, sometimes known as Kali, the Dark Mother.

And as for the why you asked about. Indra, a monster-slayer and great warrior who protects the world from destruction. That's pretty cool. But the Warrior of the Dawn Star (Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli - spelled it slightly wrong the first time) he is the great fighting spirit that seeks to destroy the Sun each morning. A terrifying warrior and patron of sacred warfare for the Aztecs. He's not such a nice guy as Indra.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: We obviously need a smiley for my totally failing to grasp what's going on :D. Sorry, my friends; it's late, what can I say :O. You're quite right about my cross-fertilising mythology, ST - darned chardonnay :hic:.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which figure in mythology would you be or which do you feel was the most important

I don't know about "most important" but I've always been partial to Loki, as I think it's important to have a mythical figure who is a trickster - Coyote, in some American Indian mythology.

A favorite, however, would be Minerva (since Carol already said Athena!) - a female figure who is wise and compassionate...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know about "most important" but I've always been partial to Loki, as I think it's important to have a mythical figure who is a trickster - Coyote, in some American Indian mythology.

A favorite, however, would be Minerva (since Carol already said Athena!) - a female figure who is wise and compassionate...
Loki is very Athenic. His influance was meant to scare people in compliance with tradition; where as, Athena incourages a break from tradition.
Sean

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, what an interesting thread. I must say that I'm a bit surprised at some of the Eastern mythological references but when I think about it I really shouldn't be surprised. I guess that's residual thinking based upon my more Euro-centric exposure to myths.

Having said that. I think Vishnu is pretty cool. Creating and destroying Universes while breathing as he sleeps is an intrigueing idea to me.

My son says he's Hermes because he is the nicest God who didn't get punished for being nice. He also doesn't want to have vultures eating out his liver. There's something about being the God of lying as well but I'm in way too deep now and I don't have a clue about what he is talking about.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, what an interesting thread. I must say that I'm a bit surprised at some of the Eastern mythological references but when I think about it I really shouldn't be surprised. I guess that's residual thinking based upon my more Euro-centric exposure to myths.

Having said that. I think Vishnu is pretty cool. Creating and destroying Universes while breathing as he sleeps is an intrigueing idea to me.

My son says he's Hermes because he is the nicest God who didn't get punished for being nice. He also doesn't want to have vultures eating out his liver. There's something about being the God of lying as well but I'm in way too deep now and I don't have a clue about what he is talking about.

You do realise that Hermes is the god of lust don't you? Greece is littered with statues of the rampant little, or should I say big, fellow.

Latest Discussions